Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indiana Jones Raiders Hat Brim Shape

ninman

One of the Regulars
The other question is do Hats Direct ship from the US or the UK, because I don't want to get hit for a customs charge if I order one?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Hope for one of the British loungers see the question. I believe all packages from US are checked by UK customs - just like in DK - and that means "customs fee and VAT". From Australia to the UK I'm not sure.

ninman

One of the Regulars
Can someone post some pictures of their adventurer hat? I've been looking at old threads and a lot of the pictures aren't viewable anymore.

Thanks a lot.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Maybe it's just the pictures then, because the pictures on this site show a pretty strong flange.

https://hatsdirect.com/products/federation-iv-deluxe-open-crown

Now I'm starting to think I should buy one.

....I'm not seeing that in any of the pictures.

What's your frame of reference for a strong flange?

Let me put it this way, I worked the edges of the brim on my fed for months to make it look more flanged.

That's MORE curled than an off the rack Fed because I made it that way.

Last edited:

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
....I'm not seeing that in any of the pictures.

What's your frame of reference for a strong flange?

Let me put it this way, I worked the edges of the brim on my fed for months to make it look more flanged.

That's MORE curled than an off the rack Fed because I made it that way.
I had to do the same with mine. I've had to do brim shaping on all my Feds.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Can someone post some pictures of their adventurer hat? I've been looking at old threads and a lot of the pictures aren't viewable anymore.

Thanks a lot.

Be careful with that whole Adventurer model of hat from Akubra. There are two very different hats with that same name. David Morgan has an Indy styled hat with that name which is nice and Everything Australian has one which is similar to the Coober Pedy which is nice, but NOTHING like the Indy hat aside from a dimensional brim. They say it is and the photo seems a bit like it, but it has a hard and low crown with taper.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Maybe it's just the pictures then, because the pictures on this site show a pretty strong flange.

https://hatsdirect.com/products/federation-iv-deluxe-open-crown

Now I'm starting to think I should buy one.

Look again. There is not much flange to their Feds. If you want a lot of flange, get a CampDraft; buy a flange or be prepared to train it by hand.

Having said that, they are nice hats. I plan to get one in gray before much longer.

PHIL1959

One of the Regulars
The other question is do Hats Direct ship from the US or the UK, because I don't want to get hit for a customs charge if I order one?
I've bought several hats from everything Australian and have never had to pay an import charge.About to order a fed from Hats direct and hope not to be stung with import charges.
All hats i've bought from America have been stopped by UK customs and i've been charged duty

Edward

Bartender
Ok, but the thing is that a hat like a Federation 4 has a much larger flange than his hat. His hat looks nearly flat, with a very slight lip in it. So how would I get a hat like like the Federation 4 to look that way?

Akubras respond very well to steam in my experience - hold itg over the kettle while it boils (watch yer fingers), then hand-shape. Easy-peasy.

They ship from Australia. Usually takes ten days. I've bought about seven hats from them over the years, and never been stung by import. HMRC do keep a much tighter watch on US mail, ime.

Probably also worth noting that the Aus Dollar seems to be very weak against the pound at the minute, whereas the US dollar is pretty stron,g so Aus is the logical place from which to buy.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
I've bought several hats from everything Australian and have never had to pay an import charge.About to order a fed from Hats direct and hope not to be stung with import charges.
All hats i've bought from America have been stopped by UK customs and i've been charged duty

When dealing with Hats Direct, make sure that they inspect the hat very carefully before shipping. Size, stitching, pouncing... Make it an issue with them up front because they are not all that helpful about returns. Return shipping would be higher than any import charges. I got a hat with ridiculously poor pouncing and it was a less than ideal experience. I have not dealt with them since. (but I might take a shot on a Fed 4 in Moonstone at some point.)

This happened with Hats Direct and I also had a size problem with Spectrum who sell the RM Williams version of the CampDraft. Never had such an experience with Sam at Everything Australian who always wrote to me about the condition of the hat before sending it. Even knew exactly the size and offered to set it into a vise for long oval. Always perfect from him. That is my first source of anything Akubra because of his efforts - provided he has what I want.

Fed

bendingoak

Vendor
I don't know how I miss this thread but I'll try to answer the original questions and please forgive me I didn't read the entire thread.

The raiders hat was creased off center ( which a lot like to call "the turn") to give it character. It was flanged like any other fedora. The dimensional cut brim with the "turn" lifts the brim out of Harrisons eyes and at the same time give the hat a bit of character. if gives the brim asymmetrical brim all around. This is where the confusion is. if you took the Raiders hat with the turn and moved it back to cent you would see the flange of the brim.

As for cutting a dimensional brim with a rounding jack. I had a rounding jack made special for me to get the dimensional cut for the Indy hats. my standard rounding jack can't.

I hope that helps and anyone is welcome to call at anytime. so feel free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner