Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indiana Jones V

Edward

Bartender
Ugh! Solo didn't tank because of the recast. It tanked because it was a by-the-numbers movie that was 80% reshot, and barely at all marketed. The fact that Ehrenreich was just okay in the role is beside the point

I think his complete lack of charisma was a major problem (i.e. he was the wrong casting, rather than recasting being the problem per se), but it's certainly true that there was almost nothing else to like in it either. Young Lando was fantastic, which imo did show that a recasting can work if done well. There was alack of chemistry between the leads, which didn't help. Perhaps the biggest problem was indeed the age-old 'Prequel Problem' - if you have a known end-point that hems you in somewhat, you have to have a doubly good story to get you there. Even bearing in mind that we only got part of the story (there having been a now-dropped plan for two more parts of a Solo trilogy), though, a lot of it just didn't ring true. Especially Solo staying in the army for years rather than deserting at the first possible opportunity.... I think it just wasn't a story we needed, though. A vastly more interesting story would have been one set in the years between Jedi and Force Awakens.

Edward

Bartender
I found an article about the film, and I wonder about the people who write this stuff. Here's the intro...

rLGw37J.jpg

Since when does Indiana Jones use a LASSO??? I guess we should file this one under "I Was Hired To Write an Article About a Film Series I Know Little About"!

Or, nobody there bothers to proofread. Either way, it's an embarrassing blunder.

Reads to me like somebody who's never seen the films, but saw a picture and misread the whip hanging from his belt as a lasso. Or maybe they only saw the clips from Raiders or Tempe of him swinging on it and got the idea it was a lasso somehow? Certainly seems like lazy journalism, though I suppose they likely were some underpaid staffer who had to churn out half a dozen such pieces in an hour...

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
It has, imo, a 1940s movie feel to it. And he referred to the character as a femme fatale. Was this an inadvertant giveaway as to the fate of the character in the film?

And it's nice that Luke Skywalker was there in the audience with his light saber.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
More clues. This time, a bit more substantive. Nice to see some “scenes”. Looks like at least part of it will be in North Africa or the Middle East. Is the McGuffin in that ancient tomb? And nothing says “Nazi” like the classic black trench coat. All in all, it looks like they are staying true to the original concept of the series, that we all love. Then again, it is maybe too early to jump to that conclusion. What happened to the Roman and/or time travel stuff that we were teased with last year?

https://thedirect.com/article/disney-indiana-jones-5-photos

Edward

Bartender
More clues. This time, a bit more substantive. Nice to see some “scenes”. Looks like at least part of it will be in North Africa or the Middle East. Is the McGuffin in that ancient tomb? And nothing says “Nazi” like the classic black trench coat. All in all, it looks like they are staying true to the original concept of the series, that we all love. Then again, it is maybe too early to jump to that conclusion. What happened to the Roman and/or time travel stuff that we were teased with last year?

https://thedirect.com/article/disney-indiana-jones-5-photos

Not sure how much we can glean from the article for sure, given they think a black fedora is a top hat(!), but....

My money is still on the Soear of Destiny, and the ancient scenes being expositional flashback.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

Edward

Bartender

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko