Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indiana Jones V

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks like fun. At least one old friend makes an appearance.
That opening seems to hit the right bittersweet yet hopeful note: “Those days have come and gone.” “Perhaps. Perhaps not.”

I’ll certainly wear my brown Fedora to opening day at the local cineplex.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
That certainly looks better than the fakeout trailer posted a few days ago, but . . .

. . . apparently the title will be 'Dial of Destiny.' Just about as goofy as, and perhaps more blase than 'Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.'

. . . many of the effects, even in that short trailer, are over top, and take me out of the moment because they are so obviously CGI-fake. Supernatural or impossible stuff? CGI away! But real life stuff? Nope, doesn't work for me.

Edward

Bartender
I like the looks of that. I am hopeful. TBH, I don't much care whether stunts are "real" or CGI - as long as the story is good enough I can get caught up in that. The title is ropey, but that doesn't matter to me so much if the content is good. Taxi Driver isn't much cop as a title either, but....

No hint of time travel in the film, I notice.... fingers crossed....

Looks like fun. At least one old friend makes an appearance.
That opening seems to hit the right bittersweet yet hopeful note: “Those days have come and gone.” “Perhaps. Perhaps not.”

I’ll certainly wear my brown Fedora to opening day at the local cineplex.

I want it to be great, but if Indy just takes me on a nice ride for a couple hours I'll be happy.

That certainly looks better than the fakeout trailer posted a few days ago, but . . .

. . . apparently the title will be 'Dial of Destiny.' Just about as goofy as, and perhaps more blase than 'Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.'

. . . many of the effects, even in that short trailer, are over top, and take me out of the moment because they are so obviously CGI-fake. Supernatural or impossible stuff? CGI away! But real life stuff? Nope, doesn't work for me.

It's not uncommon for early trailers to have clunky CGI, so hopefully the final product will do the trick.

Herb Roflcopter

One of the Regulars
The official poster has been released!

fGBIU4x.jpg

I'm trying not to be overly gung-ho, but these teases just light my fire.

Herb Roflcopter

One of the Regulars
Agreed. I’m more excited than a grownup should be. Now that I’m a “senior” myself, I’m looking for validation that “old” does not necessarily mean “out”.
I'm about the age Ford was when he did Last Crusade, and lately I keep feeling like the world is passing me by.

But, I'm not quite ready to give up yet. So that image up there resonates with me. Dark, dramatically lit and an enigmatic expression; Is he smiling? Is he frowning? Hard to tell, but whichever it is, I like it.

Tiki Tom

So, this article speculates that ”the dial of destiny” might be an object related to the Marsala Shipwreck off the coast of Sicily —discovered in 1969.

https://screenrant.com/indiana-jones-5-true-story-sicily-franchise-complaint/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsala_Ship

The writer pieces the clues together admirably. He‘s headed in the right direction. But I think he may have the WRONG SHIP. In fact, after thinking about it, maybe it’s likely that the dial of destiny is based on the Antikythera Mechanism found on a wreck off a Greek island, not Sicily. Photos of the Antikythera Mechanism looks similar to the dial of destiny as seen (?) in the trailer.

https://interestingengineering.com/innovation/antikythera-mechanism-2000-year-old-computer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism

Not to say that the IJ5 scriptwriter couldn’t have placed clues about such a mechanism aboard the Marsala.

Anyway, the Antikythera Mechanism fits the Greek/Roman sunken ship idea; plus it is weird enough in truth to lend itself to being reimagined with mystical powers.

Whadayathink?

EDIT: Rats. Not surprisingly, it seems that I’m not the first to come up with this theory. Warning: The hypothesis about Indy doing a little time travel raises its head again.

https://www.looper.com/1123952/what-could-indiana-jones-5s-dial-of-destiny-be-a-reference-to/

Although I’d probably quibble about that statue being Athena. I’ve never seen a depiction of Athena looking so disheveled. Look at that hair! But who knows? :)

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
If this is true, it seems that they might be filming a new ending. At least that is what John Williams say. The article maintains that such last minute touch ups are not uncommon. However, “filming a new ending” sounds like more than adding bits for more continuity.

https://screenrant.com/indiana-jones-5-new-ending-says-john-williams/

The writer of this piece seems invested in the idea that bad test screenings *did* happen....

TBH, were I in Mangold's shoes, I'd probably film two or three fake endings as well, just to keep the press off track. I'm sick of things being instantly spoilered by the press long before they're even released, let alone having to avoid social media when it is released til I see it because there's always one smug ass has to make a point of spoilering it for everyone else. Worst recently though were Doctor Who have a really dud reveal of the latest Doctor because the 'big surprise' had been all over the web for a week, or Netflix spoilering itself by featuring a major reveal late in the series of Wednesday Addams in the trailer that aired before the series started.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many

Herb Roflcopter

One of the Regulars
One minor quibble about the trailer is the shot where Indy picks up his hat off the table- I know it looks dramatic, but it pains me to see the hat resting on its brim (which will distort it) and that it was picked up by the pinch (which will flex the felt and shorten the lifespan of the hat)

I suppose it's my personal axe to grind, as the times I've been to some social events and put my hat down with everyone's coats, and later I find it right-side up, which means someone messed with it (and probably tried it on, too.)

RBH

Bartender
I wanna know who made the hat.

Here is what I found....

Who made the hats for Indiana Jones 5?

''The hat was designed by Anthony Powell and Joanna Johnston, the film's costume designers, based on Deborah Nadoolman Landis' original hat design for Raiders of the Lost Ark, and made by Herbert Johnson Hatters in London.''

Herb Roflcopter

One of the Regulars
I read an article earlier this week (I'm looking but can't find it online anymore) that mentioned how the Indy 5 trailer is not really getting as nearly as many views as the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy 3 trailer and another Transformers movie trailer.

Well, for one, the target audience for the latter two films is younger and has grown up with these franchises. Naturally they're pulling a lot of views. The anticipation is much higher, since they know these characters. The older crowd that grew up with Indy does not necessarily browse YouTube.

I suppose that if you only make an Indy sequel every 15 years or so your target demographic is going to be a tad smaller. :) I doubt most of the kids these days were even alive when Crystal Skull came out, or at least were toddlers.

Personally, I never had any interest in the Transformers movies (nor in the cartoons, either- giant robots just bore me) and although I watched the first two Guardians films and enjoyed them, I watched them primarily because it was bonding time with my daughter. Now she hangs out with her friends and has no time for Daddy anymore, so I will likely pass on the third one.

I passed on those Endgame movies (where all those Marvel characters join up), so I'd probably be lost watching the third one anyway.

Tiki Tom

True. But the aging of the Indiana Jones franchise does have its advantages. Forty years ago, if you wore a brown Fedora in public, you were bound to get a snarky Indiana jones comment. Now, not so much. It is almost to the point where it is retro-retro-cool. Or maybe I’m deluding myself.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
True. But the aging of the Indiana Jones franchise does have its advantages. Forty years ago, if you wore a brown Fedora in public, you were bound to get a snarky Indiana jones comment. Now, not so much. It is almost to the point where it is retro-retro-cool. Or maybe I’m deluding myself.
I very rarely receive an Indiana Jones comment anymore, but when I do, it's most often positive and from a person closer to my own age (I was 21 when RotLA was released).

<<sarcasm mode on>> I can't wait until the trailers get thicker, and on TV, and then the movie is released so that I can hear the comments from younger folks. Again. <<sarcasm mode off>>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ