Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indiana Jones V

Edward

Bartender
I saw the film yesterday afternoon in an empty theater - there was just one other couple. I wasn't even sure that I wanted to see it theatrically (but finally decided I'd seen the other four in theaters the week they'd opened, so why not?) and went in with VERY low expectations... but I liked it much more than I expected to. It's a solid Indy flick.

Ford and Waller-Bridge are excellent, full stop. The stunt work and action sequences are fine. The little Easter eggs scattered throughout for the hardcore fans are cute, and the semi-surprise character returns work well. Like most big movies these days, it's a bit too long, but that's a minor quibble. I had real doubts about a non-Spielberg Indy flick, but James Mangold did fine.

Mainly, apart from the plot machinations and action sequences (some of which are implausible and comic booky, but that's always been true in this series), the film does a really excellent job with Indy's emotional arc and provides a satisfying conclusion to the saga. It's MUCH better than Crystal Skull. If you're on the fence about seeing it in a theater, I say go, you'll enjoy!

Raiders - four stars
Temple - two stars
Crusade - three stars
Skull - one star
Dial - two stars

This is particularly an encouraging review. Roll on Thursday! :)

Herb Roflcopter

One of the Regulars
I've bordered on fan-hate myself at times with various things, though not usually that far for that long. Years ago one of the big names in RHPS fandom wrote an essay on the Five Phases of Rocky Horror Fandom; Phase Five was very much burnout, love turns to hate. Peopel can go back and forth between phases... It was a very astutely observed this, very much applicable to any fandom. I wish I had a copy, it was probably the best commentary on fandom outside of Galaxy Quest.

As to disk releases, I hope so. Disney can be funny about that sort of thing - I remember how controlling they were last time I looked re releases of their own stuff, things only available for limited periods years apart and the rest of it. I hope they don't go for the pure-streaming model. There are people in the music industry for whom that is the dream, streaming + total death of physical media. I can't think of anything worse for music or film.

I've been guilty of writing a few disparaging paragraphs about Attack of the Clones on a message board or two when it first came out. Having felt deeply disappointed at Lucas' approach, it felt cathartic to analyze what I thought were missteps on his part. (I have some screenwriting experience.) Still, I didn't automatically dissect every single aspect of the film and post multiple essays and videos everywhere I went online.

I understand Dial of Destiny may be streaming on Disney+ around October, but I'd still like a physical media release if I can get it. :)

I also wouldn't mind seeing Dial in the theater one more time if I can round up any friends who have the time.

Edward

Bartender
I've been guilty of writing a few disparaging paragraphs about Attack of the Clones on a message board or two when it first came out. Having felt deeply disappointed at Lucas' approach, it felt cathartic to analyze what I thought were missteps on his part. (I have some screenwriting experience.) Still, I didn't automatically dissect every single aspect of the film and post multiple essays and videos everywhere I went online.

I understand Dial of Destiny may be streaming on Disney+ around October, but I'd still like a physical media release if I can get it. :)

I also wouldn't mind seeing Dial in the theater one more time if I can round up any friends who have the time.

What I really want is a cinema all-dayer showing all five back to back (but starting with Temple, so screening in chronological order per the in-world timeline rather than release order...).

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I wonder what goes on in the heads of people who make hating something their entire existence. I have an acquaintance (would prefer to not consider him a friend) who claims to hate George Lucas and all things Star Wars-related, yet rabidly consumes everything that comes out like a glutton then proceeds to remind everyone within earshot of his low opinion of the franchise.

He'll even inject a comment about his hatred randomly; if you were talking about the weather and commented about how a storm knocked out power in the neighborhood last night, you can bet he'd remark, "Yeah, that storm was almost as bad as The Last Jedi!" (usually to no one's amusement)

I take pleasure in the fact that someday he won't be able to renew his subscription to Disney+, because he's unemployed and still lives with his mother, who's supporting her son who's in his late 40's! (as cliche as it sounds, it's unfortunately true.)

Back on topic, though- I wonder if Disney will release a new boxed set of all five films. I held off on buying the four-pack of Blu-Rays because I knew there was a fifth film coming at some point. I still have the original trilogy on standard-def DVD and a Blu-Ray of Crystal Skull.
I will NEVER understand the concept of hate watching. If something displeases me enough, I simply stop watching. Somehow, fandom has turned from "I love this!" to "I hate everything about this, but will continue to actively engage in it to continue hating it!" People must live awful lives to perpetually place themselves in an such a miserable state.

As they say, nobody hates Star Wars like Star Wars fans.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
I'd still like a physical media release if I can get it. :)

The theatre experience is definitely a must. Oppenheimer is due a guaranteed 100 days theatrical to accommodate
audience and film which captures a tragic moment in history hardly suited initial small screen release.

I'd enjoy a second shot at Dial meself for fine combing but its opening grab is a topper sure.

Herb Roflcopter

One of the Regulars
This is relevant:
iCTxD9C.png

Edward

Bartender
I will NEVER understand the concept of hate watching. If something displeases me enough, I simply stop watching. Somehow, fandom has turned from "I love this!" to "I hate everything about this, but will continue to actively engage in it to continue hating it!" People must live awful lives to perpetually place themselves in an such a miserable state.

You ain't seen nothing til you've encountered Doctor Who fans. The inbuilt elements of change in that show do of course mean not every fan will like every era, and some of us as well guilty of a hate watch period, though I like to think of myself as keeping watching in hope that the bad period will suddenly improve.... heh. And I was a big fan of a lady Doctor.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
What I really want is a cinema all-dayer showing all five back to back (but starting with Temple, so screening in chronological order per the in-world timeline rather than release order...).
+1.
In June, Cinemark screened Raiders (at least here they did). I have not seen it on the big screen since 1982 and even though I can quote the movie it was still pretty incredible to see it the way it was originally intended. It was a thoroughly captivating experience.

+1.
In June, Cinemark screened Raiders (at least here they did). I have not seen it on the big screen since 1982 and even though I can quote the movie it was still pretty incredible to see it the way it was originally intended. It was a thoroughly captivating experience.

I likely have only seen Raiders in the theater the first time I saw it. That experience would be fun.

The last time I sat down and watched it from A to Z was during Covid, when (I think) CBS started doing Saturday Night at the Movies, and kicked it off with Indy. That was kinda fun, too, knowing you were watching it in real time with everybody else. No pausing rewinding, or fast-forwarding.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I likely have only seen Raiders in the theater the first time I saw it. That experience would be fun.

The last time I sat down and watched it from A to Z was during Covid, when (I think) CBS started doing Saturday Night at the Movies, and kicked it off with Indy. That was kinda fun, too, knowing you were watching it in real time with everybody else. No pausing rewinding, or fast-forwarding.
That does sound rewarding. I didn’t even know they did that since I was in Asia during the COVID crisis.

I have actually toyed with the idea of purchasing ad-included streaming services, just to actually have some sense of the current state of society via commercials.

Streaming services have strongly contributed to our sense of isolation as well as, of course, individuation. I’m not judging it and lord knows I still remember how much I hated commercials as a kid, but what you say about watching with everybody else is an aspect of entertainment I wonder about sometime. Have we painted ourselves into a corner?

That does sound rewarding. I didn’t even know they did that since I was in Asia during the COVID crisis.

I have actually toyed with the idea of purchasing ad-included streaming services, just to actually have some sense of the current state of society via commercials.

Streaming services have strongly contributed to our sense of isolation as well as, of course, individuation. I’m not judging it and lord knows I still remember how much I hated commercials as a kid, but what you say about watching with everybody else is an aspect of entertainment I wonder about sometime. Have we painted ourselves into a corner?

Well, I still watch over the air, so I get my share of commercials. Some of them are more entertaining than the shows.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Well, I still watch over the air, so I get my share of commercials. Some of them are more entertaining than the shows.
Wow, you still watch over the air, that's outstanding. Do you have an antenna or use cable?

I watched SEC college football last season on one of the networks - I believe it was CBS. We were lucky to pick it up on with my family's antenna. I enjoyed the commercials the first few times I saw them but they repeated so often that I stopped enjoying them.

Wow, you still watch over the air, that's outstanding. Do you have an antenna or use cable?

I watched SEC college football last season on one of the networks - I believe it was CBS. We were lucky to pick it up on with my family's antenna. I enjoyed the commercials the first few times I saw them but they repeated so often that I stopped enjoying them.

Ditched cable, but like most, I watch the local channels with a digital antenna. Gotta watch Jeopardy, dontchaknow.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Have we painted ourselves into a corner?
The advent of home television post cathedral or boxed radio cornered the market for individuality; afterwhich society
painted itself inside a tight corner behind a prideful bulwark.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender

Generation X, I remember when I loved that the big film was on BBC, because no ads to spoil it. Then I got older, and ads were welcome because I could go for a pee at half time and miss nothing. Then streaming arrived.... best of both worlds. I don't really care about being socially disconnected when I don't need to be plugged in for professional interest, tbh.

Edward

Bartender
Well. Saw Dial today, and I loved it. I think the writing beautifully avoided both trying tobpretend Skull didn't happen ( some of us liked it), or leaning on it as too integral to the story (for those who did not). I did like Skull, but not as much as this. For me, this come very close to the magic of the first three; at least on a par with Temple. The flashback sequences are impressive with the de-aging. Looking forward to having it on disk alongside the other four... needs a big bd box set now....

Herb Roflcopter

One of the Regulars
Maybe we'll give it a little more time before we discuss details so as not to spoil anything for anyone who still hasn't seen it yet!

Indy-related, but Disney is releasing merchandise of their own, specifically replicas of the treasures from the movies.

I already own an idol replica and a Staff of Ra headpiece, so not in the market for those. Also, the Grail looks a tad shoddy for my taste, and the crystal skull is not only expensive ($250) but I have nowhere to put such a monstrosity in my house.

Honestly though, I do like that Sankara stone- one that lights up, but only when you pick it up? I'd buy one, but as I cannot find one anywhere I believe they're out of stock!

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Maybe we'll give it a little more time before we discuss details so as not to spoil anything for anyone who still hasn't seen it yet!

Indy-related, but Disney is releasing merchandise of their own, specifically replicas of the treasures....
As to Disney its $90.47 stock price has struggled for the past year and chair Igggy's contract was renewed.
All the while Indy V is a $300 million busted flush he let happen. Mission Impossible Dead Reckon scored $15m
opening day and is xpecd another $85-95mil by Sunday; International receipts are est $160 mil open wkend.
Box office muscle. MI-DR recouped its 200 mil cost and is writing black ink profits.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy