Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy Fedora AND Jacket??

vintage68

Practically Family
Personally I live in my Bill's Khakis, and in colder weather I usually wear my G&B Indy Jacket as well. But I've found that wearing the jacket, khaki's, AND a fedora ( not to mention Aldens) just feels too much like a costume, so I usually only wear a fedora with a suit.

So, let's take a poll and hear any random musings: Who amoung youz guys wear both your Indy jacket AND fedora at the same time on MOST days?

Feraud

Bartender
Most days I am at work. When weather permits I will wear a Wested with a brown fedora and dress clothes.
If you do not wear it like a "costume" you will not give off the vibe.
Similar to dressing vintage, there are costumes and there are clothes.

Feraud

Bartender
As long as your are not carrying a whip and running from the locals, a brown fedora and leather jacket (Indy or otherwise) looks great!
This seems to have been a common look from the old days.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I have both, but I rarely wear them together. I tend to wear my Akubra Federation in colder weather with my A-2 and M-422A - my lambskin Wested is my "summer" leather jacket for September-type conditions.

And BTW, it's true that lambskin is very fragile! Two weeks ago, I snagged the back of my jacket on the edge of my car door, and it make a big V-shaped tear! The jacket is now back with Wested for replacement of the back panel... (sniff!)

Although lambskin is the "original" hide, has that fabulous drape, and is very light - perfect for a summer jacket - I would seriously recommend going with goatskin to anyone who's planning on getting a Wested! (I might have to get one myself, sometime. Yeah, I've got a dark brown lamb, so I can get an authentic brown goat... [It's an illness!])

Wyoming Jade

New in Town
Not together I won't...

I've got to along with Vintage on this one. I own the hat & Wested Jacket but won't wear both together no more than I would wear the hat with a trench (Bogey). While this may have been "the look" back in the day I'm quite certain today it would only garner snickers even if I wasn't toting a whip. Because the character is such an icon in the fabric of Americana people will naturally associate the look with the character. I also wear a beard and the last thing I want is some youngster coming up to me and asking me if I'm Indiana Jones.

dr greg

One Too Many
close call

I wear that 'Indy" combo all the time in the colder months, and apart from not caring what people dressed in 3/4 cargo pants think of my style, my stuff is worn in, therefore it doesn't look like a costume, but something I must obviously wear a lot, as I do. The hat and trench is another matter though, that can be a bit of a traffic stopper, but heck; life's a one act play isn't it as we strut our hour upon the stage....

Steve

Practically Family
I get enough comments when I wear a hat with a light-colored shirt, so I would definitely never wear an Indy jacket with a brown hat. A-2, maybe, but not a traditional Wested.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
I have a brown hat and brown leather jacket. Neither are "Indy", but I still refrain from wearing them together. I like both of them, but prefer to avoid the Indy comments.

However, I DO wear a fedora and "trench coat" together (not a traditional trench coat) when it rains. I occassionally get comments, but they stop as soon as I'm outiside in the rain. I can stroll to my car while others either run to their cars or fight the wind with their umbrellas. Suddenly they realize that my attire really does serve a purpose.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Sure, Why not?

I wear what I want, whenever I want. It's all in how you carry yourself.

Here is my Horsehide Wested. It is a beautiful jacket. A properly cut Wested makes you look like a superhero; look at that back shot. I wish I really tapered like that. ;)

I usually throw off the look a little; in this case with a gray hat and white shirt. :)

Feraud

Bartender
I say wear what combo you are comfortable with. Why let others dictate your style?

These comments about not wanting to wear an Indy jacket and brown fedora or trenchcoat supposes that the "average joe" on the street knows what a Wested looks like, or if Bogey, Dick Tracy or The Shadow even wore a trenchcoat! The day I let the common man on the street tell me what style is, is the day I hang up my hats for good.

Our own Senator Jack received a comment likening him to Michael Jackson! If you have ever seen the Senator, you could not mistake him for Michael Jackson. Our Jack has tons more style than the "gloved one".

maintcoder

A-List Customer
I agree with Hemingway and Feraud, I wear what I want when I want. I have had plenty of comments (from "Pardon me sir, do you have any grey poupon?" to being called Dick Tracy, Elliot Ness, Philip Marlowe, etc) that I don't worry about it if I choose to wear my brown leather jacket with a brown fedora. It looks great and I know it, so that is that. As for a trenchcoat, I wear one almost every day once the rainy season in Seattle starts as I don't want a sopping wet suit from my walk to the office. I wear a fedora with it and while I may get quite a few looks and snickers from some, I would say I get more compliments on being well dressed.

Barry

Practically Family
I posted a message a month or so ago about the time I was sitting outside of a deli. Among other things I was wearing a fedora, an Aero Cossack and some nice pressed trousers and a nice shirt. A guy walked past me and then turned around walked back and stared at me for a second. He commented (practically shouted) that he loved my "look", said it was "totally 1930s" and then mentioned that he had pictures of his father "dressed that way." That made my day.

Barry

vintage68

Practically Family
I agree, the brown leather jacket and fedora IS a great look. I hope I didn't give the impression it wasn't or people should feel foolish while wearing them.

I DO have occaision to wear both at the same time, usually as the weather outside turns foul and it makes sense to wear both. Take today for instance. It's snowing and cold here in Denver, so whaddya think I'm wearing today??

Regards! Vintage

Havana Joe

Familiar Face
Steve said:
I get enough comments when I wear a hat with a light-colored shirt, so I would definitely never wear an Indy jacket with a brown hat. A-2, maybe, but not a traditional Wested.

Maybe it's the location.

I notice you live in Florida. I used to live in Miami and wearing any kind of hat other than a baseball cap will get you funny looks, even comments. I'd get a remark or laugh for wearing khaki shorts, a safari shirt, and a wide brimmed hat in the blazing heat/humidity, while the idiots wearing the stupid clown fashion were ignored. Go figure!

I lived in Flagstaff, Arizona and frequented Sedona and Prescott and never got a negative look or comment. Same thing here in Winston-Salem, NC so far. I think it's location. In the last 15 years or so South Florida has become a septic pool attracting the trash from all around.:mad:

Now, I do change the Indy theme on my cell phone when I wear that stuff!:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou