Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy hat post em up

tracyam

One of the Regulars
Hey Mojave Jack. I understand. Surprisingly, I didn't get the Indy comment the other day when I wore it in the field. Only comment was "you wearin' your Sunday go to meetin' hat?" I just laughed. At least it wasn't the Indy comment. Actually, I'm going to start wearing my wide brimmed Sunbody cowboy hat when the weather switches over. I got it back in December and can't wait to get it out over some test units. I'm really kind of afraid to spend a lot of money on a nice fedora with some of the places we go.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
tracyam said:
Hey Mojave Jack. I understand. Surprisingly, I didn't get the Indy comment the other day when I wore it in the field. Only comment was "you wearin' your Sunday go to meetin' hat?" I just laughed. At least it wasn't the Indy comment. Actually, I'm going to start wearing my wide brimmed Sunbody cowboy hat when the weather switches over. I got it back in December and can't wait to get it out over some test units. I'm really kind of afraid to spend a lot of money on a nice fedora with some of the places we go.
That's an improvement, anyway! lol

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the movies. It's a great adventure, but it's also fiction, and should be taken as such. Indy is modeled on those classic film characters and some real life characters, like Roy Chapman Andrews. What I look for in field clothes is something that is functional, yet still makes me feel like I connect with the real archeologists, and I'd much rather channel Andrews that Jones.

So I don't necessarily mind when my co-workers make Indy comments, because they know me and know that I'm a professional. It's just the random, silly comments that start to grate. In the past, when the press or other film crews come to projects I've been on, I've been singled out for interviews because I look more like what the public perceives as being an archeologist. That can have both positive and negative repercussions. I've had a couple field directors get ticked off because the press talked to me and not them. Well, what do you expect when you're wearing torn jeans, boots that have been duct-taped back together, and a worn out Rolling Rock t-shirt? You're lucky they didn't drop a quarter in your coffee cup as they passed by.

mingoslim

Practically Family
Great to have a couple of fellow antiquarians on board . . .

OK, admittedly, I have not worked in the field since 1994, but I hope you will not hold that against me.

And I stand by my original assertion . . . we are the real thing . . . Indiana Jones is the poser! Mind you, I like the films . . . I like the character. But I get tired of explaining to folks that IJ is NOT an archaeologist . . .

A colt and a bul whip look great on screen, but an archaeologists tools are a pen, paper, brushes and trowels . . .

I spent far more time like this:

731512-R2-E042_042b.jpg

Then I did battling Nazis . . .;)

And as for the fedora . . . here is a pick of me in Turkey in 1980; a year before anyone had heard of Indiana Jones . . .

731512-R2-E147_147b.jpg

So you can see why I say he copied us, not the other way around . . .
(Gee, it is depressing to realize how young . . . and thin . . . I was back then!)

Ming Slim

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
mingoslim said:
OK, admittedly, I have not worked in the field since 1994, but I hope you will not hold that against me.
How could we possibly?! That's experience, and if anyone should recognize the value of the past, it's archeologists!

mingoslim said:
And I stand by my original assertion . . . we are the real thing . . . Indiana Jones is the poser! Mind you, I like the films . . . I like the character. But I get tired of explaining to folks that IJ is NOT an archaeologist . . .

A colt and a bul whip look great on screen, but an archaeologists tools are a pen, paper, brushes and trowels . . .
Too true. I wield a Sharpie, not a .45! But look out, 'cause I can draw a mean mustasche on a passed out colleague!

mingoslim said:
I spent far more time like this:

731512-R2-E042_042b.jpg

Then I did battling Nazis . . .;)
That's a great pic, and that hat looks perfect for field work. I am constantly on the lookout for that optimal field hat. My Riverina is darn good, but is probably still too warm for summers in the field.

Incidentally, where are you working in this pic? That's one thing that the Mojave lacks, any kind of permanant structures. Out prehistoric stuff is all material remains from nomadic groups (seasonal rounds), so lots and lots of lithics, pottery, and faunal remains, but no village sites, and definately no masonry.

mingoslim

Practically Family
In answer to your questions . . .

Jack . . .

Thanks for still giving me the nod as an archaeologists, even if I am no longer in the field . . .

In answer to your questions . . .

The hat in the picture was an optimal field hat. And it cost something like $10 at K-Mart back in 1990 . . . $10 being the top of the line for K-Mart ;)

Cheap straw . . . but it worked great . . .

I wore it in the field in 1992 and 1994 and it held up just fine . . . Left it at my parents in Florida in the mid-1990s, and it disappeared. I have been looking for a similar one ever since.

I got my masters in Biblical Archaeology (now referred to as Ancient Near-Eastern Studies) in the early 1990s. I worked a couple of digs in Turkey and Greece in the 70s and 80s as an undergrad . . . The site in the photo is outside a Basilica in Abila Jordan, where I was on-site in 1992 and 1994 . . . First as an area supervisor (92), and then as Education Director for the dig's college program (94) . . .

RBH . . .

After seeing these pics you know how I picked up the handle "Slim". lol

indycop

I'll Lock Up
DanielJones said:
Thanks IC! They're great aren't they. I wear my shemagh just about every day too. It seems to fit the look perfectly.

Cheers!

Dan
Yep great sun protection and nice and cool in the heat!;)
With the Current wars they have become the new drive on rags wich were the old olive drab cravaats when I was in.

Retro Rob

Familiar Face
Its my 5 lb. Yorkie. Photo is not altered in Photoshop. I dropped by a friends hat store in Gettysburg the other day, they had the pint size hat sent to them as a sample. I had to borrow it and post some pics.

Slouch-Hat

Familiar Face
Way to go, Rob!

Hey, have any of you Fedora Loungers here in the California area seen the new "Land of Adventure" commercial for LegoLand? Although I'm no Disney-maniac, I was a little angry that LegoLand is clearly trying to cash in on the Indiana Jones resurgence and on Disney's Indiana Jones ride/attraction as well. Anyway, in the commercial an ersatz Dr. Jones in a leather bomber (I believe) and a safari hat makes his way through LegoLand's 'Land of Adventure.' The hat and jacket are cool, but, in my opinion, nothing else. Anyone identify the hat and jacket he wears?

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
Retro Rob said:
Its my 5 lb. Yorkie. Photo is not altered in Photoshop. I dropped by a friends hat store in Gettysburg the other day, they had the pint size hat sent to them as a sample. I had to borrow it and post some pics.

Where is the hat store in Gettysburg? I'll have to pop in this weekend.

Actually, the 'Land of Adventure' is based on a now-defunct LEGO 'Adventurers' theme that riffed on Indy and Indy's inspiration-sources, IIRC the last time it was in production was '03. At that time, LEGO wasn't big on "licensed properties" other than Star Wars, which they only signed on to during the hype-up for Episode 1--and with them now having an Indy license, I don't think their own version'll be back anytime soon, just as Star Wars killed most of LEGO's own Space product line. (They don't like having their products compete with each other very much... I'm surprised they've done two different "Mars expedition" themes at the same time as SW, myself.)

Signed,
Unrepentant LEGO geek, but not a "Kool-Aid drinker"--frequently critical of 'em

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Camptown "Legend"

Well here is some fantastic news for all of us Indy Nutters to be sure!

Ken over at Camptown Hats has worked out a deal with the fine gentleman over at Adventurebilt Hats (namely Steve Delk) to have permission to use one of their blocks that inspired the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull fedora. Yep, you heard right, there will be a Camptown hat with "the Crown by Adventurebilt".
Ken is calling it the "1957 Legend". Very aptly named for the movie legend Indiana Jones and the hatter legend Steve Delk.
There will of course be some details to hash out, but from what I hear he will start taking pre-orders around April 17th. Real soon folks. I know I will put my name in the proverbial hat for sure.
I will post more as I get it, and if there are any others out there with further information, pleas post it to get further word out.
If you e-mail Ken about this Hat be sure to put "1957 Legend' in the subject line.
This is great news for those of us that enjoy our Camptown Fieldmasters & wish to add another reasonably priced hat enspired by the Crystal Skull Fedora. Can't wait to see what happens with this! I will be sure to post more news as I get it. ;)

Congratulations to Ken and thank you to Steve for making this new lid a reality for us!:eusa_clap

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails