Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy hat post em up

Makes sense. I was just under the impression that a center dent would result in a slightly higher crown than anything else, but I base that on figuring other creases would cause more of the top of the crown to be used in shaping...
That's what I initially thought as well, but in my experience that hasn't been the case. I really like the look of a fedora with a deep Center Dent, but I'd probably require a hat with a 7" or taller open crown to achieve that and then the crown would look too tall to my eye unless the brim was wider as well, and by that point I've gone from fedora to slouch/western territory; too much hat for me.

...And for what it's worth Zombie, I hope you guys have a turn of fortune coming in the near future.
Thank you, I sincerely appreciate that!

This is interesting. When I have shorter crown hats I sometimes use the center dent crease because it allows me to get the most height out of the crown. I can live with a very shallow center dent, but shallow diamonds etc. just don’t work for me...
Even on my Fed IVs and Campdrafts with their relatively tall open crowns the best I can get is a shallow Center Dent, and by "shallow" I mean maybe 1/8" to 1/4" deep; so shallow it's almost unnoticeable. Also, because I wear my hats pushed back my head pushes the back of the crown up more than the front with a Center Dent, and that results in reverse rake. That's fine if you're wearing a hat with something like a Gus crease, but on a fedora it just looks completely wrong to me.

...I also don’t like the looks of the dome needed to accommodate my head being higher than the sides of the crown. I don’t like seeing the dome except from above; this is what often also limits the amount of rake I give my hats.
I don't like that "high dome" look either, so I've somehow managed to crease my hats so I got the crown height I wanted without the dome being too obvious. On my Fed IVs the dome is about the same height as the sides of the crowns, and on my Campdrafts it's a little lower. Sometimes I think it's just dumb luck that I've been able to shape my hats the way I want and still have them fit on my head as well as I think they do. :D

Art Hat1

One of the Regulars
FE7D2DF3-9D2D-4F67-95FA-8E7D7AC97F25.jpeg

My two year old brown Fed IV deluxe, quite an old friend mine by now!

Attachments

• 4BF88DC0-559C-414B-9450-957874521C33.jpeg
    4BF88DC0-559C-414B-9450-957874521C33.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 48
  • 957A0F38-E6AB-4480-A22E-81D9618F1153.jpeg
    957A0F38-E6AB-4480-A22E-81D9618F1153.jpeg
    508.4 KB · Views: 48
Bump..interesting conversations here.... I too have more than my share of "Indy Hats" but without actually ever meaning to!:oops::rolleyes:

I have purchased ALL of them second hand, because of a good deal and/or I was curious, because they purported to be creased in the Indy way.

I have a tall grey Dobbs labeled "Indy" came shaped (I presume as a "Raiders"). Two AdVintage (one grey, one that "Indy brown", "Sable" I think), each labeled to a specific movie "Indy" Style.

Then I have ended up with a Christie's "poet" (which like most Christie's hats is average at best), a Penman ( I forgot the model) in beaver, and an "Adventurebilt" (which is by Penman but Indy model specific I guess or does he just host them on the "Penman" site?) also beaver.

I do have a brown "Fed IV" purchased new, and no Indy anything was ever intended with it. Just came open crown as they do.....

Yep..FAR more that I thought....of "Indy Inspired" hats.:oops:

I suppose I should try to corral them for a photo and add comments on each........some day.;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21