Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy hat post em up

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
Indy folks do tend to be purists (in a good and passionate way). To be honest, all four movie hats look mostly the same to me so my Indy eye isn’t very developed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'd tend to agree. I do have to say though that just based on memory that the Raiders hat has it's own look. The ToD and LC hats look similar and the CS is kind of reverts back to a Raiders look with the other three blended in. Again, just based off of memory, which is questionable at best.

Ryan
Hat size: 7 1/2

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
If you could put them all in a line, they're fairly distinct.

Raiders is the most unique because of the tight pinch front which goes all the way to the ribbon. It also has the infamous 'turn.'

The Temple of Doom hat is shorter, and purportedly at least one contractually obligated shot of a Stetson Temple is in the film. This one has a tapered crown.

The Last Crusade and Crystal Skull hats are fairly similar. The blocks are not identical, but it would be hard to tell that from just watching the movie. Last Crusade has a few different brim stylings. They both have a high front pinch. I find the Crystal Skull hat distinctive by the triangle shape formed by the front pinch as the crease eases out towards the ribbon.

The Raiders hat seems to be the most coveted. It's not my favorite and I don't think the block shape and proportions work for a wide variety of people. That's not necessarily the primary concern for the average Indy hat buyer though.

Excluding the fact that even within the same movie a trained eye can tell they used different hats in different scenes, I concur with Jared's assessment.

The Raiders hat stands out because, like the rest of Indy's wardrobe and gear, they wanted it to make a statement and help define the character. Mission accomplished, but it's not the "right" hat for everyone.

The first time I saw Temple of Doom even my untrained/uneducated eye could tell it was a different hat. I now know that's because the crown was lower and noticeably tapered, but at the time it just looked to me like it had shrunk. Everyone involved said they wanted the audience to believe Indy had only the one "adventure" hat and that it was supposed to be the exact same hat in every movie, but in this case they failed miserably.

The Last Crusade hat falls somewhere between the first two; taller crown, but still more tapered than the Raiders hat. The Crystal Skull hat is very similar to the Last Crusade hat, but the crown is more straight sided.

Also, the tight pinch and "extreme" dimensions seen on the Raiders hat got softer/lessened with each sequel, and by the time they got around to Crystal Skull Indy's hat looked far more like an off-the-shelf fedora with a common Center Dent crease. Like many fans of the franchise I liked the Raiders hat from the first time I saw the movie, but it was the less "iconic" Crystal Skull hat that finally convinced me to get a fedora of my own.

Excluding the fact that even within the same movie a trained eye can tell they used different hats in different scenes, I concur with Jared's assessment.

The Raiders hat stands out because, like the rest of Indy's wardrobe and gear, they wanted it to make a statement and help define the character. Mission accomplished, but it's not the "right" hat for everyone.

The first time I saw Temple of Doom even my untrained/uneducated eye could tell it was a different hat. I now know that's because the crown was lower and noticeably tapered, but at the time it just looked to me like it had shrunk. Everyone involved said they wanted the audience to believe Indy had only the one "adventure" hat and that it was supposed to be the exact same hat in every movie, but in this case they failed miserably.

The Last Crusade hat falls somewhere between the first two; taller crown, but still more tapered than the Raiders hat. The Crystal Skull hat is very similar to the Last Crusade hat, but the crown is more straight sided.

Also, the tight pinch and "extreme" dimensions seen on the Raiders hat got softer/lessened with each sequel, and by the time they got around to Crystal Skull Indy's hat looked far more like an off-the-shelf fedora with a common Center Dent crease. Like many fans of the franchise I liked the Raiders hat from the first time I saw the movie, but it was the less "iconic" Crystal Skull hat that finally convinced me to get a fedora of my own.

I like some of the styling, but I feel no compunction to remain true to any film. The Raiders hat I was considering would be without the “turn” and the crease would probably be a nod to the Raiders hat, but not a duplication. I understand that it wouldn’t be an “Indy” hat if it’s not made exactly like one of the film hats. I don’t think we need an “Indy inspired but not film accurate” thread, but if we had one that’s the camp I’d be in. No doubt heresy to some.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Zombie61 said:

Yeah, they really blew it on that one, considering the fact that ToD, which took place in 1935, was a prequel. Okay, the hat shrunk, but how did it expand again for RotLA, which took place the following year?

deadlyhandsome said:
I like some of the styling, but I feel no compunction to remain true to any film. The Raiders hat I was considering would be without the “turn” and the crease would probably be a nod to the Raiders hat, but not a duplication. I understand that it wouldn’t be an “Indy” hat if it’s not made exactly like one of the film hats. I don’t think we need an “Indy inspired but not film accurate” thread, but if we had one that’s the camp I’d be in. No doubt heresy to some.

When I was a member of Club Obi Wan (COW), the premier (not to mention other things) Indy site years ago, I had coined the phrase 'screen-reminiscent.'

Screen reminiscent was/is a less severe version of 'screen accurate.'

Some of these guys would, as you mentioned, fuss over every line and angle of the hat, most often the 'Streets of Cairo' (SoC) hat – the dirty, misshapen one with the turn and the mushroomed crown.

I was a member there beginning right around the release of Crystal Skull (2008). Steve Delk of Adventurebilt was just a hobbiest that time, but was making what were arguably the best Indy hats out there, as he had been working at his craft, and specifically the Indy hat, for a few years by then.

There were other guys making them, as well, sometimes taking existing brown hats and transforming them into various Indy hats, some very successfully. But they weren't all hat makers, starting with blanks.

So anyway, I soon came to realize that it was going to be very difficult for me to turn a Fed IV, for example, into a screen accurate Raiders hat that the nit-pickers would approve of. On top of that, it was going to be almost as tough to keep a professionally made Indy hat looking like a screen accurate Indy hat. And I didn't want to stress over it. I just wanted to wear it.

On top of that, I don't look like Harrison Ford. So I came to the comfortable realization that I could wear a brown hat that would remind me, and others, of an Indy hat. I could alter it to be more at one with my face and head, and it didn't need to be painstakingly Indy-accurate. Screen-reminiscent.

So yes, get an Indy-style hat if you want one, and shape it the way you want to. That's what HF did, and he wasn't basing it on anything but what he thought looked good at the time. Everyone should do the same.

So there. Ha.

Last edited:
I'm in the same camp. Unless I'm putting together some form of actual costume I prefer movie/television wardrobe items that serve a practical "every day use" function. I got my "Raiders" jacket from Wested because I liked the style and wanted to wear it as I wear my other jackets; I didn't want a "cheap" costume item that would only last a year or two. That's also the reason I chose the Fed IV when I finally decided I wanted a fedora--Akubra's reputation for making durable hats convinced me they were worth the price. I guess I "chose wisely" because I'm still wearing them 10 years later and they're both in excellent condition. Yeah, I did wear them once as parts of an Indy costume for Halloween, but that was because I already had them and was able to put the rest of the costume together on the cheap. :cool:

Yeah, they really blew it on that one, considering the fact that ToD, which took place in 1935, was a prequel. Okay, the hat shrunk, but how did it expand again for RotLA, which took place the following year?
Indy clearly hat it reblocked. :p

...When I was a member of Club Obi Wan (COW), the premier (not to mention other things) Indy site years ago, I had coined the phrase 'screen-reminiscent.'

Screen reminiscent was/is a less severe version of 'screen accurate.'

Some of these guys would, as you mentioned, fuss over every line and angle of the hat, most often the 'Streets of Cairo' (SoC) hat – the dirty, misshapen one with the turn and the mushroomed crown.

I was a member there beginning right around the release of Crystal Skull (2008)...
As best I can remember, that's approximately when I joined Club Obi Wan too ("Zombie Jones"). I stumbled across the forum while I was doing the research for my first fedora, and at the time it was a fun place to hang out. For better or worse that led me here to The Lounge.

...So anyway, I soon came to realize that it was going to be very difficult for me to turn a Fed IV, for example, into a screen accurate Raiders hat that the nit-pickers would approve of. On top of that, it was going to be almost as tough to keep a professionally made Indy hat looking like a screen accurate Indy hat. And I didn't want to stress over it. I just wanted to wear it.

On top of that, I don't look like Harrison Ford. So I came to the comfortable realization that I could wear a brown hat that would remind me, and others, of an Indy hat. I could alter it to be more at one with my face and head, and it didn't need to be painstakingly Indy-accurate. Screen-reminiscent...
Smart move. The Fed IV is, in my humble opinion, a great hat, but it doesn't have the dimensions to be a good "Raiders" hat unless the wearer is considerably smaller than Harrison Ford. But it was close enough for a "Crystal Skull" hat, and since that's what I wanted... :) As I've mentioned before, I tried for years to keep it "Indyesque" by maintaining the Center Dent crease, but finally had to concede my head was too big for that and that a hat I couldn't wear was just taking up space in the house. So I finally gave in and re-creased it to the Diamond it has now; far less Indyesque, but I'm much happier with it now and I wear that hat a lot.

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
Very interesting conversation going on here. I'm having a custom Indy hat commissioned, and while I have some time to figure out exactly how I want it, it's good to see all the descriptions and opinions being expressed. In general, the Raiders hat is my favorite, but there are things about the screen hat that I don't want on my hat. For one it's completely misshapen. I'm one of those people where everything needs to be even and congruent. That's also a reason why I probably won't go with the turn either. I like the center dent and the pinch, but I'll probably go with a pinch that's not quite as tight. I used to be a fan of the ToD hat, but in recent years I despise it the more I see it for reasons stated above. The LC hat may be the closest resemblance of what I desire, minus the brim curl in the back (snap?). The CS hat is very nice, but for whatever reason I am drawn more to the other two I mentioned before. I'm also curious to see how the taller, less tapered crown will look on me. I've never worn anything like it before.

Ryan

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
Indy clearly hat it reblocked. [emoji14]

As best I can remember, that's approximately when I joined Club Obi Wan too ("Zombie Jones"). I stumbled across the forum while I was doing the research for my first fedora, and at the time it was a fun place to hang out. For better or worse that led me here to The Lounge.

Smart move. The Fed IV is, in my humble opinion, a great hat, but it doesn't have the dimensions to be a good "Raiders" hat unless the wearer is considerably smaller than Harrison Ford. But it was close enough for a "Crystal Skull" hat, and since that's what I wanted... :) As I've mentioned before, I tried for years to keep it "Indyesque" by maintaining the Center Dent crease, but finally had to concede my head was too big for that and that a hat I couldn't wear was just taking up space in the house. So I finally gave in and re-creased it to the Diamond it has now; far less Indyesque, but I'm much happier with it now and I wear that hat a lot.
If you don't mind me asking, why would a center dent crease not work on a big head?

Ryan

If you don't mind me asking, why would a center dent crease not work on a big head?

Ryan
I don't mind at all. It's actually not the size of my head that's the issue, but the way I wear my hats. Rather than wearing them level on my head I tend to push them back so the front of the sweatband is at the top of my forehead; this pushes the back of the hat farther down the back of my head, so more of my head fills the crown. That's just how they're most comfortable for me. With a Center Dent, my head pushes the dent up and out from the inside as soon as I put the hat on my head, so it was almost like wearing the hat(s) open crown. With a Teardrop, Diamond, or C-Crown crease, the center dome allows the extra space for my head, so those are my preferred crown shapes by necessity.

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
I don't mind at all. It's actually not the size of my head that's the issue, but the way I wear my hats. Rather than wearing them level on my head I tend to push them back so the front of the sweatband is at the top of my forehead; this pushes the back of the hat farther down the back of my head, so more of my head fills the crown. That's just how they're most comfortable for me. With a Center Dent, my head pushes the dent up and out from the inside as soon as I put the hat on my head, so it was almost like wearing the hat(s) open crown. With a Teardrop, Diamond, or C-Crown crease, the center dome allows the extra space for my head, so those are my preferred crown shapes by necessity.
Makes sense. I was just under the impression that a center dent would result in a slightly higher crown than anything else, but I base that on figuring other creases would cause more of the top of the crown to be used in shaping. I've been debating on a suitable crown height for my custom. I know the Raiders hat had a 5 1/2 crown (open crown I believe). I usually don't wear hats level on my head either. The sweat usually crosses the upper half of my forehead, and I like my hat to sit a little lower over my head, almost to the point of touching the tops of my ears. At the same time I usually check myself out in the mirror to make sure it doesn't look like it's sitting too high or too low on my head. And for what it's worth Zombie, I hope you guys have a turn of fortune coming in the near future.

Ryan

This is interesting. When I have shorter crown hats I sometimes use the center dent crease because it allows me to get the most height out of the crown. I can live with a very shallow center dent, but shallow diamonds etc. just don’t work for me. I also don’t like the looks of the dome needed to accommodate my head being higher than the sides of the crown. I don’t like seeing the dome except from above; this is what often also limits the amount of rake I give my hats.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
A decent compromise is to put a center dent into the crown, put it on your head, and then push the sides out into a diamond while pushing the hat a little further down onto your head to create a slight dome if you need one. I usually do this with steam so everything moves easily and then stays in place.

This way you don't lose the height that you might with a teardrop/c-crown, and a nice side effect is that it straightens up the sides a bit. But you do lose the camel hump effect of a center dent.

Of course, all of this depends on the height and shape of the crown to begin with.

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hmmmmmmmmm, John hand creased my Everyman while I stood there and watched and the front pinch with the center dent was right on at 5.25". I pushed it down quite a bit to the 4.75" it stands at right now. Different crown height for Everyman v. Custom?

i-Drmnffc-L.jpg

i-nvZDg7S-S.jpg

i-fv5DNX7-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy