Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy, Iron Ranger, White's or ???

Fifty150

One Too Many
I have the Red Wings, Alden, and Wolverine. All three are excellent. Allen Edmonds also makes a pretty good boot. For me, they all fit just fine. I wear a size 10, and don't have any problems. Of course it really doesn't matter what I say, or what anyone else says. My feet are not your feet. The best thing to do is to try them on. Now if retailers in your area do not carry the shoe you want, find it online. You were able to find this website. So it should be no problem for you to check amazon.com or any other online shoe seller with a good return policy. Order all the shoes that you want, then try them, and return the ones that you don't want to keep. It shouldn't be a problem.

Fifty150

One Too Many
I like both shoes.

I am really lucky. I have never had fitment issues. I wear the same size all the time.

As for build quality, I think they're both pretty good.

At the end of the day, it comes down to what feels better on your feet. Decide which shoes fits best, then consider the style factor. This is very individual.

steveb7az

New in Town
Thank you everyone, this has been great advice. My budget is about $500 so most everything mentioned here fits within it.

Flat Foot Floey - I looked at the William Lennon site and I must say they are tempting. Even with currency conversion they are within my budget. I've bought a few items from various British establishments in the past year as part of a wardrobe overhaul. The Brits make some good quality stuff!

Graemsay - I looked at both Viberg and Wesco. The Wesco JH Classics look like another contender!

After reading all of the advice I'm rethinking my purchase. The top three choices will probably be the White's (from Bakers), the JH Classics from Wesco or the Derby boot from William Lennon.

Graemsay

Practically Family
I really like the William Lennon boots. They're cheaper than Red Wing over here, and they use good leather from tanneries like Horween.

I've got a pair of their World War I boots on order.

P1080749%20copy-big.jpg

pak

One of the Regulars
Looking at the Baker site it looks like there are some styles that are being produced in horse hide.

nabottle

A-List Customer
I have a pair of Wolverine 1000 Mile and a pair of Allen Edmonds Dalton. Both in dark brown. To me, they are both about the same quality and fit. PERFECT. I have never had such well made boots in my life. I treat both pairs with the utmost care and I hope they last me for many, many years.

Doublegun

Practically Family
I have owned a pair of Whites Semi-dress for almost 3-years and a pair of IR's for about the same. They can't be compared in terms of build or quality. Don't get me wrong, the IR's are a great boot (except for the soles which are absolutely dangerous on ice, slush or snow). The Whites are much more substantial, built to last a lifetime. I worked with them and the fit is perfect. They do take time to break in, but given the way they are built that's to me expected. I use the IR's to work in the yard and when I need a work boot for their intended purpose (work) but I had to have rubber treads glued on in order to remain upright.

As for the Wolverines, gotta say I have looked at them several times and I just don't see spending that much money on them. They are not really dress boots and they certainly not work boots.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Last edited:

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As for White's, you may think twice about ordering block heels. Someone posted these pics of his custom ordered semi-dress with specific request for block heels and these are what White's delivered.
R0015471_zps6dfa52c7.jpg

R0015470_zpsaf074caa.jpg

R0015466_zpsc483737a.jpg

R0015484_zpsfa57b38e.jpg

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
Just get the Whites bounty hunters and be done with it...unless the boots are just for looks, then it doesn't matter so much.

steveb7az

New in Town
I pulled the trigger today on a pair of White's retro oxfords from Bakers Shoes. All of the advice from here was very helpful and I'm confident I'm getting a great pair of shoes. Thanks to all!

jacketquest

Familiar Face
I have a pair of Wolverine 1K's and sized down 1/2 from normal 10.5 to 10 and the fit is comfortable. The boot is built with lots of room in the toe box. The CXL horween hide is very nice and supple and there has been no break in to speak of. But as with others, I am wondering if the boots are really worth the full retail.

I tried on White's SD at a local retailer that were a pair of customer's rebuilds and the boot is totally different than the 1K. It's like comparing a light A-2 jacket with a heavy weight motorcycle jacket. The White's are built like a tank and it feels it, even with a pair where the uppers were broken in. It would take a long time to break in with only casual use I imagine. That said, they are on my list to buy at some point. Just need to budget and figure out the options. I'd probably good with a brown (CXL or classic brown), standard Cuban heel, single midsole, lace+hooks, and mini-vibram.

Doublegun

Practically Family
I pulled the trigger today on a pair of White's retro oxfords from Bakers Shoes. All of the advice from here was very helpful and I'm confident I'm getting a great pair of shoes. Thanks to all!

Please post pictures when you receive them. I have coveted a pair for a couple of years.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
I think Wesco or Whites are great if you're looking for a true pair of work boots. They're built like tanks. For those who are looking for more of a rugged "dress boot" style, I'd recommend Alden, Wolverine 1000 mile or some of the Red Wing alternatives mentioned here. In my opinion, the "W" boots out of the Northwest never really escape the hard core work boot vibe and the two biggest markets for these kind of boots are those who use them as work boots and the leather fetish crowd.

If you're looking for something a bit more reasonable for street wear, then I like some of the other options better.

simonc

Practically Family
I gotta say Whites have to produce the ugliest boots on the block. Then you get the buyers who over spec them so they end up looking like a farmers disco on your feet, they really are too much for me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner