Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy Jacket

bobm

A-List Customer
Question, with all the talk of the A2 jackets and such, what type of jacket was Indiana Jones wearin' all those years fighting the good fight? I know, I know - the Indy jacket, but was it based on any specific type jacket?
Always thought it was (and is) a nice looking jacket.

Bob

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Accuracy in the history of the Indy jacket in Raiders is hard to get. Each site and most of the players in them are flogging a particular line of biases. In most cases we have to take their word for the story as the "proof" is unavailable to the general public. There are at least three official stories going.

From what I can gather, the jacket isn't based on anything. It is a mongrel, a 1980's idea of a 1930's adventurer jacket with A2 type cargo pockets - which confuses people. There are utility jackets from the period which have similar features. I understand that teh back of the jacket, with it's high vents, were there simply to provide the actor with access his whip and gun. The movie version was made of lamb skin.

I don't mind the look of the jacket but a "real" Indy in 1936 was more likely to wear an A1.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
My understanding was that they adapted the design from an A2 both for utilitarian reasons (access to weapons, also the heat, bearing in mind some of the locations in which Ford wore that jacket while filming), and aesthetic choices (specifically, I recall reading somewhere that they did not want something that looked so much like a military issue jacket).

Anders

One of the Regulars
Take an A-2 and remove the knitting and throat latch. Add side pockets, gussets, side buckles and a shoulder seam. Distress liberally in the sands of Egypt.

How'd I do? I seem to remember explaining these differences to more than one person who thought I was dressing like Indy in my A-2. I don't think I convinced them that I'm not an Indy fan ;).

More on topic, i do really love the Indy design, perfect for a casually vintage-inspired look. It was the first leather jacket I ever bought, and someday I'll get one that actually fits.

bobm

A-List Customer
Excellent answers - thanks all.
Actually, I bought one from WINGS a couple of years ago and it seems nice enough for what it is and seems to be well made, with good (not great) quality leather, though it tends to run a bit larger or fuller than I thought.
Anders, what would be the fit problem?

Bob

Anders

One of the Regulars
Hey, mine was a US-WINGS too. I agree with you on almost every count. Fine leather for the price, certainly comfortable, just too darn baggy. Even their small was too much for my frame. I sold it to a friend who usually wears a large and it looks just about right on him.

That purchase was what steered me toward carefully fitted and measured jackets.

bobm

A-List Customer
Yep, but the good news is that in colder weather, you can add a sweater and still have some room to move and remain comfortable -temperature and fit wise. I don't think I will sell it, but knowing what I know know about the fit, I am not sure I would have bought it.

Bob

US Wings has two varieties (well, more if you consider skins, etc.)
US made, and imported. US made are a slimmer cut, generally speaking.
US Wings are a pretty good brand for what you pay. When on sale, they're a good deal. I see them in the classifieds and ebay all the time, so keep your eyes open. USWings.com also has sales most of the time...
I got one last year, and I only wore it once. Nice jacket, just didn't feel right in it (looks, not comfort-wise)
I feel very comfortable in military style jackets, and my Aero HG5. I have my first Half Belt (50's) coming end of November. I hope I like this style on me.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Wow, this thread went longer than I would have expected without a mention of Wested!

http://www.wested.com/indiana-jones-9-c.asp

Wested jackets are not mil-spec tough, but they represent a great value. I had a US Wings goat Indy and gave it away because it didn't fit and was undistinguished when compared to my lambskin Wested.. My Wested is beautiful, and was made custom-sized for an amazingly low cost. It has now made it through eight or nine years of wearing. Well, the thin lambskin back did get torn once... and Wested repaired it beautifully AT NO CHARGE.

Anyway, if you're considering an Indyesque jacket, don't discount Wested! Sure, it's "only" movie wardrobe vs. a military-spec jacket... but you know, that's what Harrison Ford actually wears in the movies!

bobm

A-List Customer
Wow, this thread went longer than I would have expected without a mention of Wested!

http://www.wested.com/indiana-jones-9-c.asp

Wested jackets are not mil-spec tough, but they represent a great value. I had a US Wings goat Indy and gave it away because it didn't fit and was undistinguished when compared to my lambskin Wested.. My Wested is beautiful, and was made custom-sized for an amazingly low cost. It has now made it through eight or nine years of wearing. Well, the thin lambskin back did get torn once... and Wested repaired it beautifully AT NO CHARGE.

Anyway, if you're considering an Indyesque jacket, don't discount Wested! Sure, it's "only" movie wardrobe vs. a military-spec jacket... but you know, that's what Harrison Ford actually wears in the movies!

Aha, was the Wings too large?
Bob

Traut

Familiar Face
Head up!!

I just looked at the US WINGS site. They have some $400++ jackets on sale for $195. Not bad. I have one or else I would "jump in it".

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Take an A-2 and remove the knitting and throat latch. Add side pockets, gussets, side buckles and a shoulder seam. Distress liberally in the sands of Egypt.

How'd I do? I seem to remember explaining these differences to more than one person who thought I was dressing like Indy in my A-2. I don't think I convinced them that I'm not an Indy fan ;).

More on topic, i do really love the Indy design, perfect for a casually vintage-inspired look. It was the first leather jacket I ever bought, and someday I'll get one that actually fits.

Well the original maker Peter from Wested in Britain says the A 2 was not an influence - he reckons the jacket was based on a zip up leather jacket he made known as a James Dean. The studio asked him to add cargo pockets. Without those pockets no one would ever think A2.

That's one of the versions of the jacket's origins.

I certainly prefer the look of an Indy jacekt to an A2 - no matter how accurate the A2 may be.

Well the original maker Peter from Wested in Britain says the A 2 was not an influence - he reckons the jacket was based on a zip up leather jacket he made known as a James Dean. The studio asked him to add cargo pockets. Without those pockets no one would ever think A2.

That's one of the versions of the jacket's origins.

I certainly prefer the look of an Indy jacekt to an A2 - no matter how accurate the A2 may be.

On COW, there's tons of info and discussion on this subject. Indy's are cool - just not on me. Don't know if it's in my head or what, but I just love the classic military jackets more than just about anything.
If all I could own was one of each of these, I'd be (mostly) content:

A1
A2
G1
B3
D1
RAF (not sure which, but...)

:)

Bob Beecher

One of the Regulars
I just looked at the US WINGS site. They have some $400++ jackets on sale for $195. Not bad. I have one or else I would "jump in it".

I just bought the imported Indy "Legend" jacket in steerhide. Regular sizes are on sale for $195, but yours truly is 6' 6" so I require a long size ($215). It's beautiful, better than I had expected, too!

I already have a Cooper A-2 and it does have a "military fit" which is close to the body, like a shirt. The Indy jackets are a "regular fit" and so they are looser.

Now, with my Indy jacket, my Fed IV, and a few accessories, I'll be ready for any emergency this Halloween! (I'll have to post a pic of the entire getup early next month.)

bobm

A-List Customer
I just bought the imported Indy "Legend" jacket in steerhide. Regular sizes are on sale for $195, but yours truly is 6' 6" so I require a long size ($215). It's beautiful, better than I had expected, too!

I already have a Cooper A-2 and it does have a "military fit" which is close to the body, like a shirt. The Indy jackets are a "regular fit" and so they are looser.

Now, with my Indy jacket, my Fed IV, and a few accessories, I'll be ready for any emergency this Halloween! (I'll have to post a pic of the entire getup early next month.)

Hey Bob,

Sounds great - but don't wait so long to post the pics!

Bob

Bob Beecher

One of the Regulars
Did you see the "Indy" hats they were selling?

Sadly.... yes. Yes, I did.

But, since they're an "authorized retailer of the Officially Licensed Indiana Jones Fedoras by Dorfman-Pacific," you're not gonna find a Fed IV on their website.

I finally wore my new jacket to work today, since it's been getting cooler -- well, "cooler" for Los Angeles!

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
hi, does anyone have experience of USWINGS Indy jackets? what kind of fit are they? according to the charts/specs on some of their signature series jacket, it doesn't make any freaking sense! a M or S, the armhole is 25"????? chest in half is 21 for a XS??? I wear size 40, normal fit, I don't know what size to order!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner