Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy or the Hat

What came first,Indy or the fedora?The fedora correct a mundo!Who in all honesty wore fedora`s before this movie,old men.eccentric`s,the English gentry set.So what sparked the fedora interest?Why dont more folks start wearing the bowler style,not cool enough,or why not a top hat they are nice,not cool enough.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There is no doubt the Harrison Ford and the charisma that he brings to the Jones character prompted an interest in the period and the the films of similar genre. That period, our 'Golden Era', in reflection looks exciting and glamorous and the fedora (ala Jones) seems dashing.

I can't speak for everyone, but as for myself, upon seeing the original IJ I went out and bought my first official 'Indiana Jones' fedora - which I still have and wear.

The interest has broadened and I see that others have a similar fascination for the era that seems to revolve around the fedora hat that has become it's symbol.

-dixon cannon

T.E.W.Clough

New in Town
Personally, it was The Third Man that did it for me. Different kind of cool I guess.

bburtner@moran said:
Why dont more folks start wearing the bowler style,not cool enough,or why not a top hat they are nice,not cool enough.

It could be worth noting that the above varieties of hat are considerably more formal, and have strong links with other things- top hats with toffery and ascot, bowlers with morning suits and clockwork orange... probably not quite as aspirational to the same breadth of audience I'd imagine.

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
I can't speak for everyone, but as for myself, upon seeing the original IJ I went out and bought my first official 'Indiana Jones' fedora - which I still have and wear.

ROLA introduced me to the Fedora. Until then I was a Ball Cap and Cowboy Hat guy. My then girlfriend bought me a navy blue fur felt fedora for Christmas that year and I have been wearing fur felt fedoras since. I prefer the Aussie working man's versions made by Akubra now and that is a reflection of my casual style of dress and lifestyle. There was a time in my life when I was in suits all the time and wore the more traditional fedora style.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
"Who in all honesty wore fedora`s before this movie" ?

Before the IJ movies EVERYONE wore a fedora, that's the point. It was the popular style during the 30's and 40's (the setting for the movies).

If the question is "who here on the lounge wore fedoras before Indiana Jones," there are several. A lot of us weren't old enough to have any real sense of style before 1981, though, so we didn't have the chance to ;)

Florida_Marlin

One of the Regulars
When the first indy came out, I was wearing cowboy hats and an old pair of Justins. I gravitated to Aussie type hats way before I obtained anything that looked like an Indy hat. I started wearing a fedora when I decided I wanted to change my wardrobe and wear something besides Levis 505s every day. The fedora seems to "go" better with the clothes I wear out now. So, if I was still wearin my Levis & Justins every day, I would be wearing a nice Stetson western, or the Puerto Fino Western that I own. Maybe then I would be wondering if the hat or George Strait came first? regards

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I think that any movie that enjoys significant success can start (or restart) fashion trends. But Indy did NOT bring back the fedora. There was a small blip of interest in the 80's because of it, but that's it.

However, since Raiders, the accessibility of movies old and new has changed. We can watch movies from any era in our own homes whenever we want. There have been countless movies since Raiders as well as before that clearly show the awesomeness of the fedora, and today's audiences are seeing them more readily. I think THAT is why the fedora has returned. Watch enough movies, and they seem to be everywhere!

And let's not forget the influence of African-American music artists. Regardless of your opinions about their music or the way they dress, many of those artists have been wearing fedoras and homburgs for some time now. People under the age of 30 have likely been inspired as a result (even if it was subliminal).

Indy may be awesome, but he's only one small piece of the puzzle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner