Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inspiration LA 2024

100% agree with everything you said.

The Bucos there that were $2k or more were generally larger sized jackets and in mint condition and could be had for less. Few dealers were firm on prices. Patti was one of them but even she came down on prices a bit.

Not all Bucos were insanely priced though. There was a mint, almost unworn, Buco J-82 priced at $1500. It was a size 38. I saw that one early. I put it on and it was a perfect fit. I hadn’t even checked out all the booths yet so I put it back and went next door to check out Zip’s jackets and less than 5 minutes later I came back and it was gone. I wasn’t disappointed in the slightest as I ended up getting 2 jackets that I wanted much more, one of which I thought was one of the nicest jackets at the whole show.

Late 40’s Durable

View attachment 607127 View attachment 607128

30’s Ralphs Pugh aviator

View attachment 607129 View attachment 607130

Both are beautiful but that Durable is out of this world. It’s MC perfection.

jeo

One Too Many
Would love to see that Durable mouton collar. Perhaps you can share in the mouton collar tread? It will be a great resource for anyone looking to duplicate an original Durable detachable collar. Here is the "Mouton Collar Tread" ;https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/leather-jacket-fur-mouton-collar-attachment-pattern.108468/

The Durable I bought is not 100% original. The lining is a replacement. The label not original to the jacket and I’m pretty sure the mouton collar is not original to the jacket. Everything else is original. I’ll still post when I get a chance.

Your image of the 30’s Ralphs Pugh aviator just answer a question regarding late 30's Harley Davidson Maker. The 30’s Ralphs Pugh aviator is a match for my friend Dann Jauregui's HD label original. He always suspected it was a Ralphs Pugh. Wow it only took some 30 years...

I’d love to see this late 30’s Harley jacket that your friend owns! Please share if you can.

Yes, that is a Cal. One of my favorites. Had it since 1983. Used to ride my Kawasaki GPZ 750 those were the good old time.

It looked killer on you my man, was a perfect fit which is awesome since you’ve owned it for 40 years!

jeo

One Too Many
Had an amazing time at Inspirstion as usual. My wife and I hung out with @jeo a lot of the time just like last year which was awesome. Saw a bunch of great people like Himel, Ooe, Zip, Freenote, Stock Tank, etc. Also met David from Sons of Selvedge podcast who i know onlinez but hadnt met yet. He's a great dude. Also met @photo2u Which was great.

In regard to pricing, @jeo already covered it and I largely agree with @Marc mndt

I've bought one jacket each at the past two Inspiration events. Both times from Pat and Mike as it turns out. Both jackets have been in mint condition with labels, liners, hardware, leather, etc all in great condition.

In both cases I paid cash and was able to bring the price down a bit as a result. I'm not going to go into detail about that, but as Jon said, the prices at the booth are high, but my goodness the jackets are pristine and just fantastic pieces.

The jacket I bought last year was my tan Sportclad that is still my favorite leather jacket a year later. In fact, the only one that may top it is the one I bought this year: a Buco J22 in size 40. Not cheap, but mint and with a 20" Back, much shorter than most Bucos.

I actually thought I'd never buy a Buco because even though D pockets are my favorite style of motorcycle jacket, Bucos are usually pretty long. This one is the shortest leather jacket I've ever owned and you can tell that it came like this from factory. In line with what Marc said, and Jon actually said basically the same thing to me when I was asking for his advice on it: Yeah I might find another one for less, but when will I find another in this condition in this exact size thats this short that I csn actually try on and guarantee a perfect fit? That's worth the price premium to me.

My wife also got her first real leather jacket as well: a West Ride Cafe racer. She also tried on Jon's new Durable and fell in love with it so we may have inadvertently created a monster!
View attachment 607218
View attachment 607219
View attachment 607220
View attachment 607221

Dude, yours is a MINT J-22 (short) everything on it is pristine. The gorgeous red/black plaid wool liner, the beautiful 2nd generation label, the size tag, the hardware looks like it just came out of the factory, the leather is immaculate. And since it’s in person we were able to go over it with a fine tooth comb to make sure there are zero issues. All things considered, you got that jacket for a bargain IMO.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
The Durable I bought is not 100% original. The lining is a replacement. The label not original to the jacket and I’m pretty sure the mouton collar is not original to the jacket. Everything else is original. I’ll still post when I get a chance.

I’d love to see this late 30’s Harley jacket that your friend owns! Please share if you can.

It looked killer on you my man, was a perfect fit which is awesome since you’ve owned it for 40 years!

I will ask Dann next time I visit him in San Felipe Mexico. He is retired and sails a lot sometimes for months. However, I want to share the news about the maker of his HD jacket. If you do have a chance, please share that mouton collar. You know, the collar might be original?

Last edited:
Reactions: jeo

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Had an amazing time at Inspirstion as usual. My wife and I hung out with @jeo a lot of the time just like last year which was awesome. Saw a bunch of great people like Himel, Ooe, Zip, Freenote, Stock Tank, etc. Also met David from Sons of Selvedge podcast who i know onlinez but hadnt met yet. He's a great dude. Also met @photo2u Which was great.

In regard to pricing, @jeo already covered it and I largely agree with @Marc mndt

I've bought one jacket each at the past two Inspiration events. Both times from Pat and Mike as it turns out. Both jackets have been in mint condition with labels, liners, hardware, leather, etc all in great condition.

In both cases I paid cash and was able to bring the price down a bit as a result. I'm not going to go into detail about that, but as Jon said, the prices at the booth are high, but my goodness the jackets are pristine and just fantastic pieces.

The jacket I bought last year was my tan Sportclad that is still my favorite leather jacket a year later. In fact, the only one that may top it is the one I bought this year: a Buco J22 in size 40. Not cheap, but mint and with a 20" Back, much shorter than most Bucos.

I actually thought I'd never buy a Buco because even though D pockets are my favorite style of motorcycle jacket, Bucos are usually pretty long. This one is the shortest leather jacket I've ever owned and you can tell that it came like this from factory. In line with what Marc said, and Jon actually said basically the same thing to me when I was asking for his advice on it: Yeah I might find another one for less, but when will I find another in this condition in this exact size thats this short that I csn actually try on and guarantee a perfect fit? That's worth the price premium to me.

My wife also got her first real leather jacket as well: a West Ride Cafe racer. She also tried on Jon's new Durable and fell in love with it so we may have inadvertently created a monster!
View attachment 607218
View attachment 607219
View attachment 607220
View attachment 607221

It was my pleasure meeting you friend!

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Dude, yours is a MINT J-22 (short) everything on it is pristine. The gorgeous red/black plaid wool liner, the beautiful 2nd generation label, the size tag, the hardware looks like it just came out of the factory, the leather is immaculate. And since it’s in person we were able to go over it with a fine tooth comb to make sure there are zero issues. All things considered, you got that jacket for a bargain IMO.
Yeah and especially after seeing a less rare, worse condition, later edition J22 that would be too long go for several hundred more on yahoo auctions, I feel even better about the price.

Wore the jacket today and felt like a million bucks in it. The only jackets ive felt this good in overall were my Himel Grizzly, Freewheelers Sunset, and the tan Sportclad. Thanks again for the help as always. Youre the best enabler/friend a jacket nerd could have.
It was my pleasure meeting you friend!
Same! Wish we had more time to chat, but maybe next year. I dug the jacket you were wearing btw.

Also was great to see @Squirrel_hero and that amazing Thedi again. How lucky you were that the weather was right for that jacket!

jeo

One Too Many
I will ask Dann next time I visit him in San Felipe Mexico. He is retired and sails a lot sometimes for months. However, I want to share the news about the maker of his HD jacket. If you do have a chance, please share that mouton collar. You know, the collar might be original?

Here are pictures of the mouton collar. No labels or markings anywhere. You can see it was repaired in one corner as it is uneven. All the snaps line correctly on the Durable, but for some reason I have a feeling it’s not original to the jacket.

IMG_8964.jpeg
IMG_8968.jpeg
IMG_8966.jpeg
IMG_8967.jpeg
IMG_8965.jpeg

AHP91

Practically Family

jeo

One Too Many
That looks like an old collar to me. Looks like some markings in at least one of the button snaps
I didn’t say it’s not old, it’s definitely old, I just suspect that it isn’t an original Durable collar. I already knew the collar didn’t come with the jacket, that was disclosed when I bought it.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Thank you so much for posting and taking us along for the ride. Really, kind of you. It takes a lot of time and I truly appreciate the effort!

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Reactions: jeo

jeo

One Too Many
Jeo, Thanks so much for sharing the images. I hope you cool in me posting the images at the mouton tread? https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/leather-jacket-fur-mouton-collar-attachment-pattern.108468/

The collar appears to me as mid 40's to mid 50's due to the French and the L24 Rau snaps. Personally, I love those older better made mouton collars. Very few makers put so much effort in to producing them. The golden collar of the mouton reminds me of the brand Laskin.
Don’t mind at all, go for it! I’ll post my Buco collars as well as others I have too when I get a chance

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Looks like a great outing, and that you all had a great time being there. Just being able to see, handle and even perhaps try-on so many vintage jackets (and boots, apparently) had to have been a wonderful time.

My wallet is sure glad I was not aware of this. However, I may just have to plan to attend next year. i have several friends from Grad school in that area, may just be enough reason to head out that way next year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner