Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Installing an art deco kitchen and bathroom

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Friends, I have just scraped together the moulah to buy a flat in a big art deco block in London. It needs fairly extensive redecorating and, of course, I would like to do it in something resembling period style. This is my first property, so i know next to nothing about these things. Any recommendations of suppliers or artisans (in the UK) or just general suggestions would be most welcome.

I probably wouldn't want a rigid 30s recreation –*the "Depression look" –*but rather something simple and classic. Not a characterless, antiseptic modern bathroom, that's for sure!

Sir J

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Vintage appliances can be fun, but getting a restored stove or fridge can be expensive. Old stoves can be just as efficient as modern ones. But unless you're LizzieMaine, and are adept at defrosting every other month, I'd eschew a vintage fridge. Surprisingly, the old ammonia based compressors from the 1920's can be as efficient as modern ones. But they don't have modern freezer chests, which I think everyone wants.
I've seen interesting pieces on British TV where they refurbished a classic 50's steel cabinet system and installed it in a new home. Again, a monstrously expensive project.
I'd strongly urge taking your time and seeing a lot of old kitchens and bathrooms before committing to anything major.
I get the impression the do-it-yourself home fixer-upper thing is not nearly as big in the UK as here. We have dozens of shows about it. Do they have many in Britain?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
A general suggestion from one homeowner to another: one project at a time.

Paint is economical, especially mis-tinted paint. Satin finish is easily cleaned.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Agree, take your time, don't rush into anything.

Look at lots of period photos to get an idea of the sort of style you want before you start, then you will know when you come across items whether old or new that they will work with your chosen scheme.

Certainly a mixture of old and new will work just fine. Nice though it might be nice to have an old refridgerator or cooker, the likelyhood is that you would have trouble maintaining and getting them repaired unless you are very handy AND can source replacement parts.

A deco bathroom suite is another matter. They do turn up in reclaimation yards and on Ebay etc and can be installed easily.

Oh, and watch the Jeeves and Wooster series as his flat is devine in that!

Good luck! The flat sounds great. I dream of a Bertie Wooster deco flat for when one wants to go up to London. :)

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Some great ideas here. Thanks, all.

I'm also curious to note, parenthetically, how many Antipodeans there are within the Lounge, I pretty much hailing, originally, from that part of the world.

Sir J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot