Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thurston Bros. - Official Affiliate Thread

GregO

One of the Regulars
I recently went through this decision process. The lightweight wool linings add little warmth compared to the cotton, but the wool wicks sweat away from your body, while the cotton drill simply absorbs it and it sits next to your skin. Even for a warm weather jacket, I would still probably go with a light wool. The difference in temperature comfort range will be negligible. Just my 2 cents.

If you plan on wearing it with short sleeves, you might consider a satin/ rayon-like fabric to line your sleeves. It feels better.

maxutilperusd

New in Town
If you plan on wearing it with short sleeves, you might consider a satin/ rayon-like fabric to line your sleeves. It feels better.

That was the initial fabric I was thinking of, not cotton drill. I will almost always wear it with short sleeve shirts. But I'm still undecided on cotton vs wool because I've read different things.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Are the tartan linings a bit more warm than the cotton? I live in Los Angeles where it's sunny 75% of the year and I sweat easily. I like the interesting patterns and colors on the tartans but I'm worried it'll be too hot for me.

There are a couple of cotton tartan patterns available...Royal Stewart, Lanark, and Berry Check!

I recently went through this decision process. The lightweight wool linings add little warmth compared to the cotton, but the wool wicks sweat away from your body, while the cotton drill simply absorbs it and it sits next to your skin. Even for a warm weather jacket, I would still probably go with a light wool. The difference in temperature comfort range will be negligible. Just my 2 cents.

+1 The lightweight wool is the perfect fabric for year-round wear here in Seattle due to its moisture-wicking property!

Aero's new cotton sateens are a great option for a sleeve lining or for the entire lining...they aren't shiny like a standard satin, but they are slicker than cotton drill and very lightweight!

Last edited:

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Wow--nothing like a beautifully worn-in Chromexcel Aero jacket! A Chromexcel jacket arrives shiny and stiff, but with a few months of regular wear-and-tear it will start to develop like this...

www.thurston-bros.com

Aero Half Belt broken-in.jpg

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Carrie I'd love to see some shots of vintage jackets you guys have for sale. Ever think of putting up any?

We only sell our vintage jackets locally these days...it's difficult to sell them long distance because if it doesn't fit, we're don't have a size run available for an exchange! We don't really show them in our current social media for this reason, but we may have time in the future to put some up in ebay listings. We love authentic vintage, but it's getting harder to find in good condition (and good sizes and desirable styles) these days...

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Button cuffs, raised zipper and pointer collar means its more likely a premier half belt than a 50's.....unless he went full custom!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy