Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Intro/ AAF WWII Goggles

Zephyrspeed

New in Town
Hello, I finally decided to join on here after lurking around for a while and really liked what I saw! I stumbled upon here via google search for vintage engineer boots, and to my amazement, more great threads about WWII clothes, and the vintage lifestyle. I build dentures for a living, and I'm the 3rd generation in the business that has been around for 61 years. I also build vintage traditional 1930's hot rods in the WWII/post WWII era just like the guys did back then. I also collect and wear all my WWII jackets, goggles, caps, toolboxes, decals, 1930's bikes, and basically everything vintage. I'm just an old soul in a 22 year old's body. :)

Anyways, I did a search on here and didn't really find what I was looking for, so I wanted to start a thread on vintage pre war and post war goggles. If there is already a thread that I somehow didn't see, I'm sorry. I love the American Optical 30's goggles because of their ornateness and detailing that went into them. The navy AN-6530's are a very close second, and are also quite a cool looking goggle. Not only were these goggles used in the war, but also on the dry lakes where the guys wore them while blasting down El Mirage dry lake in their roadsters. Anyways, lets see what else is out there, some cool vintage pics, or whatever else is out there!!

My coupe I built entirely in my garage when I was 18, junior/senior year in highschool, still drive it daily, here it is on Christmas day with me, my B-3 jacket, and my B-9 winter flight helmet.
0910041.jpg

My dream goggles, I have waited for just the right pair and saved my coins for the past 2 years! Just got these the other day, perfect conditon too!
0910002.jpg

Anyone know what squadron that AA with a lightning bolt is??? Or any other info on the guy J. Douglass, that would be awesome!!!!!
0910004.jpg

Another American Optical version, but with a different adjuster knob and some cool shaded lenses.
0910005.jpg

Found these still in the box in my grandpas garage after he passed away in a Navy rocket box. He was in the Navy in WWII, so I suppose this is where they came from.
0910007.jpg

Unknown goggles that were included in my B-9 flight helmet purchase. Any ideas???
0910008.jpg

Eyemo

Practically Family
RAF Mid War (WW2) Goggles MKVIII:) Can't tell if they are original...as there are many very good repros of this popular type out there..Hope this helps.

Love the Car!!!....Welcome.

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Welcome to the lounge! Great car and love your whole attitude!!! I'm trying the same thing as you, but with motorcycles as my outlet of choice.

The goggles are great- I've seen motorcyclists wearing goggles like your's. Resistal was also a very popular brand and Harley sold them, but added straps with H-D logos. As well, the Resistal was adopted as the M1938 goggle.

Clint

H.Johnson

One Too Many
They are modern reproductions by Halcyon - you can see the British Standard quality number and label (HALC) on the side of the lens frames.

Eyemo said:
RAF Mid War (WW2) Goggles MKVIII:) Can't tell if they are original...as there are many very good repros of this popular type out there..Hope this helps.

Love the Car!!!....Welcome.

Edward

Bartender
Yeah, good eye! They look very similar to a pair I have at my parents' place somewhere.... Granda Marlowe bought them from a surplus place right after the war to wear when out on his motorcycle (also have the leather gauntlets somewhere). I suspect mine are a late war variant, given the time of purchase. Certainly are a lot of good repros around; also, didn't the basic design stay popular among bikers (at least right up until open-face helmets went out of common usage)? That being so, did the basic design ever really go out of production?

Zephyrspeed

New in Town
Wow, thanks for the nice, quick comments! Yeah I was thinking that they were a RAF style goggle like what I saw in some old WWII pics, but I knew that they were most likely an aftermarket goggle due to their good unused condition and newer looking craftsmenship. They were basically a freebee with my original WWII B-6 leather helmet so that was cool, I wanted the helmet more anyways. Any ideas on that squadron logo or the fella that wore them, thats what I'm reaaally curious about!??

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
The second pair are Poloroid B-3 I believe. I also have a pair they were used by Tankers and Fighter pilots. They are similar to the ones issued in 'Nam. those are WWII because the strap goes through the lens. The later issue has a slot on the outside of the rubber frame.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Cool goggles

The rubber pair of goggles are either B-8s or M-1944. They should be marked on the top dead center above the top snap. Also look for the date of manufacture on the left or right side face. On one side it is marked U.S. the other side has the date made. Also the B-8 strap was a two piece design where the M-1944 had a single elastic green strap. The Repop MKVIIIs are great, a very comfortable goggle to wear.

Edward

Bartender
:eek:fftopic:

Curious about your B3... just noticed two pockets, and the non-protrusion of fleece-fluff over the cuffs.... Is that a civilian verson, or has it been modified? Cuffs remind me of the later ANJ4(?).

Zephyrspeed

New in Town
I honestly do not know, I got it for 40 bucks, so I didn't really care. I dont think it is a war issue due to the seams, pockets, and lack of tag. It is pretty close to a real b-3 look wise, plus the entire jacket's leather is all cracked up, but yet still sturdy enough for every day wear, so it does really look like a war issue in person. I do have a real B-3 at home, but it has some blow holes in it, and it is quite fragile, so it does not get worn much. Either way, I have a hard time spending 400+ for a real B-3 that I can't wear...and I don't like that new looking "stuff" hahaha:)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Are any repro parts made for the AOs? Mine are unwearable because the rubber and strap are so deteriorated.

I could pay $125 for WPG's repro B-7s and try to use those rubbers and strap, but do I have any alternative?
B_7_Goggles.jpg

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
parts

Fletch,

As far as the strap goes any sewing outlet has the correct black or white elastic to replace your old stuff. All the stitches are very easy to make with a home sewing machine. There is a gentlemen (Allen Bass)located in Toms River NJ, who should have the seperate B-7 style eye cushions and the AN-6530 cushions. He also had the straps. He even had frames and lenses. His ebay name is aviationetc.
Hope this helps
JZ

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, but I won't deal with Allan. He's known for hoarding repro equipment to sell at inflated prices.

There's another outfit with repro 6530 cushions for $90. I assume they could be trimmed to two pieces...?

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Phantomfixer said:
The rubber pair of goggles are either B-8s or M-1944. They should be marked on the top dead center above the top snap. Also look for the date of manufacture on the left or right side face. On one side it is marked U.S. the other side has the date made. Also the B-8 strap was a two piece design where the M-1944 had a single elastic green strap. The Repop MKVIIIs are great, a very comfortable goggle to wear.
You are correct on the Poloroids. I dug them out to check it. I have a very-good to mint pair. I also have an A-11 in the same condition. I bought a complete helmet 20 + years ago for 100.00 bucks. It is one of my prized possessions.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Yeah the A-11 is a great helmet. Very comfortable to wear. They are getting tough to find in good shape, a keeper for sure. As far as the 6530 and cutting them down, I don't know. They are a foam rubber type material were I think the B-7s were straight rubber. But I guess it could be done. Maybe Garcia Aviation has them? Anyone remember Aviators World out in Mojave CA? That was a great place to find stuff. Long gone I guess now.

Zephyrspeed

New in Town
Phantomfixer said:
Yeah the A-11 is a great helmet. Very comfortable to wear. They are getting tough to find in good shape, a keeper for sure. As far as the 6530 and cutting them down, I don't know. They are a foam rubber type material were I think the B-7s were straight rubber. But I guess it could be done. Maybe Garcia Aviation has them? Anyone remember Aviators World out in Mojave CA? That was a great place to find stuff. Long gone I guess now.

The A-11 is a killer helmet! I love the one I have. Actually one of the ear pads is burned from what looks as if the headphone cable cought on fire or something, only time will know. The American Opticals look the best with that one I will have to admit, along with an A-2 jacket of course! Thanks for the help and giving me some more info on the identification and stuff guys! Is that AA with a lightning bolt really a tanker squadron??? I would have thought that with wings on the goggles and the wings drawn in marker on the strap that it would have been from a pilot in the AAF? They also came with a super crusty leather helmet too that was unsalvagable...[huh]
0910003.jpg

Hopalong

One of the Regulars
Pre WW II and WW II Goggles & Helmets

If you want a super book that pictures Pre WW II and WW II Goggles and Helmets and etc and also gives a history on them you should look for a book titled: "Vintage Flying Helmets" by Mick Prodger and if you can't find the book, let me know and I'll give you the authors number and address.
Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou