Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introduction

TipTop

Practically Family
Always a hat, never a fedora...until now.
Hi All, I've been trying mightily to avoid baseball caps, sneakers and jeans forever, but slipped into that cap mode over the past decade, as I grew thinner on top and needed convenient cover. Over the years, I recall buying a Brooks Bros straw boater, a double-billed (Sherlock Holmes) tweed number at Paul Stuart, an Orvis leather outback, and even a couple of Christies, and countless fun ski hats--the latest, a very convincing black bear head, that I now wear with my Newfoundlands to dog events. Anyway, I went out west for the first time last May and needed some serious cover for dazzling desert sun photo shoots; that started the ball rolling.

I live in upstate New York, so, 4+ brims and 5+ crowns (on 6'3" me) are really not a reasonable option. But I did find a nice straw western hat--even in a 7 3/8 long oval on Canyon Rd. in Santa Fe that got me going on western-style hats. I have since bought a couple of Ritch Rands that are magnificent (yet still conservative) and I am also very partial to vintage 70s Churchills from Neiman Marcus.

So, I thought I'd stop in here and see what I can learn...and I'm sure it will be plenty. I'm headed to Montana this May and am already worrying about added baggage charges for not only my camera equipment, but....hats!

Last edited:
Welcome, TipTop. If you have some Rands, you are a"head" of the game for sure. Hats like the Churchills and Stetson OR's are nice for a semi-Western look without being overly "cowboy" looking. Last time I was out west I wore an OR.

TipTop

Practically Family
Welcome, TipTop. If you have some Rands, you are a"head" of the game for sure. Hats like the Churchills and Stetson OR's are nice for a semi-Western look without being overly "cowboy" looking. Last time I was out west I wore an OR.
Thx 'phile, you've hit the proverbial hat on the head. I'm not familiar with ORs, so I'll have to do some research, but I have to say that a new Stetson Sporting Clay languishes as my least favorite top. I've steamed and stuffed and bent and it still just doesn't feel right...but that's why I'm here...to learn. Thx for the Tip on the Top.

Oh, and that's a smoke Rand Sporting Clay, with a tooled band, that I have on in my avatar. Luke at RR is refurbishing a Churchill for me now; he's a thoughtful and thorough guy.

Last edited:
I have 2 Rands I got in Colorado. One is a light tan/beige Oriana creased cowboy hat with dark brown ribbon and edge binding. The other is just a big ole black cowboy hat. They are nice, but not real practical in NE Ohio.
That's why I'm an OR fan, but the vintage ones, not the newer ones!

wodka1984

New in Town
customs... what a timerobber

Hi there, relatively new to hats, well fancy hats. I´ve always worn tweedcaps and banged up woolfelt westerns, but i recently bought my first proper hat (i know it´s not much as to your regular standard) a Christys fedora in steelgray with a black band... and boy did it get the ball rolling, next up is a black Mayser and today i recieved my first proper vintage -a 70´s something grey stingybrim Stetson..... and now i´m waiting for my latest find on the bay, a 30´s Knox lord hat, can´t wait to get my hands on some felt that old.
well, by the way my name is Sakarias, i live in a town called Roskilde in Denmark (in all of Denmark, there is only one dedicated hatshop it´s dating back from 1857 sold hats to princes and kings and now he´s retiring with no one to take over the shop...thats sad) with my wife and to beautyfull girls,27 years old and i´m hooked on hats.
Best regards,
Sakarias Wodka
(pics comming when my camera is up and rolling)

Hey there... well after a long time waiting my Knox finally cleared customs, so it should arrive tomorrow! can´t wait!

Andrew B.

New in Town
Hi all. I've been reading here about hats, and thought I'd say hi.

My constant companion for more than 15 years has been a Dorfman Pacific chocolate color, felt, teardrop, pinch front with 2 1/2 inch brim. It looks very much like their Scala Outback DF6 except it has a ribbon band. I wore this thing to work, to clubs, and out in the pouring rain. An every day hat. Now it's looking sort of beat up, and I'm shopping for a new hat. That's how I ended up reading here. Trying to learn more, because I've had no luck buying online. I've returned them all.

So now I'm planning on trying stores, even though I have trouble getting around. On my list of places to visit are Hollywood Haters, Hollywood Hat Lounge, and Goorin Bros. And I'm also open to suggestions in or near Hollywood CA.

By the way, I also have a Henschel leather hat that's the same shape/color, but 3" brim. It has a leather band with diamond cutouts, and some sort of reptile skin showing through the cutouts. But I never wear it anymore.

And when I'm done shopping, I hope to have a felt hat similar to what I have now, and a some sort of straw hat. And who knows what else, if it looks great.

Anyway, that's it. I hope to read here more and learn more.

Paolo Maltese

New in Town
hello Fedora Loungers

First off, a tip of my hat to your great forum, which I've found equal parts informative and entertaining. A long time Canadian hat wearer, I started at 16 with a second-hand shop fedora ,which I still have 36 years later, though I regret not having taken better care of it. I've worn tweed flat caps, corduroy caps and a black flat brim Stetson that I wore on stage , which I also still have though it's something of a basket case now. After a few years wearing Canadian Armed Forces issue (an organization famous for it's lack of style back in the 70's and 80's), I got back to civilian hats through the darn near ubiquitous (at least up here) Tilley Hat . And after lurking for two years and learning FAR more than I could have imagined, I've purchased two Akubras as Christmas gifts to myself, A fawn Cattleman and a Moonstone Stylemaster.

Once again, I want to complement you gentlemen (and ladies) on your fantastic forum, which always provides a lively read. It's the first Internet forum I've ever wanted to be a part of. Cheers!

felkor

New in Town
Hello everyone! My name is James and I just got my first fedora this week. My wife bought me a Biltmore Ark for my birthday. I've been wanting one for quite awhile, and with the Biltmore plant (which is about a half hour away from me) closing down and moving to Texas, my wife was able to get a big discount on a hat from the outlet store connected to the factory. Anyway, I'm totally new to hats (last one I oned was a baseball cap back when I was in high school), so I've been doing lots of online research on them this week and have found this forum to have a lot of useful information, so thought I would register and say hi. Hopefully soon I'll get a picture of myself in the hat up on the site, and I also have a question or two to ask as well, which I'll do in the Questions thread. Awesome site, guys!

Joe Rotax

Familiar Face
...I live in upstate New York, so, 4+ brims and 5+ crowns (on 6'3" me) are really not a reasonable option.

The wide brim hat that you have in your avatar works well - you could wear that one anywhere IMO.

I'm 6'3" as well and I'm presently living in an area where western style hats are somewhat rare but I wear a standard cattleman SB anywhere and any time I feel like it which is pretty much everyday.

Went and looked at some narrower brim hats today and discovered that they don't look right on me for some reason - I'm OK with that and I'll just carry on as I have been.

When I started wearing these things more or less full time I was a bit conscious of certain contexts but now I resent the idea of not wearing my hat when I go somewhere just because it might be perceived as out of place or whatever in a particular situation.

Actually, when I look at some of the whack jobs runnin round this town I'm tempted to add a cap & ball colt to my daily get up....lol

Destinys Agent

Familiar Face
Hi Guys (and Girls),

Recently, I became interested in dressing a little more 'My Age', 45. I have always admired gentleman dressers and especially 1920s/30s style. Influences include UK TV Series like Poirot, Jeeves & Wooster and Miss Marple. Also the classic sharp dressers like David Niven, Cary Grant, James Stewart, James Bond et al. My father, sadly no longer with us, always wore a shirt and tie and normally some sort of trilby wherever he went, even down to the corner shop.

I have especially always loved hats. Despite never owning one until recently. My first was an Austrailian 'outback' hat bought purely as a sun hat (OK I should have gotten a Panama!). I have worn this out and about in the summer. About a month ago, I fell in love with a fedora, a Jaxon felt C Crown and bought it on impulse. I still love it but it's very light and I'm afraid of it blowing away! Hence I've not tried it out yet. It sits on my head reasonably well but doesn't 'stick' there even though I believe the size to be correct. I'll ask elsewhere for a fix for that problem.

I've also, for the first time in my life, got 4 pairs of shoes! I've only ever had one pair at a time in the past and walked them into the ground before buying replacements. OK 45 is a little old to grow up but I got there in the end! I now love dressing up and wearing one of the 4 sports jackets I've recently bought with decent trousers (not jeans), shirt & tie. I just need a little guidance on what hat goes with what and when which is why I've come here to chat to you lovely people!

This is the power of the internet. Like minded folk able to share their knowledge and expeiences. Thanks for being here.

Steve - Destinys Agent

bjornborg11

New in Town
Hello fendora loungers,

I have thoroughly enjoyed viewing some of the posts and can’t wait to view more. Such good information. I recently decided to take my dress up just a bit and this forum so far I believe will be a great help for me. Just wanted to say Hi so HI!!

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Hello fendora loungers,

I have thoroughly enjoyed viewing some of the posts and can’t wait to view more. Such good information. I recently decided to take my dress up just a bit and this forum so far I believe will be a great help for me. Just wanted to say Hi so HI!!

Decided to take your dress up a bit?!

I know the boys will want to see photos ... ;)

Welcome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy