Introduction

Discussion in 'Hats' started by STHill, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Historyteach24

Historyteach24 Call Me a Cab

Welcome back!

Grey Homburg likes this.
  2. Spudman

Spudman One of the Regulars

Hello, hat folks! I've gotten re-interested in hats after acquiring a Dobbs fedora from a neighbor who is moving away. I have been using the forum for research and it has led to me buying other hats. I never wore hats a lot because my hair would hold the shape of the hat after I took it off. I guess I'm older and I don't worry about my hair as much, or I don't have as much to worry about...

Anyway, this looks like a nice bunch of people and I hope to contribute.

Grey Homburg and Bob Roberts like this.
  3. RJR

RJR

Welcome Spudman.

4. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

Join us in hat madness. Good People here.

Grey Homburg and Historyteach24 like this.
  5. STHill

STHill One of the Regulars

Wow! I just stumbled across this thread in the "recent posts" section and realized I started it. In 2004. Lordy, where'd the time go?

I haven't posted much in recent years (I'm more of a reader than a poster, anyway), and I come and go from the forum as my interests ebb and flow. But I frequently check back in with the FL to see what's going on. It's a great group of amazing people. I'm just jazzed that my humble introductory post from a hundred years ago sparked a thread that's still going on.

That's it. Just wanted to say "hey" again.

Grey Homburg likes this.
  6. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

Hi. Never had the pleasure. Why not get active again?

7. hatsRme

hatsRme I'll Lock Up

Good to see you returning, Mr. Hill!

8. Historyteach24

Historyteach24 Call Me a Cab

Welcome back! It is truly amazing how many people come and go from this board, such a great community and always glad to see people get back into it. I also went into hiding for about a year because I got discouraged and NEVER finding hats in vintage shops and never landing vintage ones in my size, but the bug has bitten me again and so happy to be involved in the community

9. seilerjp

seilerjp New in Town

Hello all. I am a bit new at this. I have worn flat caps for a number of years. Head surgery two years ago means that it is imperative that I wear a hat when I go outside, especially in the sun (removed a malignant melanoma). I have recently acquired a modern Bailey Fedora, and several old ones including a Royal Stetson Deluxe, a Royal Stetson, and a Dobbs, all either homburg or fedora. It will probably be the first of many more purchases in the future. I have been reading the archives and have learned a lot. Obviously, from the photo, I am also a pipe collector and pipe smoker. I also collect books, such as Sherlock Holmes, and Tolkien. I have also written some amature short stories which can be found here if interested: http://pipedia.org/wiki/John_Seiler If I find I can contribute to a discussion, I will, otherwise, I will be quiet as a church mouse.

DOGMAN likes this.
  10. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

Welcome. Silence isnt always golden. Sometimes we just BS aroun... ;)

11. RJR

RJR

Welcome to the Lounge,John.

12. hatsRme

hatsRme I'll Lock Up

Welcome aboard, John, and don't be shy, sir!

13. Hello all! New member here. All of my life I have been interested in the period of the American Civil War and the settling of the American West. Most of my hats are cowboy hats in the Old West style with a few gambler and cattlemen styles as well. I have a collection of custom made to measure hats, off the shelf factory hats and vintage hats. Both the custom and factory hats see regular wear. Along the way as I have aged I find at times I want a hat with a narrower brim so I have added a fedora or two and a Homburg but no stingy brims. I have become interested in the Victorian era and have been letting my beard grow longer in a Victorian style so I have added a Dobbs bowler or derby and have been surprised how much I like it and the compliments I have received while wearing it. I look forward to branching out my collection as I participate and learn here from the Fedora Lounge.

DOGMAN, Bamaboots and Bob Roberts like this.
  14. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

Welcome to the Lounge, Spudman, John, and HurricaneJack. This forum has some of the most civil, decent, and interesting people and topics on the web. Hurricane Jack, I just got a Bakersboy Harris Tweed not too long ago from a fellow named Stew Angus, who makes caps for AmiCharnel on Etsy. The reason I mention him is because he lines his caps with the designs of William Morris, the designer and high-priest of the Gothic Revival movement during the Victorian era. Anyway, welcome, everyone!

15. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

Welcome!

16. RJR

RJR

We look forward to getting to know you,Hurricane.

17. Thanks RJR. I look forward to participating & learning about different styles & eras of hats here. And maybe some Victorian clothing too!

18. safetyfast

safetyfast One of the Regulars

I've been lurking here awhile. I only have two real hats so far. One is a silverbelly Strat. The other is an Akubra Cattleman I just received. I bought it thinking it would be good for rainy days to the office, fishing and hiking. However, I'm not crazy about the 3 1/4" brim on me. Not too sure about the stiff felt either. I was thinking that the open crown would make it cooler than my Stratoliner, but after wearing it today, I think it's actually hotter. I'm thinking now I should have gone with a campdraft. I'm eyeing a bluegrass green one.
    Here's a pic though I hate posting my photo online. Disregard the spot, it's from rain run off. Oddly enough, in this selfie, because the camera is so close, the brim seems smaller than it does in the mirror.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    Bob Roberts and Spudman like this.
  19. Spudman

Spudman One of the Regulars

I hate to post my photo online too, but since I've joined the lounge I'm already up to five or six selfies. They assured me everyone just looks at the hat anyway.
    It sounds like you are off to a good start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Roberts likes this.
  20. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

Do u want encouragement to buy a BG CD...??? LOL! Sure, BUY IT!!!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Gabe Long and Spudman like this.