Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introduction

great white

Familiar Face
Hello all, just joined the lounge.

I'm military, RCAF, so hats are kind of a part of my professional life: Beret, Wedge cap, forage cap, Bush, tilley, ball cap, etc...

As a result, I don't really wear hats outside of work. It's my rebellious streak that does it I guess. I just flat out don't like baseball caps (unless cutting the lawn or such), which seems to be the main style these days.

My large head also doesn't make it easy. 7 5/8 is my size. if someone was to choose between a million dollars and my head full of nickles, they would probably be better off to take the nickles.......:cool:

I recently decided a nice knock around hat would be good for hiking, walking the dogs, yard work and just general wearing. Keep the sun out of my eyes on bright days, keep the cold and mist off my head on gray days. The sun also seems to recently be doing bad things to people I know, so a hat probably isn't a bad idea for that either. 48 Years under my belt and I'd like to get another 30 or so healthy ones on the clock before it's time to punch the final card. My wife and daughter would probably agree.

Hats are hard to come by around here (can't even get wool felt, so it's cheap dept store fair or nothing). It's mail order, ebay or nothing.

Cruising the bay, I bought a Dobbs Fedora simply because I liked it. Not quite a hiking hat. So I came across an Akubra Snowy river and picked that up, intending to modify it a bit.

Hopefully, that will be it for a while. These two should cover most of what I do in my life for the time being. The missus isn't going to be happy if I buy any more hats anytime soon!

Actually, she only knows about the Dobbs, she doesn't know about the Akubra yet. I'll have to sell that as something that will get me out with her and the dogs more often. Yeah, that willl work.

Right?

:)

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab

No!

If a couple doesn't have a troubled economy, I see no reasons why they should be controlling each other on details like that. I would expect such restrictions from a parent - not from a spouse. In my world a marriage involves three "lives": "Your life - my life - and our life" - and here balance, accept and respect are very important keywords. Be honest and expect honesty ... that will work ;)

- and of course: Welcome to The Lounge :)

great white

Familiar Face
No!

If a couple doesn't have a troubled economy, I see no reasons why they should be controlling each other on details like that. I would expect such restrictions from a parent - not from a spouse. In my world a marriage involves three "lives": "Your life - my life - and our life" - and here balance, accept and respect are very important keywords. Be honest and expect honesty ... that will work ;)

- and of course: Welcome to The Lounge :)

Lol, the "smiley face" at the end was meant to convey a joking tone.

I guess it didn't quite come through. No worries.

The missus and I have a very healthy and equal relationship in all aspects. The Ex was another story....:)

Cheers.

Phteven

New in Town
What a terrific site. I found the site while trying to definitively learn the difference between a trilby and a stingy brim fedora.

Like many guys my age, I have decided to skip the comb over and just shave my head. As a result, my head gets cold and I've taken to wearing hats. Over the years, I've stuck mainly with knit hats, but they look very casual for work. And so I started looking into different options.

Before long, I ended up with my first fedora. I tend to prefer the stingy brims, and my "go to" hat most days is a Stefeno fur felt that I purchased about a year ago at Byrnie Utz downtown. I liked hats before I went in, but the enthusiasm and expertise of the guys there was infectious. It was like stepping back in time.

great white

Familiar Face
Welcome to another LNL (Large Noggin Lounger)...us gifted with additional brain capacity need to stick together....

Thanks.

However, I do wish that added brain capacity translated over directly to increased billfold filling capacity.

Alas, such has not been the case for me and it seems my new interest in the classic "chapeau" is going to make the gap even larger.

:)

The Veg

New in Town
Hi all,
Found my way here searching for some hat information, of course.

I've never been a 'hat-person' to speak of. I've owned a few run-of-the-mill hats here and there, nothing special- a couple of caps from events and a crushable/floppy outdoor type to keep the sun off...but never anything really classy.

Then earlier this year I had the chance to attend a sci-fi/fantasy convention and wound up deciding to go in costume. I forget how the decision arrived where it did, but I wound up deciding that my costume would be Indiana Jones. You see where this is going...

It didn't take too much interwebz-research to figure out that I didn't want the $30 hat with the little plastic movie-title logo on the band. Opting for excellent quality that I could wear forever, I got myself an Akubra Adventurer, probably the best-made Indy-style hat around (and yet NOT the most expensive!).

I'd never paid anywhere NEAR this much for a hat before, so I had a feeling of wondering if I was really making a smart purchase. I was also a little nervous because this hat is shipped open-crown.

All my fears were laid to rest soon though. Once out of the box I was instantly in love with the hat, and even more so after I gave it a nice bash over a pot of boiling water with the lid cracked (saw some good online videos on how it's done...can't believe people actually pay money for this simple task!).

Then at the convention I really enjoyed wearing the hat, despite the hot weather (Hey, the sweat is authentic to the character! :p ). Now that it's cooling off I'm loving this hat even more, and I'm now interested in good felt hats.

That's my story, and I'm sticking with it!

IMG-20130831-00131-L.jpg

Reuben

New in Town
Howdy gents. 7 7/8-8 tall and narrow here, so I've had a touch of trouble finding hats that fit me. I came for the union tag dating thread, stayed after purchasing several nice hats at an estate sale I'm trying to find appreciative homes for. I'd appreciate suggestions for affordable hats that might fit, like a simple ball cap or a decent wide-brimed hat good for hunting in the cold or keeping the rain off. In full disclosure, I'll probably head back to AAAC once I've sold off the hats I found, though I may check in from time to time.

Cleon

New in Town
Good day to you all. This is a wonderful site full of all kinds of useful information and, it looks like, good fellowship.

I'm a relatively new hat wearer who has been lurking on the site for about six months now - 7 1/4 extra long oval as far as I can tell. I prefer my brims down and in the 2 1/2" to 2 3/4" range.

I've got an Akubra Banjo Paterson in Heritage Fawn that is my daily cool weather hat. It was recently run over by a Christmas parade float. With a little steam and brushing it is really no worse for the wear. I've got a Sunbody palm fedora for daily summer wear. It's even been in the pool with me! I also have some vintage hats that I've acquired, mostly to see how they were made, and a few other Akubra hats. My next step is to go custom.

I enjoy family, pipes and tobacco, theology, fountain pens, bow ties, and now hats!

Forgive me if it takes me a while to catch on to the forum decorum. I'm a regular at a Christian pipe smoking site which is very free flowing and self moderated. I'll try my best to stay on topic when I post!

Last edited:

babygirl...

One of the Regulars
I have been lurking here for a couple of months now and have really enjoyed the topics and the in depth discussions that you guys have to offer here so thought I would join in the fun and just hope I can keep up..:) Wishing to learn and share what little I have to offer also..Looking forward too many conversations about the best times in our history and of course all the great styles of Hats and Caps here on the FL...etc etc..

cavvyinky

New in Town
Hello all, Been Lurking and learning for quite a while. Figured its time to jump in a little! I'll post a few pics as I go. Started communicating with Art about a first VS. It will be a very belated Christmas present from my wife. Worth the wait I'm sure!!

aihpcfl

New in Town
Hello everyone. I found the site when looking for places where hats are discussed.

My interest is really just as a wearer. I've been wearing a hat for decades but somehow never bought a fur felt hat until now. This particular one has been calling my name for a couple years. I was reading up on fur felt, care, and so on and then thought of looking for a forum just to see what guys are talking about when it comes to hats, and that search led me here.

Anyway, I'm here, reading. Appreciate the site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot