Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone app that makes movies look ancient

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Matt Deckard showed this to me recently. It's an iPhone app that makes any film that you shoot with the iPhone look like a silent home movie, circa 1920. Music included.

(And there's another iPhone app that gives your film the appearance of a faded 16mm color movie from, say, 1940.)

Anyway, here's an example of the first app... a bit of nonsense shot by Matt Deckard himself several weeks ago. Some of you might recognize the infamous Nathan Marsak in this scene:

[YOUTUBE]891oaj9TBMA[/YOUTUBE]

Bustercat

A-List Customer
Any of you able to film movies on your 3g? (not 3gs)

I have to film using another app, transfer to the computer, then ftp it back to myself. Really annoying.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I just bought this app in its expanded form - since this thread was made, "Vintage Movie Maker" was expanded into "Silent Movie Maker" with more workstation style features to compliment the camera mode. I'll give it a try and see if anything is worth posting. I'll be recording on the iPhone 4 I upgraded to with xmas money, for what it's worth.

EDIT: Seems pretty cool so far. I walked upstairs, recorded a 10 second home movie on the iPhone's camera, went into the program and was able to add a cheesy ragtime piano and silent movie filter in just a few seconds. There are a lot of options for things like playback speed and whatnot. I'll have to mess a round. You can add some default tunes like ragtime pieces or projector SFX, or upload your own. You can add those text plates as well - making it really authentic as a silent film. This is going to be fun.

Last edited:

Pompidou

One Too Many
The app got rereleased in an upgraded form that I picked up today. I had to make a three minute promo clip as a finalist in a grant contest for my cafe, and I figured I'd use the garbage in something of a bloopers reel. It's more a learning project for me, since the real movie has to be serious, but it does a good enough job demonstrating the results of the silent movie editor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyRQK6koEWI

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Looks like you could use a Glif for your iPhone. If you have a iPhone 4 the Glif is a tripod attachment that allows you to use a tripod to get a better shot.
The Glif

slide-image-1.jpg

slide-image-3.jpg

I then use a GorillaRod tripod to get the right angle for the video.
gorillapod

gpm-slide.jpg

I have the magneitc one so I can use metal as a support if needed.
I use my iPhone for a camera alot especially after my house was broken into and all my cameras where stolen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran