Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Irish Cap Questions - Jonathan Richards Motoring Cap and An Cruac Flat Cap

Christopher Smith

New in Town
Greetings all,

I thought there used to be a thread here under the title "the cap faction" but for some reason I can't find it even when I search for it. Maybe someone can move this is there's a more appropriate thread for it to be in.

Anyway, I have two Irish caps that I bought from Ebay. One is a Jonathan Richards Motoring Cap. I am familiar with that brand, but was wondering if this specific cap is vintage. The label is one that I haven't seen before and the plastic over it gives me the idea that it's not a recent cap.

The second cap I'm attaching photos of is made by a company called An Cruac. I've never heard of this company before. I know in Gaelic "cruach" with an h means hill or mound but I'm not sure if the name of this company is a variation on that. The label looks very worn as does the rest of the inside of the cap. This one I'm also wondering if it's vintage, but also wondering if anyone has any information regarding this "An Cruac" brand. Whether it was specifically a hat and cap company, or whether it made outdoor/hunting attire or something like that. It's a mystery to me, and I'd really love help solving it.

I'm also attaching some pics of me wearing the caps. I'm not sure if those would be at all helpful but just thought I'd include them. I know sometimes vintage caps have a different look or sit differently on the head than more contemporary caps so I thought maybe including them might be helpful. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_8955.JPG
    IMG_8955.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 410
  • IMG_8956.JPG
    IMG_8956.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 447
  • IMG_8957.JPG
    IMG_8957.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 265
  • IMG_8958.JPG
    IMG_8958.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 322
  • IMG_8960.JPG
    IMG_8960.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 554
  • IMG_8961.JPG
    IMG_8961.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 314
  • IMG_8963.JPG
    IMG_8963.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 259
  • IMG_8964.JPG
    IMG_8964.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 279
Greetings all,

I thought there used to be a thread here under the title "the cap faction" but for some reason I can't find it even when I search for it. Maybe someone can move this is there's a more appropriate thread for it to be in.

Anyway, I have two Irish caps that I bought from Ebay. One is a Jonathan Richards Motoring Cap. I am familiar with that brand, but was wondering if this specific cap is vintage. The label is one that I haven't seen before and the plastic over it gives me the idea that it's not a recent cap.

The second cap I'm attaching photos of is made by a company called An Cruac. I've never heard of this company before. I know in Gaelic "cruach" with an h means hill or mound but I'm not sure if the name of this company is a variation on that. The label looks very worn as does the rest of the inside of the cap. This one I'm also wondering if it's vintage, but also wondering if anyone has any information regarding this "An Cruac" brand. Whether it was specifically a hat and cap company, or whether it made outdoor/hunting attire or something like that. It's a mystery to me, and I'd really love help solving it.

I'm also attaching some pics of me wearing the caps. I'm not sure if those would be at all helpful but just thought I'd include them. I know sometimes vintage caps have a different look or sit differently on the head than more contemporary caps so I thought maybe including them might be helpful. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/what-cap-are-you-wearing-today.81136/page-98

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-cap-faction.23684/page-412

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ