Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Irish Loungers?

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
For those of you in Ireland, I'm looking for suggestions on what to request when my mother-in-law visits next week. She's asking what we'd like bringing over, and really, I don't need loads of chocolate.
I am a fan of specialty liqueurs and such, though. What tasty alcoholic treats might one find in an Irish off-licence? Any of the aforementioned violet concoctions? Absinthe?

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
What, you mean like tea towels and tablecloths? Things I'd have to wash and care for? Wouldn't drinks be easier?

I could also ask for Waterford crystal but a. it's out of her price range, and b. who'd polish the stuff? ;)

Boodles

A-List Customer
There is a least one other thing the Irish do well.

Tomasso said:
Linen. That's one thing the Irish do well. ;)
Whiskey is another thing which I think the Irish do quite well. Try the shop at Bushmills for some bottlings which are all but impossible to find in the US. Then, down south there is Midleton. Most excellent.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Things from Oirland..

Things like Bushmills, Jamesons, Midletons..you can get in the USA. Unless you were thinking of getting some in Duty Free? Liquors like Sheridans and Baillys again will be on the export market to the USA.

So what great things in Ireland can't you get in the USA that can travel...

Well if customs and security allow (need to check this), things like Potatoe Bread and Wheaten Bread are gorgeous, very Irish and for the short air times, would be okay to travel (as long as food stuffs are okay, into the US).

What about a pot of living Shamrock to plant in your garden? Or a lovely woven Irish shawl? nice for winter nights.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
What about Belleek?
It's a fine parian china most often seen with little pale shamrocks on it. I have several including a tea pot, sugar/creamer set, serving platter, biscuit jar and a lot of little knicknacks.

Also, there's Galway Irish Crystal.
Not as pricey as Waterford but still lovely. I know they make fabulous beer tankards in cut crystal because I used mine 24/7 until the cat knocked it down and broke it. My good stemware is Galway. :)

edit: I don't mean I drank beer 24/7...I used it for water! No, seriously, I DID!
Galway may also have parfum bottles which would be nice to display a favorite vintage fragrance.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
List of products allowed and not allowed.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing/agri_prod_inus.xml

and unless you buy it in duty free....

Alcoholic BeveragesOne liter (33.8 fl. oz.) of alcoholic beverages may be included in your exemption if:

* You are 21 years old.
* It is for your own use or as a gift.
* It does not violate the laws of the state in which you arrive.

Federal regulations allow you to bring back more than one liter of alcoholic beverage for personal use, but, as with extra tobacco, you will have to pay duty and Internal Revenue Service tax.

For one litre its almost erm not worth having them carry it...for more they would have to pay duty....

all from http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/paying_duty.xml

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Hmm, many things to consider.
Last time they came they brought a bottle of homemade potcheen! That was sometime before 9/11, so I wouldn't expect them to try that trick again. ;)

Boodles

A-List Customer
Yes, Donegal Tweed.

wildturkey8 said:
Donegal Tweed. The best.

In Donegal, near the center of town, is shop of Magee. It's loaded with Donegal tweed and very nice folks. There is also the shop of Kevin & Howlin in Dublin. There must exist dozens of stores like these.

jwalls

Vendor
rkwilker said:
Red Breast Whisky.....have them bring me some as well. Thanks ever so much. ;)
Who said "God created whiskey so the Irish wouldn't rule the world" ?:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

Atinkerer

One of the Regulars
Ask for any "Pure Pot Still" whiskey. Only Redbreast, Green Spot (which is sold only through Mitchell and Son vintners in Dublin), and some premium Jameson brands are pure pot still whiskies. All of these are distilled at Midleton.

I know Red breast is also available in the USA. I'm not sure if any the others are sold in the USA at all.

Tony

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Hi ThesFlishThngs,

There's a great shop on Nassau street in Dublin where you can get traditional Irish woolen and linen throws, sweaters, caps etc. It's opposite Trinity College. I think the items they sell are great quality, uniquely Irish and reasonably priced.

In that locality there are two pipe tobacco stores on College Green where you can get Irish made pipes (Petersons) and "Dublin" blend pipe tobacco. ;)

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
If you want to get unique Irish (single malt) whisky ("whiskey" as we spell it ;)) then there is a great specialty store at the top of Dawson street that has a wide range of hard to find bottles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo