Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Iron Rangers or Wolverine 1000mi?

Hey Guys,
I'm looking for a pair of boots in Brown.
I have the Wolverine Krause in black and like the fit, but the shape seems a little dressy for everyday (pointier toe shape).
I'm contemplating a pair of the Iron Rangers for brown. Does anyone have both Wolverine and RedWing for a good comparison?
I know the IRs are more of a work boot casual style, but I'm interested in your opinions.
Thanks!

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Semi Dress :D ;)

Between the two, I'd go for IRs as well. I prefer the stitching and toe pattern on them over the 1Ks

Also, off of what ZHZ says above, I'm pretty sure 1Ks are manufactured by Allen Edmonds which would reinforce the "casual boot" point

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
I have a pair of the Wolverines and while they are a great looking boot with chinos or some similar semi dress trousers, I find then a little narrow in the toe for regular jeans. Just person preference I suppose.

zhz

Practically Family
Semi Dress :D ;)

Between the two, I'd go for IRs as well. I prefer the stitching and toe pattern on them over the 1Ks

Also, off of what ZHZ says above, I'm pretty sure 1Ks are manufactured by Allen Edmonds which would reinforce the "casual boot" point

Semi dress is the best. I am planning to get one in the future...

LouisBailie

Banned
IRs are an attempted copy of these type of boots, WWII officers and RRL Bowery and as always copies are of lower quality materials and construction.

moto_0726.jpg
moto_0730.jpg

L WWII R RRL Bowery

either one of those are heavier duty and better quality than IR or anything Red Wing makes.

Then there are these, the White's type offering, again quantum times better.

moto_0732.jpg
moto_0733.jpg
moto_0734.jpg
moto_0735.jpg

You may also want to consider, Ron Ryder fine boots, Trickers, Herring, and Loake depending on your price range.

nabottle

A-List Customer
I have both. I tend to wear the IRs more as a "Go To" boot on a regular basis. The Wolverines seem a tad more dressy, but I feel the comfort and quality are on par with one another.

^^^ thanks for that insight. My feeling is to keep the black 1000mi for the slacks, and do the IR's with the jeans.

Damo

A-List Customer
Recently got a pair of the Hawthorne Muleskinner and they look great with jeans!! Don't have a pair of 1000mi but you won't go wrong with the IR's and its always nice to have boots from different manufacturers.

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
I have several Red Wing Heritage Boots and one pair of Wolverine 1000Mile boots (Addison wing tips in tan). The Red Wings, especially my two Iron Rangers and one pair of 877s are my go-to boots, usually worn while riding motorcycles, with jeans, canvas pants, etc. Might be getting another IR in a different color, and an 875 as well, or maybe a Thorogood Moc Toe, let's see ... I need to put grippier rubber sole on the smooth leather bottoms of the Wolverine, will probably wear it more often then.

And yes, the shape of the Wolverine - especially since mine is the Addison wing tips - and what looks like better-quality leather quality sees me wear these in less outdoorsy/riding situations, compared to the RWs.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Got IR's and Beckmans from Redwing shop in Houston ... and 1000 milers from the Allen Edmunds Outklet store in Charleston. The IR's are superbly comfy, 1000 milers next and Beckmans 3rd. IR's are "jeans only" boots for me, the 1000 milers and the Beckmans are jeans and chinos wear.

If I was buying jean boots I'd go IR's every time ... 1/2 size large and thick socks :)

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
Got IR's and Beckmans from Redwing shop in Houston ... and 1000 milers from the Allen Edmunds Outklet store in Charleston. The IR's are superbly comfy, 1000 milers next and Beckmans 3rd. IR's are "jeans only" boots for me, the 1000 milers and the Beckmans are jeans and chinos wear.

If I was buying jean boots I'd go IR's every time ... 1/2 size large and thick socks :)

Picked up a pair of Red Wing's for Brooks Brothers in Bison last week. Pretty much look like Beckmans. Half size larger, perfect with thick socks in the winter. Wore them for the third time today, and very happy.

Last edited:

trapp

Practically Family
I've owned both the IR and the wolverine 1000 plain toe boots. In my opinion, the Wolverines only look dressy if you size down a full size, which some people do. Then, on my feet at least, they look oddly "dainty."

On the other hand, the Wolves look and feel fantastic if I only go down only 1/2 size (they do run large) and insert a superfeet insole. The boots don't have much of a footbed and, in my opinion, benefit in every way from a good insole. They look and feel better and can be paired with anything - I always wear with jeans. The IR's are nice too, definately more of a work-boot vibe with a wide last and bulbous toe.

When deciding, you might think about the fact that the Wolves have a leather sole and the IR's have a composite / cork sole. In rain, the IR's make a much better boot, and I found the IR's in the rough-out leather to be a great foul-weather boot in general (note it doesn't snow where I live).

The two are pretty distinct from one another and not redundant - you could easily own both boots.

FarWalker

New in Town
I have a pair of Beckman's and a pair of IRs. I have literally worn the latter in war zones. They are very comfortable boots that break in easily. If you live in a place where it rains or snows, beware that the IR soles leave much to be desired. They have almost no grip on ice or even on wet tile or marble. In my view, the Beckmans are much better made: leather lined with a commando sole, and the leather looks really great even after years of wear. Mine still hold a shine after about four years, though they are by no means dressy.

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
I've owned both the IR and the wolverine 1000 plain toe boots. In my opinion, the Wolverines only look dressy if you size down a full size, which some people do. Then, on my feet at least, they look oddly "dainty."

On the other hand, the Wolves look and feel fantastic if I only go down only 1/2 size (they do run large) and insert a superfeet insole. The boots don't have much of a footbed and, in my opinion, benefit in every way from a good insole. They look and feel better and can be paired with anything - I always wear with jeans. The IR's are nice too, definately more of a work-boot vibe with a wide last and bulbous toe.

Good point! I went the full-size-down route with the Wolverine and they definitely look more dressy and dare I say, "dainty" on my feet when compared against my Red Wing IRs and Beckmans. Should've gone half-size-down and worn in-soles ... oh well ...

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
IRs are an attempted copy of these type of boots, WWII officers and RRL Bowery and as always copies are of lower quality materials and construction.
L WWII R RRL Bowery

either one of those are heavier duty and better quality than IR or anything Red Wing makes.
The first point is obviously wrong since RW exist far far longer than RRL. I can assure you they are not just a bootleg brand. They have their own history and are certainly not bad by all means.
For the second point (the quality) I can't compare them since I am not rich and thus didn't spend a few thousands on work boots which still strikes me as odd. Yes, I agree they look good and all. But the belittling in the comments is something I would expect between Rolex collectors and not work boot wearers. Seriously.

I wish now that I'd sized down only 1/2 for the Wolverines and used an insole. I totally understand what you're saying Trapp.
Mine feel right, but look a little "small/ dainty" as you put it- even though the Krause run slightly wider. I actually have a pair of the cap toe McCleans, and the "daintiness" is what is making me consider IR's.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo