Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Iron Rangers or Wolverine 1000mi?

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I sent my Wolverine 1000's to Brian the Bootmaker. He is going to put on a double leather sole and a slightly curved heel. I'll post pics when they arrive.

FarWalker

New in Town
For your viewing pleasure, here are my current two pairs of Red Wings. I love them both.

Iron Rangers. They break in more quickly, don't weigh as much as the Beckmans and are a bit more fashion-forward. They do fine with jeans but look off with anything dressier. Like I said above, the soles leave much to be desired if you are looking for an all-purpose boot since they slip on wet surfaces. These are about four years old. I have worn them a ton and they are about as comfortable as an old pair of sneakers, though of course tougher and still waterproof. The soles are pretty worn and I haven't gotten them redone because I not sure how much longer the uppers will last. There are some pretty deep cracks across the top. I treat them now and then with mink oil.
IMG_2369_zps3f154ee0.jpg

IMG_2370_zps286ecbd4.jpg

IMG_2371_zps47a46d45.jpg

And these are the Beckmans, aka Gentleman Travelers. Now days, I wear these much more than the IRs, on trips and if the office on casual days. These took longer to break in, but I now consider them the best shoes I have ever owned. They are completely molded to my feet, the leather has held up and looks good even as the soles have worn out. I sent them back to Red Wing a few months ago to get them resoled after about 3 years of nearly continuous wear. I hit them with mink oil maybe twice a year and polish them now and then. If I had to drop more money on only one pair, it would be these, as they have many years left in them, while the Iron Rangers are pretty trashed.
IMG_2373_zps1e222045.jpg

IMG_2374_zps2e33c110.jpg

IMG_2375_zpsd440a9cd.jpg

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
^^^ FarWalker, great write up and photos! Thanks for sharing. My Beckmans took forever to break in too, way longer than my Iron Rangers, which didn't need much, if any breaking in. I really like the looks of the Beckman but have been a bit hesitant to get another pair due to the long & painful break-in process of my first pair. But if they last as long as yours and look good doing so, I just might go for that tan pair I've been eyeing for a while now! :)

I've always thought the Red Wing has the soles of the Beckmans & the Iron Rangers switched. Seems to me, the lugged soles go more with the cap toe of the IR & the sole of the IR goes better with cleaner look of the Beckmans. JMHO but if the Beckmans had the same sole as the IR, I've bought them instead of the IR. My IR's took some breaking in & I'm wrestling with the idea of a pair of Beckmans...really like the non-cap toe look.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I've always thought the Red Wing has the soles of the Beckmans & the Iron Rangers switched. Seems to me, the lugged soles go more with the cap toe of the IR & the sole of the IR goes better with cleaner look of the Beckmans. JMHO but if the Beckmans had the same sole as the IR, I've bought them instead of the IR. My IR's took some breaking in & I'm wrestling with the idea of a pair of Beckmans...really like the non-cap toe look.

Never thought of that, but you're right.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Ok, I tried them both on, and I prefer the look of the Beckmans. But the IRs fit better....
Hmmmmmm.

Does the color come into play or do you have options you're happy with in both? Breaking in a couple pair of Beckmans now, Black cherry and
Chestnut. The Chestnut I hit with some oil to give them a more aged appearance right away.

IMG_4784.JPG

trapp

Practically Family
The Beckmans are one of my favorite all-time boots. I love the way they look once they break in. There are better made boots out there, but in terms of value, the Beckmans can't be beat.

I've had plenty of custom boots, some of which I've sold off, others which I love and will always wear, but I continue to enjoy Beckmans. I suspect I'll never move on from them. They're versatile, comfortable, and just so grab-and-go.

In general, I think both the Beckmans and the Wolverine 1000 mile boots occupy a place in the boot world that I've really learned to appreciate - good quality off-the-shelf boots that are welted, have nice leather, and embody (to me at least) a casual handsome shoe that almost anyone can reach. They're the quintessential sensible purchase. I even suspect I make more sensible decisions when I wear them :)

pawineguy

One Too Many
The Beckmans are one of my favorite all-time boots. I love the way they look once they break in. There are better made boots out there, but in terms of value, the Beckmans can't be beat.

I've had plenty of custom boots, some of which I've sold off, others which I love and will always wear, but I continue to enjoy Beckmans. I suspect I'll never move on from them. They're versatile, comfortable, and just so grab-and-go.

In general, I think both the Beckmans and the Wolverine 1000 mile boots occupy a place in the boot world that I've really learned to appreciate - good quality off-the-shelf boots that are welted, have nice leather, and embody (to me at least) a casual handsome shoe that almost anyone can reach. They're the quintessential sensible purchase. I even suspect I make more sensible decisions when I wear them :)

+1, the Beckman fits me well, so given the construction at that price point, I can grab two pair for every pair of higher end boots I purchase. (and I've bought my share of those) If I need another pair I can go on Amazon or Zappos and have them on my feet the next day.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Welp, I've RedWing custom Becks and Wolvie 1000 milers. On the whole I prefer the Wolvies. They just plain fit my feet better. They've a higher arch and are more comfortable all way round. I had to get the RedWings stretched to accomodate my high arch. All I had to do with the wolverines is wear em.

Worf

FarWalker

New in Town
Both my IRs and Beckmans are size 9, which is at least a half size smaller than my size in any other shoe (I bought some new Nike running shoes the other day, size 10.5, for example). My other other advice would be to make sure they really fit before you start that break in process. My first pair of Beckmans were 9.5 and I was so in love with them that it took me months to acknowledge that they were too long. They were chestnut, which is a great color, but I found that if they got scuffed, oiling them would leave the scuffs much darker. I never found a way to get a more or less uniform color back.

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
I just came across Chippewa's boots recently. What's the consensus quality-wise with regard to RW or 1km? I do like the Beckman's as well...

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Well I've Chipps, Becks and Wolvies. The Chipps are a slight, very slight, notch below the fit and finish of the others. BUT I feel real comfortable working in the Chipps in the field, not so with the other two.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran