Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Iron Rangers or Wolverine 1000mi?

thor

Call Me a Cab
Well I've Chipps, Becks and Wolvies. The Chipps are a slight, very slight, notch below the fit and finish of the others. BUT I feel real comfortable working in the Chipps in the field, not so with the other two.

Worf
Completely agree with you Worf (and happy new year to you, ol' buddy!). I have Chippewas, Beckmans and 1000 Mile Wolverines. All are very good, but the Wolves were comfy right out of the box and IMHO just seem a bit higher quality (fit and finish-wise).
I did try on the IR's at a store in NYC and almost pulled the trigger, but the Beckmans got the nod because of their more rugged soles.

Last edited:
I liked the look of my Clarks Roar boots, and the Beckmans seem to have a similar vibe. Too bad the Clarks fell apart.

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Well I've Chipps, Becks and Wolvies. The Chipps are a slight, very slight, notch below the fit and finish of the others. BUT I feel real comfortable working in the Chipps in the field, not so with the other two.

Worf
I currently only have the IR and I tried on the 1km once. The IR are rugged and all, but not too comfortable without a cushion-sole in them and thick socks on. The make is ok, one patch, the toe-cap left is cut uneven. I guess I give the Chippewas a chance, I understand the "service-boot" has a comfort sole inside. And it looks cool.:cool: The Wolverines are nice but too expensive here in Germany at 400 €. I also heared they don't hold up too good, is that true?

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just came across Chippewa's boots recently. What's the consensus quality-wise with regard to RW or 1km? I do like the Beckman's as well...

I got RW Beckmans and iron works boots from LL Bean. Those are being made by Chippewa I was told and look more like iron rangers with the cap toe and all. The leather of the Beckmans looks better but the Chippewa boots are more comfortable. I like them both and would buy both again if I'd find a good deal.

GregO

One of the Regulars
I have 3 pairs of IRs. As should be obvious, I love the boots. I have Amber, mule skinner and just picked up the new charcoal. Easy break in, and super comfy. For those that say they aren't comfortable, it might have more to do with fit than the boot itself. Can't go wrong with IRs in my opinion. The only downside to them is that they have horrible traction in snow or on icy walks.

jerseyboy

New in Town
I made this note on another thread. Try the chippewa 6" lug sole apache. About 180.00 bucks They fit good , look good and you can use them in the field. Every year they are snosealed and the water runs right off them. Even during hurricane sandy!

tonypaj

Practically Family
I have 3 pairs of IRs. As should be obvious, I love the boots. I have Amber, mule skinner and just picked up the new charcoal. Easy break in, and super comfy. For those that say they aren't comfortable, it might have more to do with fit than the boot itself. Can't go wrong with IRs in my opinion. The only downside to them is that they have horrible traction in snow or on icy walks.

Bought the charcoal ones, however I cannot quite figure out what they go with apart from jeans. Chinos, I don't know. Handymike, charcoal is sort of black, but oiled, not polished, contrast sticking, brownish undertones. First I thought they were black...

tonypaj

Practically Family
Well, I also have Beckmans, and like everyone here says, it took time to break them in. Just walked in NYC all day in sleet and rain wearing them. No problems, very comfortable. Tomorrow IR time, just rain, I guess. They have been comfortable right out of the box. Never tried Wolverines.

I just got my first pair of iron rangers a week ago. So far so good. I have three other pairs of Red Wings, 877,875,& 8166, but all have the white crepe wedge sole. Amazingly comfortable, but not the most durable. Thought I'd try the I.R.s because (a) they look awesome, and (b) hopefully the soles will hold up a little longer. If nothing else, I like how they have a separate heel, which I am rough on, and when it gets worn down I can have just the heel replaced instead of the whole sole.

konadog

Practically Family
iron rangers are great boots, especially with jeans. boots really depend on your pants. for narrower hems, the 1000 mile would be more appropriate. for moderate hems, the ir's or white's semi dress or rw beckmans. for wider hems, the 875s are great.

or if you want to step it up a bit, look into Trickers, Crockett & Jones, or Alden.

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Well, my point about the IR is that for me, they are very hard to walk in without a cushion-sole at least at the heel and thick socks. Then they are nice, though. I think this is due to the fact that the boots aren't lined and have no insole to speak of. The Beckmans are a more comfortable boot, if I'm not mistaken, as are the Chippewas. I'll try them I guess.:)

Pat Spade

Familiar Face
Hi there,
well, I`ve got both, IR`s and 1KM, along with a pair of RW Moc Toes and a hole bunch other work-wear or service boots. Never had any trouble with the Iron Rangers. They were fine from day one. The Wolverine took a little while, well not for breaking in, that was no problem too, but to get used to the more narrow look of the them. At least I like them both and am glad to have them. BUT the outstandig and best pair in my collection are my custom made William Lennon boots....: 30ies style service boots, 6 eyelet, captoes, double sole, black HH, brass hardware....where including postage at around 250 Euros...

So, my Beckmans arrived yesterday... ******, they're too big, but a good boot.
I like the weight and look of them. The soles are good looking and sturdier than my Wolverines.
If anyone wears a 10.5, I'm going to put them in the classifieds to recoup my cost.
Then I'll go back to a store to get the sizing right next time.

Last edited:

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
So, my Beckmans arrived yesterday... ******, they're too big, but a good boot.
I like the weight and look of them. The soles are good looking and sturdier than my Wolverines.
If anyone wears a 10.5, I'm going to put them in the classifieds to recoup my cost.
Then I'll go back to a store to get the sizing right next time.

I'm a solid 10.5 and wear a 10 in the Beckman with room for an insole. It's a great boot. It isn't the same build quality of White's, but you can get it pretty cheap and it looks great. I get more compliments on that boot than any boot I wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy