Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Irvin Flying Jacket – Original WW2 issued size 6

Kunja

Practically Family
For sale is an authentic WW2 issued Irvin sheepskin flying jacket, probably later war, in a rare large size 6.

I purchased this about a year ago as a gift for my father for winter driving in his convertible, but he chose another coat from my collection instead. I’ve worn this a few times, its in just amazingly good shape for its age. All of the zippers are original and are marked Lightning and AM, and all work flawlessly. The original escape whistle is still present and the elastic on the rear collar is still intact and flexible; both of which seems to be very rare. There are no holes, odors, flaking, etc. this jacket is intact, supple and ready to go.

This is marked a size 6 and is listed for a man 5’11-6’1 with a 40-42 chest. Actual measurements are 23-24 chest, 25 sleeves, 20-21 shoulder, 26 collar seam to bottom in back. In the fit photo, I am 6’ and 175 lbs, 24 waist and generally wear a 42 jacket. This fits great and has some room to layer a thick sweater underneath.

I’d guess there are not many original Irvin jackets in this size and condition left. Asking $1000 plus shipping, PP/FF.

Thanks for looking and questions welcomed.

irvin-size6-kunja-1.jpg
irvin-size6-kunja-8.jpg
irvin-size6-kunja-10.jpg
irvin-size6-kunja-2.jpg
irvin-size6-kunja-3.jpg
irvin-size6-kunja-4.jpg
irvin-size6-kunja-5.jpg
irvin-size6-kunja-6.jpg

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Im no expert, but would this be considered a " Devon Fleece" ? just looking at the length and curly nature of the interior it must be.. This must be a fairly rare and therefore desirable jacket...you may want a true valuation before selling

Kuro

Practically Family
Many of the details are amazing. I have enjoyed looking at these pictures!

Kunja

Practically Family
Thanks Kuro, its an amazing jacket. I'm glad to have been able to capture some of the details for the record here, and its been a privileged to have in my possession for the past year or so. Its really something to think this flew against the Nazis 80 years ago.

Johnf

New in Town
You Jacket is a Mid war Devon fleece in a good size and in amazing condition. Its so wearable even after 80 years. The fit on You is perfect. I have to "make do" with repos as im a fat old man. very envious!

Kunja

Practically Family
This one sold a year or so ago, and I'm somewhat regretful as I know I'll never see another like it. But it didn't get any wear with me. It just doesn't get cold enough where I live, and frankly its a tool, not a fashion item. What a cool jacket though. Amazing to put it on and think of where its been. Not many like this left I think. Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot