Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Septimus

New in Town
pockets on irvins ! what for?

I personally own an elc irvin repro(the 1940 s pattern)and wear it every day,maybe it is not the most easy to wear of my jackets but be sure about one thing when you are wearing that jacket ,ladies look at you and they don't care about pockets.wearing irvins is a life style.

Danny Wilson

New in Town
WWII Irvin

PADDY said:
As you can get an original for at least the same price, if not substantially cheaper, and that's even through a retailer, not Ebay.

For example, I came across this sweet little number in a size 44", all sound, for only ?Ǭ£350 (uk pounds), when a repro can set you back between ?Ǭ£400 and ?Ǭ£500 (uk pounds)...!!! You can wear a piece of history for less, so root around (this one is on the AeroLeather website), and look at what they might have on Ebay too (although you take your chances with what you get coming through your post on Ebay).

Hi Paddy,

I was hoping you (or someone else) might have a tip on where I can find an original Irvin? Love the look of yours!
I have seen some for sale on www.aeroleather.com and ebay, do you know of any other sources?
I have an ELC A2 in a size 42", would you say that a WWII Irvin 42" would be the right size for me?

All the best,

Danny

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
'Irvin' sizes

MDFrench said:
Paddy... I am 6'3. Sadly, there is no authentic Irvin that would fit me...

Mike

Mike,

Not so! If you look at WD BD sizes you will see that wartime standard sizes 16-18 covered up to 6' 2". Since Irvin suits were meant to be worn over BD or Dress Uniform they are cut generously, especially in the arm length. I have seen several Irvins for sale recently that would easily fit a 6' 3" tall 44" chest (size 8 is the biggest*). Aero leathers had one on their website.

* (Irvin sizes are different to BD sizes)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Never rule Aero out on the Irvins...

And if I were you, I'd keep an eye out on new developments regarding the Aero Irvin, as it's going to get better and better by the looks of things, according to latest intel reports. So watch the space...

Just to wet your appetite, the photo (below) is the current model 1941/42 Irvin by Aero (don't let the aircrew model put you off!) and for the money, it's a pretty good deal of a repro!.

Cobden

Practically Family
Joining the TFL Irvin wearer's club! (photos)

Just got myself an original Irvin off ebay (assuming it arrives intact); the yellow hooded type issued to coastal command and, even better, the Fleet Air Arm!

And, due to it's and my small size, I got it for a bargain!

Now, Mr Postman, you'd better hurry!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Irvin...

Which Ebay number is it and we can all have a peek in the meantime!! Once you get it, we want a kit inspection please with pics!!! :)

grant

Familiar Face
Congratulations on getting an Irvin. i've managed to collect a couple of them over the years and am always amazed how warm they are. Here's a couple photos of one mine - original owner was with the RCAF.
HumefrontIII.jpg

HumebackII.jpg

Paddy has a nice original as well as an ELC Irvin I believe.
Grant

Cobden

Practically Family
Here she is!

Oh, and thanks BK for not bidding!

I must admit to have used the "complete git" tactic of waiting till the final thirty seconds to put a bid in (and thus watching it for about an hour!); but sometimes one can't be nice!

That's a rather Splendid Irvin you've got yourself, Grant. Is the name original?

Cobden

Practically Family
Really? Another one? Crikey! The ASR/Coastal Command/FAA yellow hooded one's are scarce as rocking horse poo!

Although, for some reason, they do tend to be cheaper than the other types; must be because people don't like dayglo yellow hoods...

Anyway, next on the list: repro Irvin!

Best start saving!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hard to beat the vintage feel of an Irvin flying jacket!

To me, it symbolises the Bull-Dog spirit of the RAF during those dark years of 1940 (Battle of Britain), when a little island stood alone against the seemingly unstoppable might of the German Luftwaffe and the greatest army that part of the 20th Century had ever seen!
It also symbolises the continuous, nerve straining missions by RAF Bomber Command, night-after-night, wave-after-wave.
It symbolises young, care free men in open topped sports car with the wind and freedom in their faces!
It symbolises a bygone golden age that we here strive to keep alive.

You've just joined a very exclusive, but snappy looking club at TFL now!! The TFL Irvin Owners Club!!

Nice jacket Cobden, it won't be your last!!

ORIGINAL 1941 IRVIN (made by Irvin AirChute)
NORMANDY-BEACHES055.jpg

EASTMAN (ELC) IRVIN
flyingboots002.jpg

[EASTMAN (ELC) IRVIN
EastmanIrvin008.jpg

Marv

A-List Customer
Best Irvin repro

Hi chaps,
Was just wondering which of the Irvin repros available would you consider the most authentic and why........photos would be good if poss.:)

DiabolicalAngel

One of the Regulars
Eastmans make two nice Irvins. The 1940 Battle of Britain looks great but the 1942 Vintage finish is awesome. The belts on the Eastman use black ring eyelets which is down to personal preference but I am not too keen on as opposed to the Aero Leather's version. Both makes are both nice in my opinion, Just my two cents worth......:)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Marv...thinking of joining the TFL IRVIN OWNERS CLUB then?

Have a read through the threads here, as there is heaps of information and photos to help you along. Then tell us what you think you might be leaning towards, and why?
What sort of look are you after anyway? and WHY the Irvin in particular, why of all the great jackets out there, THIS ONE is calling you??

DiabolicalAngel

One of the Regulars
I'll dodge this thread but it makes interesting reading. I am just into A-2's, and nothing else in reality. The only 'heavy' jacket I would go for is a B-3 in the two tone, which would appeal to me most if I went down that avenue. Unfortunately the RAF does nothing for me but anything AAF ...yes ! ;)

Give me a CBI modified mouton collar with alapaca lining A-2 anyday !!:p

Cheers !!

Marv

A-List Customer
I currently own a Aviation leathercraft Irvin which I purchased about 3 years ago long before I was aware of the other manufactures like Eastman & Aero but I must say the jacket has been superb, well made and very warm also it has that dark seal colour which may not have been that authentic but I just love that shade, the darker the better for me.
Not sure how it stands up against the Eastman and Aero repros but hey you have to start somewhere I guess.
At the time I was on the look out for an original, looking mainly on ebay but struggled to find one in my size 44" reg so I went for a newbie.
I may invest in another at somepoint but it would be interesting to here opinions of the Aviation jacket from owners just as a matter of interest though.
As for why the Irvin, well it was a symbol of good old british spirit and toughness, never give up and all, something that doesn't seem to exist anymore in the UK plus that fact when I was younger I remember seeing pictures of my uncle in his Irvin just after he came back from Canada after completing his flight training (Hurricanes I think) at the Air Crew Dispersal Centre at RAF Heaton Park waiting to be posted.....unfortunately the war ended before he could properly do his bit.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Aviation Leathercraft Irvin

They seem to come up because they have bought the trading rights to using the IRVIN name. That's the most authentic thing about them. But depends if you want a 'lookalike' jacket or just a functional sheepskin (which they are, and damn warm too!! hence many open cockpit pilots use them!!).
But the jacket is more of a high street/mall type jacket in looks. Often you see them with the extra pockets sewn into the front (Originals never had pockets). The zips are chunky modern ones and bear no resemblance to originals or the repros that ELC or Aero might use.
Also the fleece trim around the cuffs and waist is just too thick/too big.
All in all, they don't hold their value on the second hand market. That's why they make a great buy on the used market, especially an old beat up one. Then just change the zips and send it to Aero or Eastmans to get the bits and bobs put on.
Aero recently sold a nearly new one for £125, so that's the sort of price they are going for second hand. Don't pay any more guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy