Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I was a little torn about whether to post this here or in Spitfire's "War Portraits" thread in the WWII section. In the end here won as the Irvin boys always appreciate a good pic with an Irvin!

This is Hilly Brown from 1 Sqn. Notice that he appears to be a "turner-upper" of his sleeves, just like his mate from 1 Sqn, Killy Kilmartin...

brown2.jpg

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Portraits

Great shot Tim. I squirmed a bit about the loss rate you posted earlier, but I
guess this was probably par for the course. Surviving the war flying in Bomber Command was only around a 50-50 probability - not good.

Windsock

A-List Customer
Been away for a few days with the family chasing some cold weather- unfortunately couldn't find any. I packed both an A-2 and Irvin expecting good usage and went as inland and as high as I could manage in a 3 day trip but with negligible results. :mad:

Great posts everyone, I love all these shots, particularly the North african ones. I will add a couple soon given to me by a friend who flew there.

As a complete aside, I was also wondering, haven't seen a post from Alan E for a while... is he ok?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Haven't seen him for awhile. Perhaps he's gone south to soak up the sun for a few weeks after the English winter?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A few images to show how a 12-year-old Eastman wears...

The leather is crackling ever so slightly and developing a beautiful patina just through honest wear over a 12 year period. I've used this the last few summers as a workhorse over winters out in the garden and shed and walking the dogs. Not sure if the camera does this justice, but still felt it was worth trying to share how nicely this leather wears over time!

nicky boy

New in Town
Hello all,

I'm new here and I was wondering if any of you knowledgeable chaps could help me with this.

I need a new zip for my old 60s Irvin copy and spotted this on eBay:

'WW2 zip'

I'm not sure whether to bid on it because from the description...

I have opened it from top down to bottom, no problem, have opened bottom fastener upwards towards centre, label says 'fasteners slide, with two slides opening towards centre,27" ' Haven't worked out how to separate the two halves, and don't want to force anything.

... I'm not convinced it is for an Irvin, or indeed, any kind of jacket. How would it work? Anyone out there able to help a novice out?

Thanks.

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
Almost without a doubt those look to be Flash Fastener zips. I used to have a couple of those with the pattern papers and wax stamps but I sold them off, and they also had a blue coloured tape. Im not sure how useful these would be for a flying jacket, the tape is the right colour but if it is two on one track, it could be meant for a flying suit. Interesting zips though, I'll keep an eye on them.

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
photos

Windsock said:
I was about to say something similar- must ask, where are these from? They are very clear shots.

Hi Andrew, the first photo I posted (with the Wellington) was an image I had saved from some time ago. But I had another trawl on Google and re-found where it was from - I should have posted the link for you, as there are many excellent photos here - I'm sure you'll enjoy seeing them. I guess that the strong sunlight helps a lot with the clarity, but you'll know a lot more about this than me!

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...channel=s&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=G

Sorry, should add, scroll down until you see 'stop press:April 2005'

Mike1973

A-List Customer
packing an Irvin up...

Right, slight change of subject! I've just sold the tidy Irvin I got of Andrew in 2006, soon to be heading off to a new home in Australia! I just wondered how best to pack it for it's long journey...

At the moment it's zipped up in a clear suit bag, and placed in a thin cardboard box... I think it should be fine, but I may add some bubblewrap..

Anything else I should do? It's going via parcelforce, insured up to £500.

Cheers, I want to make sure the new owner gets it in one peice!

MikesCoat_2.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Sounds good Mike. Definitely throw some bubble-wrap around it as well, it will help.

Congrats on the sale and all the way to Aussie you say...Andrew did you splash out on another Irvin? ;)

Windsock

A-List Customer
Smithy said:
Sounds good Mike. Definitely throw some bubble-wrap around it as well, it will help.

Congrats on the sale and all the way to Aussie you say...Andrew did you splash out on another Irvin? ;)

I agree on the packing, plus I use the wide clear tape to reinforce the box.

No, it wasn't me, a bit too small and I already have 3 (which is probably 3 too many). I know the reason behind why the winner wanted it though- I sold him a mint pair of 1945 dated Irvin trousers complete with suspenders this time last year. I had no problems with him Mike, he was great to deal with.

There were 5 Don Gunns who served with the RAAF, only one was an Officer in signals, another was in air sea rescue and the others were in OTU's and repair units.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24