Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
They are nice jackets. I've had three of them myself, all well constructed and warm. The zippers have some quality issues, I dont know if Jerry has sorted them yet. The collar is slightly the wrong shape as well. Heres some photos.

P6300470.jpg

P6300472.jpg

P6300475.jpg

P7020467.jpg

This one was probobly the nicest I had of the three in terms of the shearling and leather. Only sold it on because it was a size too big. I dont have any now though, sold the last one on to buy an original.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I guess its supposed to be a "copy" of a late War multi-panel jacket. Shame they couldn't even use an original two panel jacket. There were many available in the '60s which could have been bought cheaply then.

dit dah

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the advice re the WPG jackets.

As a "replacement" you'll forgive me for asking all the naive questions:

Where do I find an original, that doesn't have a flock of circling vultures? Not much on Ebay at present, besides the disappearing and reappearing Mexican number. Are there secret deals to be had within the inner circle?

My very first vintage leather aged 15 was an early Irvin. My best friend "adopted" it and eventually it seized to become mine. I hooked up with him recently via facebook but thought it churlish to wade in with "Hi, how've you been all these years, where's my ************ jacket?" So it's upwards and onwards and perhaps a new jacket to go with my new found forgiveness. Actually, I don't forgive him and if I can get his address I'm organising a recon and possible jacket "exfiltration".

aswatland

dit dah said:
Thanks for the advice re the WPG jackets.

As a "replacement" you'll forgive me for asking all the naive questions:

Where do I find an original, that doesn't have a flock of circling vultures? Not much on Ebay at present, besides the disappearing and reappearing Mexican number. Are there secret deals to be had within the inner circle?

My very first vintage leather aged 15 was an early Irvin. My best friend "adopted" it and eventually it seized to become mine. I hooked up with him recently via facebook but thought it churlish to wade in with "Hi, how've you been all these years, where's my ************ jacket?" So it's upwards and onwards and perhaps a new jacket to go with my new found forgiveness. Actually, I don't forgive him and if I can get his address I'm organising a recon and possible jacket "exfiltration".

Ebay is still the main source of Irvins. I built up my collection of Irvins via Ebay. If you let me know your size I will see what I can do.

dit dah

One of the Regulars
thanks aswatland, you certainly seem to have an eye for wonderful jackets. Your help would be appreciated.

I'm a 40 and would like a jacket that fits pretty snug. If you come across one that you don't want yourself perhaps you could give me a shout.

Thanks

dit dah

One of the Regulars
I've just missed yet another nice looking Irvin on Ebay. Listed, then delisted within 24 hrs. Seller was asking £499 or offers. I offered £350 which he declined. While I was ruminating it must have been sold to someone "off line".

My question is this: Will someone please attempt to set out the values of these jackets, depending on year/ condition etc as a guide for us novices. I despair of getting a good one, and if you are not sure of the going rate it's hard to steam in and be that "off line" buyer.

There's got to be a jacket out there with my name on (now that would be some find!). I'm planning a trip to Stalag 4b next year in honour of my Great Uncle who was interned there courtesy of the Luftwaffe, and I can't very well go in a denim jacket can I!

Help

aswatland

dit dah said:
I've just missed yet another nice looking Irvin on Ebay. Listed, then delisted within 24 hrs. Seller was asking £499 or offers. I offered £350 which he declined. While I was ruminating it must have been sold to someone "off line".

My question is this: Will someone please attempt to set out the values of these jackets, depending on year/ condition etc as a guide for us novices. I despair of getting a good one, and if you are not sure of the going rate it's hard to steam in and be that "off line" buyer.

Help

This is very hard to do as the prices depend on demand. I.e two competing bidders on Ebay can push an Irvin sky high! They also fetch less in the summer than in the winter for obvious reasons. A lot depends on size and condition, with decent large ones commanding premium proces. For my near mint 1938 Irvin (size 6) I paid £1100 two years ago. But I have picked up poorly listed wearable Irvins for under £200 and one for £65 recently which I have respted. My advice is for you to watch several Ebay auctions and get a feel for the prices.

dit dah

One of the Regulars
Thanks again Andrew.

Sound advice.

Out of interest, with so many thousands of airmen downed and imprisoned, what happened to all their jackets? Did they keep them during internment? Were they taken or traded? Is there a vast warehouse somewhere in Germany with the "Stalag Irvins"?

maybe I'll go take a look at ebay.de

aswatland

dit dah said:
Thanks again Andrew.

Sound advice.

Out of interest, with so many thousands of airmen downed and imprisoned, what happened to all their jackets? Did they keep them during internment? Were they taken or traded? Is there a vast warehouse somewhere in Germany with the "Stalag Irvins"?

maybe I'll go take a look at ebay.de

Some were taken by the Germans and you sometimes see pics of Luftwaffe officers wearing them. Others were retained by the prisoners and found their way home. I know there were occasions when aircrew left their Irvins in the UK and they were acquired by their friends when they failed to return from a bombing mission. Now as far as the Irvin warehouse is concerned its location is........

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
I don't know how this will sit, but I reckon around the £500 mark should buy you a good wearable Irvin with no obvious faults. If it is collectable, in that
it has provenance, that increases the value considerably. Larger sizes seem more rare so I imagine these will be slightly more costly too. If a jacket (IMO!) still has it's label, collar strap and hanging chain and zip pullers then this will again command a higher price. It's worth waiting for the right jacket for you, otherwise you will find your 'itch' will soon come back:)

Prices are so extremely variable and unpredictable that it's impossible to tell. The range of completed auctions on my eBay page says £240-£759. But that doesn't include several of them that i've removed which went for £150 or less during the last month or so, one of which i bought.

Prices seem to have climbed again, even for small 'uns.

bk

dit dah

One of the Regulars
ethanedwards you are a wise man. It's so easy to dive in and before you know it you've got 5 or 6 jackets, non of which fit the bill.

I plegde here and now to wait, with good cheer and grace, for my very own Irvin to show itself. I shall not covert another man's Irvin(s).

And I will not place a sniped bid for £1000 in order to fend off the rest of you mercenary collectors lest the final bid be in that vaccinity.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
dit dah said:

Help

You had a lucky escape, in my opinion. Unless it is in really excellent condition with a 'big maker' label and/or provenance to a serviceman (preferably with a well-known action or incident to go along with it) nearly 500 GBP is silly money!

If it was the one I think it was, I have obtained (and disposed of) better jackets for half that price. That site is not the best place to buy wartime jackets.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
aswatland said:
Some were taken by the Germans and you sometimes see pics of Luftwaffe officers wearing them. Others were retained by the prisoners and found their way home. I know there were occasions when aircrew left their Irvins in the UK and they were acquired by their friends when they failed to return from a bombing mission. Now as far as the Irvin warehouse is concerned its location is........

An Irvin suit (actually a DGL) has recently passed from one lounge member to another with no financial consideration involved. Its original owner wasn't wearing it (it hasn't been worn much) when he was shot down over Holland. It passed to another airman who couldn't bear to wear it and kept it in memory of his colleague until he died 50 years later. It was passed to the lounger of the second part (for no financial consideration) and is considered to be a unique item of which the new owner is the custodian. How would you place a value on an item like that?

See further up the thread about reports (e.g. in E.A.W. Smith) of airmen passing their downed colleagues' jackets from one to another, not always as sensitively as in the above situation.

The mythical warehouse (supposed to be full of RAF sheepskin flying gear) actually exists, but don't get too excited... It is (still) on No 4 Site of 16 Maintenance Unit, RAF Stafford, which was from 1938 until recently the main RAF storage facility in the UK. The base certainly contained many items (including flying spares) dating back to WW2 and people who worked there had passed on tales of the jackets/suits in a particular hut.

Last year, however, it was vacated by the RAF (the Army took it over) and a big clearance operation was carried out. Needless to say, I had friends on the base 'keeping watch' for me. Some WW2 and later uniform items emerged, but the hoped-for crates of sheepskin flying did not. Sorry about that...hey, maybe they are somewhere else!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass