Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
ELC 1942 Irvin arrived!

Finally its here! Coincidently the postmans knock on the door came as I was dialing Eastman to obtain the tracking number :lol: . Absolutely incredible jacket, the vintage finish is really well done, very subtle. Fits like a dream. I think my jacket cravings are satisfied for this winter at least :D .

boots005-1.jpg

boots008-1.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
On Cloud Nine with this one...

What a beauty and a great fit, you must be overjoyed with this coming through the post!! Finish looks good too (some close ups would be great!;) ).

***(will keep this up for a few days and then will absorb into the Greater Irvin thread;) ). ***

Enjoy :eusa_clap

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Well done Hawk Eye!

The Eastman Irvins are simply incredible jackets and beautifully made. I lived in mine last winter in Norway and I'm sure you will too in Canada.

Once again, good choice ;)

scottmcl

New in Town
WOW, I am in love with this style....

Is there a version available that has a more blended zipper? One that doesn't contrast so much with the rest of the jacket?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I guesse you'll hear it from all the "Irvin Aces" here: The contrast is what makes it a true Irvin!;)
If you like the style - and do not want the contrasting zipper/tapes, you might try looking at an ALC (Aviation Leather Craft, UK) Irvin.
Here's mine:
L1010833.jpg

scottmcl

New in Town
I can't even come close to affording one of these now. There are some B3's (whatpriceglory) in the $350.00 range, but Irvin's seems to be quite a lot more expensive comparatively.

It will be many year before I can budget one of these jackets. (I am currently a student)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Scottmcl - If you like the Irvin jacket why not go for the WPG Irvin?
About the same price as the WPG A3.

Scroll back to page 42 in this thread, there are some pics of it.
"Contrasting" tapes are not that contrasting either, as you can see.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Pretty Amazing!! 168 Pages of RAF Sheepskin right HERE..!!

Who would have thought there'd be so much interest in the Irvin style RAF sheepskin!! [huh]

Makes you wonder what it's uniqueness and loveability is, and why it's lasted for so damn long as such an iconic garment (?)..[huh]

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Tough question to answere, Paddy.
To me at least the Irvin is THE flying jacket - and has been so ever since my childhood.

Living in Europe - and in a country which was occupied by the nazis - RAF, United Kingdom and Montgomery has a lot of meaning.

My father (who was in the resistance) told me how RAF dropped weapons, explosives etc to them. Just as The Battle of Britain meant a lot to all Europeans in occupied countries. It gave them hope.
We all know that Russia and The United States were in it too - but it was the British who stopped Hitler and it was the British who helped us. And it was the Britsih who liberated us.
(Uhhh - has to step lightly here;) )
At leaste, it made a lot of sense back then - and it still does to this day to me.

I was brought up with stories and tales about RAF, I read the "The Trojan Horse" and "Escape from Colditz" again and again as a teenager.

Just like the Spitfire became the icon of RAF and The Battle of Britain -
The Irvin became the symbol/icon of its pilots.
Of courage against heavy odds. Of The Few.

Besides that, it's a damn nice, warm and practical jacket with lots of swagger!
And built-in-history.:)

Creeping Past

One Too Many
WPG Irvin

I'd be interested to hear the views of anyone with a WPG Irvin. How has your jacket held up over time?

On page 42 of this thread, UKALI mentioned misgivings about zips and buckles. Have these stayed the course?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That ol' Irvin weather again!! bring it on.

Don't you just love it when the weather chills and you bring that big ol' teddy bear of a jacket out again!! Chap came up to me a few days ago and said, "Love your jacket, that's one 'kick ass' jacket!" He probably had no idea 'what' type of jacket it was, but that's neither 'here nor there' as it was the aesthetics of it he liked ;)

1942 ELC (Repro) - good to compare with a few posts up just to see what it will look like in 10 years ;)

EastmanIrvin021.jpg

EastmanIrvin005-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points