Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Irwin

That is on fine looking jacket. The one that I am condsidering is already made and slightly used. Thanks for your help.

Aviakid

New in Town
'W' ZIPS

0aa2_1.jpg

Most collectors I have spoken to have presumed they are civilian, but the few I examined had standard "later war" RAF zips e.g. N's and Lightnings. (Originally posted by Night & the City).

Hi Night & the City, spotted your post today and the W zip, I think this was made by Waldes, a version is still made today by a company in Japan although this may be a repro and yours is certainly one from the past.

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Baron Kurtz said:
Looks great, Mike. Is that the BSA one or the Eardley one?

What's the story of the hat? Very nice.

bk

Hi Baron, This is the BSA Irvin. It definately gets the most wear. The leather is still pretty tough and strong, but also it's so heavily patched I'm not paraniod about damaging it...

Cap is a vintage ebay bargain from last year. About $5 or something silly, the postage to the UK was more than the cap! I posted some pics when I bought it, do a search under 'Utican'. (name in the leather cap band) I've put in a yellow silk lining since then, I may update the thread...

Saw shed loads of sheepsking jackets today! Seems to be de rigueur winter wear amoung classic car enthusiasts! Out of the 30 or so I noticed, maybe 20 were Irvin copies, most with pockets. Noticed a few without pockets though, and definately one original! A very beat up 'Coastal Command', with a cut down yellow hood.

Not Irvin related, but posted my Boxing Day Rally pics here...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=25234&l=3307e&id=729783131

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Are you both OK? :eek: More importantly.... Hows the bike? ;)

My better half can't get on her bike at the mo... (see photo for clue...:eusa_doh: )
jamespibworth@n said:
Great photography!

Your Irvin looks the biz.

We too went on a boxing day run on our 55 AJS motorcycle,
fell off it!! :eusa_doh:

Cheerio

Windsock

A-List Customer
Dambuster Doggie

Take one 1941 Irvin, a pair of '36 boots, second pattern type C, MkVIII's and Type G mask and most importantly one Black Labrador.

We are looking after a friends dog for the week while they're on hols- I couldn't help myself but draft her into service... I must have too much time on my hands.

RIMG0034-Copy-1.jpg

RIMG0020.jpg

Mr Jackson if you'd like to use these pics please contact me first for permission lol

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Windsock said:
Take one 1941 Irvin, a pair of '36 boots, second pattern type C, MkVIII's and Type G mask and most importantly one Black Labrador.

We are looking after a friends dog for the week while they're on hols- I couldn't help myself but draft her into service... I must have too much time on my hands.

RIMG0034-Copy-1.jpg

RIMG0020.jpg

Mr Jackson if you'd like to use these pics please contact me first for permission lol

Extras for a certain movie. What's the dog called?

aswatland

Electrically Wired Irvin

Now here are some pictures of another type of Irvin worn by aircrew at the time of the Dams raids. It is almost certainly a late '30s jacket made by Irvin Air chute. It is a large size, at least a size 5, probably a 6. I have restored it, replaced the ugly plastic YKK main zip with a reclaimed "Dot British zip". One of its owners had sewn various patches on it and the stitch marks are still visible. Nevertheless the sheepskin is very supple and strong. I love the contrasting light russet cowhide facings. The sleeve zips are the single trunnion "Dot made in England" variety and their leather pulls are original.

033-1.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg

040.jpg

038-1.jpg

036-1.jpg

Mike1973

A-List Customer
It's scrubbed up very well Andrew! ;) Wasn't there a small rip from where the patch stitching had weakened the leather? How did you fix it?

Oh, and after seeing the ebay listing I think this jacket should be called the 'Ervin' from now on!!

aswatland said:
Now here are some pictures of another type of Irvin worn by aircrew at the time of the Dams raids. It is almost certainly a late '30s jacket made by Irvin Air chute. It is a large size, at least a size 5, probably a 6. I have restored it, replaced the ugly plastic YKK main zip with a reclaimed "Dot British zip". One of its owners had sewn various patches on it and the stitch marks are still visible. Nevertheless the sheepskin is very supple and strong. I love the contrasting light russet cowhide facings. The sleeve zips are the single trunnion "Dot made in England" variety and their leather pulls are original.
[/IMG]

aswatland

Hi Mike, The patches had weakened the leather resulting in a couple of tears along the stitch holes. (I decided against replacing a the sections of sheepskin as this would involve inserting horizontal seam tapes-much more in keeping with a mid or late war Irvin.) I have sewed them together and they are holding up well. I decided not to use glue as well as the leather is still supple and strong on both sides of the tear.

Replacing the main zip took about half and hour, pinning it first and then stitching it on my sewing machine. I am still thinking whether to fill the stitch holes left by the patches with leather glue or leave them. I also fitted correct IAC collar rings from a wrecked jacket.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
They are still on the website and in the latest paper catalogue. I've examined one closely and I don't see why they wouldn't replace an 'Irvin' sleeve zip. It would need adjusting for length (as you know, not critical on an 'Irvin') and the tape is different, but it's close enough for everyday wear, as they say...

On a different tack, SoF offers small quantities of the WW2 and post-war pattern Newey-Goodman snap fastener, which are still available from the factory in Birmingham, but only in large quantities.

Alan

Windsock said:
Is he still doing this? I'm trying to recall what the response was when I checked through SoF about a year and a half ago but either he wasn't doing them any more or that they wouldn't be suitable for an Irvin- I just can't remember.

Windsock

A-List Customer
Yes i've now had second thoughts about the wisdom of doing it Andrew. I'm sure many have appreciated the innocent and purely jacket related intent but it appears to have been taken over in an entirely unintentional direction. I'm now sure his real name will not appear in the Movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy