Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is a pork-pie a different category?

immortaldiamond

Familiar Face
I love pork-pie hats, but I'm wondering whether it's really only strictly-speaking a stingy with an even, round dent. Can any fedora be 'pork-pied', or would you place them in a different category? Ideas?

billyspew

One Too Many
I think a prokpie is all about the crown shape. The brim can be any length - for instance I own an Optimo Porkpie which has a brim width os 2 3/8":
3258214473_120f14c41b_m.jpg

I think it it may however come down to personal opinion as I'm not entirley sure there is an official designation of what can and can't be a porkpie.

Bill

Viper Man

Banned
Wil Tam said:
fer shure ... to me it doesn't look right with the front snapped down [huh]

I agree and almost always wear mine with the brim up. However, it does look good with the brim down on this guy (Roy 'Little Jazz' Eldridge)...

c36446cvs13.jpg

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
When it comes to porkpies I'm a brim up guy. However I just got an old Dobbs off ebay. It has a 2 inch brim and a very low crown so I "porkpied" it and turned the brim down in front and I like it. No pics as of today but will post some soon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy