Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Alpaca itchy?

emigran

Practically Family
With short sleeves or a thin shirt, - If you're old enough to remember, it can be like sitting in an old armchair stuffed with horsehair when the upholstery is worn and the horsehair sticks you in 1000 places. If you're too young just imagine the experience.
Wear the right shirt though and it's really warm. My 'winter' Highwayman is Alpaca lined.

ROFL...!!!

emigran

Practically Family
Always wore long sleeves ...

BTW had a ton of Alpaca sweaters in the 60's... 3 button cardigan variety... really garish colors too... thought I was Sinatra...had a stingy brim Dobbs too with feather.

Last edited:

basbol13

A-List Customer
I believe it can be itchy, but I also believe that it's itchiness can be conquered by sheer will power. Just by not thinking about it can actually bring about peace in the mind of the wearer. It can be a character builder, though I wouldn't wear Alpaca underwear as I believe that would probably be tempting fate and angering the gods.

wild_balls

Practically Family
I have had both itchy ones and ones that doesn't itch at all! For example I had one from Aero that was itchy even with a long sleeve on, then I had another Aero that didn't itch at all! The N1 deck jacket from Buzz Rickson is in between imo! Guess there's no guarantee even with the same model from the same brand when it comes to Alpaca lining and itchyness! One thing is for sure, you will stay awake with itchy Alpaca lining!

Cheers Joakim

the loco

One of the Regulars
I'm quite allergic to alpaca wool, vicuña is as worm and much softer, unfortunately it became ridiculously expensive over time. Even the Lochcarron wool from my SB Roadster bothers me sometimes, thought.

That being said, maybe Aero sources higher quality alpaca, so the best would be to try a sample.

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
I have a Buzz Rickson´s Rough Wear B-10 size 44" , no issues at all very comfy to wear, not ichy at all ,even in a T-Shirt .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner