Is Alpaca itchy?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by CoreyM, Mar 8, 2017.

1. CoreyM

CoreyM New in Town

I've read a few reviews of the B10 alpaca wool lining where some people claim its very itchy.

I wear a lot of short sleeves. I know it will be somewhat personal but survey says?

2. Monsoon

Monsoon A-List Customer

I wouldn't wear one with a short sleeved shirt!

Guppy, ton312 and ProteinNerd like this.
  3. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Vendor

Yeah it's kinda itchy. I tried mine on initially in a short sleeve shirt and immediately realizied, this is a long sleeve shirt jacket. Super warm though.

4. ProteinNerd

ProteinNerd My Mail is Forwarded Here

This x100

5. robrinay

robrinay One Too Many

With short sleeves or a thin shirt, - If you're old enough to remember, it can be like sitting in an old armchair stuffed with horsehair when the upholstery is worn and the horsehair sticks you in 1000 places. If you're too young just imagine the experience.
    Wear the right shirt though and it's really warm. My 'winter' Highwayman is Alpaca lined.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    Peter Bowden likes this.
  6. Carlos840

Carlos840 Call Me a Cab

I only ever had a sample, but i was so allergic to the stuff my girlfriend decided to not even use it in her jacket!
    I am not allergic to wool or anything else, but the second i touched that sample i was itching all over and my eyes went crazy.

At least get a sample before you order, had i used alpaca in a jacket it would have probably killed me!

El Marro likes this.
  7. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Staff Member Bartender

I don't find my alpaca to be itchy at all, but then I wear long sleeve shirts with it. Just checked my Highwayman and see the sleeves are lined with corduroy, so wearing a short sleeve shirt shouldn't be a problem for you. If wearing only a T-shirt with no collar, it may be that your neck would come into contact with the alpaca.

Cooper A-2 likes this.
  8. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

I had a bootlegger lined in it...very warm but terribly uncomfortable to me. Especially in the sleeves, would never go that route again. I like the idea of cord lining, as Peacoat mentioned above.

Fanch likes this.
  9. CoreyM

CoreyM New in Town

Well I think my bubble has been burst! Does anyone have experience with Pike Brothers deck jacket or B10? They just list it as woven wool lining

10. ButteMT61

ButteMT61

It's not Merino wool, but it's not horrible either. The only one I have left is my Pike Bros N-1. I can wear it with a T-shirt, but a henley is better.
    The two Aeros I had with it I no longer have. I prefer the wool Tartains...

Cooper A-2 likes this.
  11. Blackadder

Blackadder Call Me a Cab

Which B-10? I have both Buzz and McCoy's alpaca lined jackets and I must say McCoy's lining is longer and not as spiky but I heard that the sea washed Buzz is also less spiky. I can't really comment on the itchiness though cos I find all wool materials itchy save for cashmere-silk blend. I find even the wool-nylon double-faced lining of my L-2 and L-2A uncomfortable and I have to wear long sleeves under them.

Cooper A-2 likes this.
  12. CoreyM

CoreyM New in Town

I had zero problems with my shearling jackets and being short sleeved. I was looking at a used McCoy's B10 but read a few people talking about them being itchy.

I emailed Pike Bros to ask what thier lining was

13. EmergencyIan

EmergencyIan Practically Family

It doesn't bother me, but neither does wool. It seems that it depends on the person. It's not one of those across the board sort of things.

- Ian

HPA Rep likes this.
  14. ProteinNerd

Reading this, I've just gone and grabbed my Pike Bros N1 and put it on with just a tee shirt....it's not itchy as such but it does feel a little spikey for lack of a better word. Dont think I'd want to wear it like this all day but a long sleeve tee shirt would be fine. It's not the neck but it's the sleeves, they are full lined with the alpaca as well and that's what's feeling a touch uncomfortable.

Lining according to the inside tab is 100% wool....but isn't that was alpaca is....alpaca wool?

15. ProteinNerd

So I just tried my Alpaca lined Aero Long Hercules.

Before I ordered it, i spoke with Carrie about its itchiness. She said they are using a newer better quality, less itchy alpaca than they used too and comparing it to the Pike Bros N1 it is night and day. The Aero stuff is very smooth, not at all rough, spikey or itchy. I wouldn't have an issue wearing it with just a tee shirt (but the sleeves aren't lined anyway) so it looks like it depends on the alpaca quality?

16. s4rmark

s4rmark One of the Regulars

I have an Eastman B10 and a Buzz Ricksons N1 , both alpaca lined and can wear at t shirt underneath with no itching.

Cooper A-2 likes this.
  17. samo

samo One of the Regulars

I think that it is also very important how sensitive to wool You are? I send back a jacket lined with tartan for relining as it was to itchy for me. The only wool stuff that I found not to be itchy is shearling.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  18. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

The old Aero HWM I had was quite itchy, not horrendous but I wouldn't wear it with just a t-shirt. The sleeves were lined with cotton so it wasn't an issue on my arms. I have felt their new alpaca and it's far softer - I know they went all out to find a less itchy version of it. Tbh, I would go with wool over alpaca any day of the week, it's just more flexible. Oh, and shearling is wearable with a t-shirt any time.

19. Americanaaa Mark

Americanaaa Mark A-List Customer

Yea it is. I have an aero with it and it is not really good with a short sleeve shirt.

Wool in general doesn't feel nice on my skin so i try to avoid it.

20. mr_lits

mr_lits A-List Customer

I have a Real McCoys B10 and love wearing it with a teeshirt. I have not experienced any discomfort with the alpaca, in fact the opposite I find it to be very soft. I think it is often a poly blend issue that causes the itch or discomfort. Also I understand that some people may have an allergy or sensitivity to the materials.

Cooper A-2 likes this.