Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Hollywood finally getting it?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I was a little surprised to see two short articles in a well known magazine, 'In Style'. Although I know this will be just another fad, I was pleased to read some of the changes taking place- for now.

Refined style is the latest celebrity mantra
Hollywood's leading ladies have enrolled in charm school. How else to explain the legions of crisply dressed, genteel-looking actresses stepping out these days? Not that we've seen the death of cleavage, but overt sexiness and boho insouciance suddenly seem out of favor. Just consider all the luminaries who've recently made startling wardrobe transitions from blase' to exquisitely put-together. In some cases the transformation reflects a maturing lifestyle. But the rise of the personal stylist, dainty offerings on runways, and the omnipresent paparazzi are also factors.

There is power in ladylike luxe; It can make you appear cultured, thoughtful and self-possessed. Ingenues like Zooey Deschanel and Mandy Moore are known for their refined fashion choices both on and off the red carpet. "Nothing slutty, nothing too avant-garde" is how Barneys New York creative directore Simon Doonan describes the new view. In some ways their sophistication is a riposte to those audacious types who neglect to don underwear. "Not showing skin adds an air of mystery", says designer Lela Rose, who has a starry following for her confections. "Young actresses want to be taken seriously," adds designer Sari Gueron, a favorite of Michelle Williams and Natalie Portman's. Expect more timeless grandeur; Marc Jacobs and Versace are both mining the look for fall.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Its a trend, like all the others. Give it 5 years, and they will be talking about how people are 'too' conservative in their dress and how 'stars' are breaking out of it with 'sexy' (skanky) clothing.

*sigh*

LD

lindylady

A-List Customer
I just see this as a good time to snatch up the ladylike, vintage-inspired clothing in stores before the trashy clothes turn up full force again.

Sunny

One Too Many
Or even better, when it becomes pass?©, to snatch up everything on clearance! And then resale, for years afterward... :eusa_clap

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
I don't think today's Hollywood shall ever get it.

The old Hollywood actors had the studios grooming them
and if they didn't do what they wanted then their
careers could suffer. Today's actors have an amazing
amount of freedom and most of them are unable to
keep true to real charm & style that is developed over
time with repetition.

Alas, there are some that do dazzle me with their keen
style and charm. But they are usually the older actors
that have developed it with time.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
What I would really like to see is some good role models for pre-teens and teens. What I've been seeing out there is pretty darn scary :eek:
Thinking about this last night, there's only two that I can think of that are 'ok'...Hilary Duff (though, is she still all cute and innocence?) and Mandy Moore.
I remember my MTV days and it was bad back then (which, wasn't that long ago! I can only imagine what they're seeing now!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy