Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is humor the answer? The Hat Industry ponders...

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
In the latest issue of Hat Life, the writer queries whether a humorous campaign can address the fact that "Hats are in a pretty somber state...," and gives examples for other industries.

http://www.hatlife.com/newsletters/2006/mar06_1/art3.htm

And the hook? Sun protection. Where have we heard that one before? (See Hat Life, Aug. '43)

How 'bout:

Old Age? Put A Lid On It.

or

Your Only Wrinkles Should Be In Your Hat

or

The Scoop On Beating Old Age: It's A Coverup.

So whaddaya say? This could be the Lounge's chance to save the Hat Industry. I see a lock-the-door, marathon think-tank and everybody's in -- very smoky; lotta booze; questionable characters with features obscured by canted brims of dark, dark fedoras. It's a grim task to be funny.

Who's next? Sling it up against the wall. And remember, dammit, this is serious. For the Hat, Life is at stake.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
We could steal shamelessly from a favourite movie: "The man in the hat is back!" With a selection of behatted gents from a variety of (physical) ages and social groups.

Feraud

Bartender
just playin' devil's advocate here:

Are hats in that bad a shape? I see hundreds of hat wearers every day in NYC. Of course they are not wearing the style of hat I favor. The masses now choose the baseball cap. These hats litter the heads and stores of our nation.

Fedora

Vendor
Are hats in that bad a shape? I see hundreds of hat wearers every day in NYC. Of course they are not wearing the style of hat I favor. The masses now choose the baseball cap. These hats litter the heads and stores of our nation.

Ah, we are from a different generation. My generation differentated hats and caps. There were hats, and there were caps. Caps were normally worn by kids, until they were mature enough to move up to a real head cover, a hat. A rite of passage. Nowadays we are so obsessed with youth, and in our quest for perpetual youth, many in society regress to the juvenile cap wearing. Baseball caps look fine on baseball players, but heck, in my opinion, that is where they belong. On the baseball field. You may as well wear a football helmet around. But, that may be next.:) I figure it would go as well with the athletic suits and athletic shoes you see folks wearing as street clothes.

What hurts any slogan regarding wearing a proper hat for sun protection is this culture's obsession with being tan. No matter that it is factual that sun exposure isn't good for you, or that it prematurely ages. And I see an insane contradiction here. Nothng new. We are obsessed with youth, and all that goes with it, but we willingly expose outselves to the radiation, for the tan, while ingoring what this exposure is actually doing to us. Anyone else see the absurdity? I look at this and wonder how homo sapiens sapiens ever climbed the evoulutionary ladder. But perhaps,it is only a recent regression of intelligence. There is no doubt in my mind, that when the human race is in its death throes, folks will conclude that the end started when there was a bad mutation in human intelligence. The first symptom was when man suddenly stopped wearing brimmed hats and replaced it with no hat, or a head cover that only shielded the eyes.(sunglasses would have pulled this off better).

So, perhaps, "wear a hat, save mankind" might be a good slogan. You could then present a treatise on the stupidity of post 1963 homo sapiens. Somehow tie this in with a right wing conspiracy, and you have all the democrats wearing hats. That would be a start. :) Fedora

Dogs & Beagles

Fedora said:
My generation differentated hats and caps. There were hats, and there were caps. Caps were normally worn by kids, until they were mature enough to move up to a real head cover, a hat. Fedora
All caps are hats, but not all hats are caps.

Dusty Rhodes

Suspended
Fedora said:
So, perhaps, "wear a hat, save mankind" might be a good slogan. You could then present a treatise on the stupidity of post 1963 homo sapiens. Somehow tie this in with a right wing conspiracy, and you have all the democrats wearing hats. That would be a start. :) Fedora
That would about sum it up too Sir LOL :fing28: :p :icon_smil
DR

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Fedora said:

Will that be with or without the tinfoil lining sir? :p

Raindog

One of the Regulars
"Get ahead, get a hat"
"You'll adora your fedora"
"Avoid being a leatherface, wear a hat!"
Scene in a cancer ward....Patient looks forlornly at camera...."I wish I'd worn me Hat!"
"Use your noodle, in the current bun, wear ya tit for tat my old cocker!" This is for the English audience.....
Alternatively just get Indiana Jones to wear his fedora in a few ads, that should do it.

Jeff.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Raindog said:
"Use your noodle, in the current bun, wear ya tit for tat my old cocker!" This is for the English audience.....

"I'm terribly sorry old thing, but I'm afraid I don't understand your patois. I say Carruthers, do we have a translator or shall we just run away back to Pimlico?"

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I think we need to bribe Brad Pitt, George Clooney and few other guys to start doing fedora-era epics. If they wore a classic lid in public, it would do wonders for the cause.

Dusty Rhodes

Suspended
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]Will that be with or without the tinfoil lining sir? :p[/QUOTE]
I was trying to think of a way to work tinfoil into this equation, and you found it! :arated: :cheers1:
DR

Russ

One of the Regulars
That's the carrot on the stick

Pilgrim said:
I think we need to bribe Brad Pitt, George Clooney and few other guys to start doing fedora-era epics. If they wore a classic lid in public, it would do wonders for the cause.

I'm sure movies have more influence on hat wearing than medical concerns. I bet most of us who woke up to hats did so because of a movie and then later realized there were medical benefits. I can remember when I first started wearing a hat about 16 years ago my boss asked me why, and my reply was I didn't want skin cancer. Of course my real reason was because I thought they looked great on someone I saw in a movie.

We need movie scenes of non-hat wearing characters actually being converted to fedoras or other brimmed hats. The country store scene in the beginning of the Australian movie The Shiralee where the proprietor insists that the newly arrived city fellow needs a hat is what tipped the scales for me. The character wore a hat for the rest of the movie and looked great in it. Come to think of it, you could say that scene cited medical reasons for wearing a hat.

Even in the Golden Age, hats were hawked by celebrities:
1949StetsonBurtlancaster1.jpg

1949 Bert Lancaster

1943Stetsonthreeway.jpg

1943 Bob Benchley

Champ.jpg

Sid Luckman

malloryhats_1.jpg

Walter Reid 1922

kidwithcircuscake.jpg

1950s kid. :p

and Men of extraordinary character now:arated: :
SF_gathering_2005_color.jpg

Regards to all,

J

LEUII

One of the Regulars
Just show men the ears of farmers who have worn caps in the field for their whole life. They usually look like a rat has been chewing on them. That'll make hats come back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda