Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is It More Difficult For You to Dress "Vintage" in the Summertime?

Is it more difficult for you to dress vintage in summer?

• Yes.

Votes: 29 46.8%
  • No.

Votes: 30 48.4%
  • I'm not sure...

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • It's always difficult for me to dress vintage!

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
Absolutely. I'm fairly active outdoors, especially during the warmer months and get warm very easily. I'm more in a 50's casual style, at best, during the summer.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
With temperatures now breaking 100 degrees here in the L.A. area, I'm finding it a chore just to find anything suitable to wear, much less vintage or vintage-inspired. Sure, I can put on a c.early '60s short sleeve shirt, a pair of pleated khakis, some slip-ons, and top them off with a Golden Gate straw hat (all of which I'm wearing now). Yet I'm more of a suit and tie guy, so for me at least the options seem to be more limited than in cooler weather. Perhaps this is more of a "guy" thing, seeing that the ladies can resort to summer dresses, but maybe it's a challenge (or not) for both genders. So, how do the rest of our Loungers feel about it? Do you find that your dressing options shrink in the summer, or not? (Of course I realize that for those who live "down under," the seasons are reversed, but you get the gist of it: hot weather.)

I've been hunting high and low for a nice linen suit or even just a jacket, but they're exceptionally hard to find. I found one at the Value Village in Bellingham, but unfortunately it was a cheap made in china affair and it had started to bubble on the left chest area - shot and worthless. That is the only linen sport coat I've found so far.

The hunt continues.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh to have cold, rainy days every day...my life would be whole.

Iowa gets hot, humid and nasty. Vintage goes right out the window for me. Wool is not an option, aside from my wool cap (wool doesn't take on odors as easily, thus no sweat stink).

I don't have AC, and I haven't used AC in years so I expect to be hot. I'm not planning on ruining a suit unnecessarily, so they are hung and waiting for Autumn. If I have an event, I wear my seersucker during the day, or a couple tropical wools for evening - but only for an event, mind. Otherwise, it's Bermuda shorts and 100% rayon shirts for me.

My employer is business casual, so there is the regular chinos and button downs, but they remain loose and untucked so that some air can circulate. I sweat in the winter (no joke); my blood is entirely too thick for hot Iowa summers.

Last edited:

TraditionalFrog

One of the Regulars
I'm not a summer man either. I'm sensitive to both heat and humidity (both of which we get in large doses here), and I get ever so sick and tired of seeing practically everyone for months in shorts, T-shirts and those blasted cheap flip-flops. You'd think there wasn't any other type of clothing existent. Anyway, getting off my soap box... I like autumn and spring best, although here in Indy, spring is short lived as we seem to go straight from winter to hot summer.

My wardrobe changes little, in the summer, I typically wear a golf shirt and slacks around the house, and a button down shirt, slacks or dress pants when going out. If I go somewhere real nice (like church, symphony, or a restaurant) I add a tie and jacket (or suit). In winter its basically the same except I tend to almost always wear a jacket and tie or suit when going out anywhere. For shoes I wear a Rockport walking shoe for around the house and Florsheim wingtips and fedora when I wear my jacket or suit. I wear a sport or flat cap otherwise like in my avatar photo. Right now, I can't really afford to go more vintage than that.

Hope everyone has been able to stay cool this summer, as at least around here it's been super hot (till the last few days), and super dry as well. The Victory Garden outside wasn't all to happy. :-(

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
I have found that it is harder to dress in vintace clothing in the summer because white cotton and linen tends to yellow or they get cut up for rags so finding items in good condition is harder. It is also harder because to keep a good look you need to iron everything at least daily (perminant press just doesn't look ironed.

Edward

Bartender
Never found it any more difficult than Winter wear, though my preferred time of year is mid March, and September - just after / just before the lighter co-respondents come out for the season, but it's still cool enough for felt and a trenchcoat. Or a leather jacket.

How about Bermuda shorts? There's a very vintage piece of summerwear.

eisenstaedt-alfred-bermuda-shorts.jpg

Anyone caught dressing like that really out to consider doing the Decent Thing. Isn't that why you have the Second Amendment. Beastly. Bad enough grown men in short trousers, but those are even more hideous than the norm.

i don't think it's that difficult really; linen trousers, short sleeved shirt (or shirt with sleeves rolled up), summer spectators, sunglasses, optional hat. Bob's your uncle.

Hat is never optional for me.... and I'm only out of a jacket when it's utterly impossible to breathe wearing one. Blessed with plenty of jacket weather this Summer, which has been wonderful. I think I've only been forced to go out jacketless twice this year, both times in Beijing in late June. I've even been able to wear leather most of this Summer!

My answer was probably influenced by the fact that I hate hot weather and really dislike summer clothes. Give me tweed and I'm happy.

Heh. Yes, I don't much care for anything over twenty-one degrees myself.

If you don't like hot weather, just move to England. We don't seem to be getting Summer this year!

Au contraire, it is the perfect Summer. ;)

Ha, neither has Sweden. But we have the drawback of cold winters which England doesn't. I much prefer your climate. In fact, I'd like to live in about 10-15°C, overcast, light drizzle optional. I think Iceland may be just what I'm looking for. ;)

Or Ireland. There's a reason we're all naturally a pale blue skintone.

Sounds like a good recipe to get depression. :rain:

Depends on the individual. My very worst attacks have all coincided with (and to some extent been at least exacerbated, if not triggered, by) periods of hot, sunny weather, especially when these go on for several weeks without a drop of rain.

Shorts, short sleeved shirt, espadrilles or sandals or mesh spectators, sunglasses, optional hat. No problem: a very vintage look. It was a look I sought evidence of from old photos, and actively acquired while in Indiana summers. A solid 3 months, minimum, of above 30C and high humidity tends to dispel any lingering doubts about shorts (not that I ever had any).

Sounds, pretty much, like what I'll be wearing today! 27C here we come …

bk

Last edited:

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
Modern clothing is about the most uncomfortable type in the summer. I am always glad to put on my airtex shirt, khaki trousers and NZ lemon squeezer (or arab headwear sometimes) when I go to WWII events.

Good period clothing for summer is worth the work it takes to find.

Last edited:

Espee

Practically Family
Last week I was heading out to attend a show (evening, indoors) and I like the look of off-white trousers at this time of year. But I constantly worry about spilling food on them, or brushing against something grimy.
I had some stops to make and running around to do before sundown, so I wore a short-sleeved shirt. But there was a 50-50 chance I'd be on stage for a couple minutes during the show, so I took along a dark DB jacket.
IF it got cool enough, I'd change to a long-sleeved shirt and a regular tie. But if not, I'd need a bow tie in case I stayed with the short-sleeved shirt.
I could have snipped a fresh flower for my lapel, but considering it was 50-50 I'd never put on the jacket and 70-30 the flower would wilt severely, unless I carried it in a cooler, I settled for a silk one.
So yeah, it's more difficult for me-- and I'm only trying for "vintage-inspired."
(And to think, I used to wear shorts about 10 months out of the year, anywhere I could get away with it.)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I find it MUCH easier to dress vintage in the summer. The DC area has long, hot, humid summers and cold, snowy winters. Ladies can wear lots of vintage sundresses and open-toed sandals. Once it starts to dip below 50F/10C, I just can't stay warm in vintage. It doesn't help that I'm allergic to wool.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure about this one. When the weather gets hot I tend to swap the tie for a cravat and the jacket gets slung over the shoulder rather than worn. Feet are not a problem. It makes no difference whether the weather is warm or cold, a good quality pair of shoes will keep ones feet relatively comfortable.
The one time I did have a real problem was in Bursa in Turkey a number of years ago. I was wearing crepe soled suede shoes: the pavements were so damn hot that my shoes kept sticking to the ground. Since then, i've always chosen a heavy soled shoe for summer.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I find it MUCH easier to dress vintage in the summer. The DC area has long, hot, humid summers and cold, snowy winters. Ladies can wear lots of vintage sundresses and open-toed sandals. Once it starts to dip below 50F/10C, I just can't stay warm in vintage. It doesn't help that I'm allergic to wool.

I wonder if there's a gender factor at play here. Is it easier for ladies to dress vintage in summer weather than gents? Interesting.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Possibly, gents, especially if a chap doesn't wish to wear shorts or short sleeved shirts.

Today I finally got to bust out my 'new to me' 1930s sleeveless linen sports frock. It's been too cool otherwise. Currently 26 degrees c.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think it is much easier for ladies to dress vintage year-round, unless you live in a really extreme climate. I can't handle stockings in deep winter (between the cold, snow, and my lifestyle) so I have to wear leggings, but I can still wear vintage suits, skirts, sweaters, etc. In the summer, wearing a skirt or dress with flats and socks is by far the coolest thing one could wear- cooler than shorts. I wore shorts one time last summer, and boy did I regret that. They were miserably hot.

Ladies who live in really hot climate probably might find more modern dresses and tops easier than a lot of vintage wear (and definitely no stockings!), just like I find leggings easier in the winter. Lots of ladies find it difficult to wear their hair in a vintage style they like in some season where they live. So I think a "modified vintage look" that incorporates some modern stuff is a lot easier for ladies to pull off then men, because I don't think there is as much modification men can do without going to shorts. That and I think that there are more "vintage inspired" pieces for the ladies out there than the men at better prices. I know it's next to impossible for my husband to find a nice new/ used linen suit that is affordable, and we have yet to see a vintage one come up we could afford in his size. But I can find a vintage-inspired cotton dress (or make myself one) really easily and cheaply.

When you're slogging through the snow or sweating, it's really hard to "abuse" your actual vintage pieces. It's a lot easier to have access to vintage-inspired or reproductions, or at least it is for me.

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
Now that I live in Tennessee and on top of a mountain, the summers are milder. When I lived in Florida it was much harder. Dressing vintage involves wearing way too much clothing for a Florida summer. Dressing at all is difficult when it is 100 degrees and 90% humidity but no one wants to see you in a vintage birthday suit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy