Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is style stuck in a 2 decade rut?

Gene

Practically Family
My daughter asked for Docs for Christmas and she's been wearing them with her dresses and she asked for all my old high waisted jeans from the 80s (don't know why I kept them), which she calls mom jeans and cut them off into shorts. It's really odd watching my daughter walk around in the same things I used to wear :eeek:

[video=youtube;qsu32ncvDyM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsu32ncvDyM[/video]

Edward

Bartender
My daughter asked for Docs for Christmas and she's been wearing them with her dresses and she asked for all my old high waisted jeans from the 80s (don't know why I kept them), which she calls mom jeans and cut them off into shorts. It's really odd watching my daughter walk around in the same things I used to wear :eeek:

Ah, dresses and DMs.... I knew the early 90s would come back eventually. Much more welcome than the hideous Eighties fashions my undergraduates have been sporting for too long!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Ah, dresses and DMs.... I knew the early 90s would come back eventually. Much more welcome than the hideous Eighties fashions my undergraduates have been sporting for too long!

It's about time it came back, I guess lol My sister has a prom picture from 1993 where she has on a frilly black dress with Docs. Her date has on Converse sneakers and an over-sized 70s blazer he got from Goodwill. It's hilarious and incredibly NINETIES!!!

I have pictures of me with ugly polka-dot bell-bottoms on lol and ripped up jeans with hot pink tights underneath....I could go on when it comes to bad 90s fashion that I actually wore out in public!

Having lived through it the first time, I have no interest in re-wearing this stuff, even though I saved quite a lot of it (because I knew one day it would be in style again -- no lie). But if the kids like it, then that's pretty cool.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up

I second it being odd! My daughter is wearing flannel shirts just like I used to in college.

I took my son to school today and noticed that not much has really changed since I was in school. Same kids wearing the same ubiquitous jeans, t-shirt, tennis shoes---no difference. One kid had a bi-level mohawk and one had curly hippie hair but still nothing new there. Of course my son goes dressed the same way I did with dark colored khakis and a long sleeve button down shirt. :p

It's about time it came back, I guess lol My sister has a prom picture from 1993 where she has on a frilly black dress with Docs. Her date has on Converse sneakers and an over-sized 70s blazer he got from Goodwill. It's hilarious and incredibly NINETIES!!!

I have pictures of me with ugly polka-dot bell-bottoms on lol and ripped up jeans with hot pink tights underneath....I could go on when it comes to bad 90s fashion that I actually wore out in public!

Having lived through it the first time, I have no interest in re-wearing this stuff, even though I saved quite a lot of it (because I knew one day it would be in style again -- no lie). But if the kids like it, then that's pretty cool.

All of that was around ten years before too. We had a moron go to the prom with Converse sneakers as well. :p

PoohBang

Suspended
All of that was around ten years before too. We had a moron go to the prom with Converse sneakers as well. :p

He guess he didn't wear them to be different... he had to be a moron because he didn't fit in?

Isn't that the whole reason you wear vintage clothes? To NOT fit in with modern fashion?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I still see most all of what's been described as 90s fashion every day of the week on the streets up here -- every once in a while you'll even see an 80s perm. The main difference, I guess, is that our demographic here is much much older than the more fashionable areas -- the median age is something like 46, and you'll find a lot of people still wearing the same thing they were wearing twenty years ago. We're old here, and we're cheap.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
...Isn't that the whole reason you wear vintage clothes? To NOT fit in with modern fashion?

Although I see the point you're making with JP, I would argue that some of us (if not most of us) aren't entirely worried about fitting in or not. Perhaps the kid wearing Converse was not worried either, but in any case...

PoohBang

Suspended
Although I see the point you're making with JP, I would argue that some of us (if not most of us) aren't entirely worried about fitting in or not. Perhaps the kid wearing Converse was not worried either, but in any case...

I get ya undertow... But I'd say most here don't want to "fit in" with the modern crowd.

I'd go further to say that Chuck Taylor Converse have looked basically the same since the 1920's... so not exactly 1990's fashion. If anything that "Moron" was wearing vintage.

He guess he didn't wear them to be different... he had to be a moron because he didn't fit in?

Isn't that the whole reason you wear vintage clothes? To NOT fit in with modern fashion?

It has to do with dressing appropriately for an occasion in which you were expected to wear a dress clothing AND dress shoes. If he wanted to stand out he could have worn white dress shoes. You can stand out without looking stupid you know.:rolleyes:

I also do not wear vintage to stand out. In fact, I blend in wearing vintage as a suit is still a suit today or sixty years ago. So is a sport coat, shoes on your feet and a hat on your head. The fact that people do not dress WELL is somehting else and entirely their choice to look like slobs. I just hold myself to a higher standard. Standing out is not the express reason. Looking presentable is.

PoohBang

Suspended
It has to do with dressing appropriately for an occasion in which you were expected to wear a dress clothing AND dress shoes. If he wanted to stand out he could have worn white dress shoes. You can stand out without looking stupid you know.:rolleyes:

I also do not wear vintage to stand out. In fact, I blend in wearing vintage as a suit is still a suit today or sixty years ago. So is a sport coat, shoes on your feet and a hat on your head. The fact that people do not dress WELL is somehting else and entirely their choice to look like slobs. I just hold myself to a higher standard. Standing out is not the express reason. Looking presentable is.

Okay. I get it. You think people that don't dress like you want them to are stupid or morons.

I also blend vintage with modern clothing. That's something we have in common.

But the one thing we don't have in common is, I don't hold myself to a higher standard than others.

I kind of see us all as equal. [huh]

Okay. I get it. You think people that don't dress like you want them to are stupid or morons.

I also blend vintage with modern clothing. That's something we have in common.

But the one thing we don't have in common is, I don't hold myself to a higher standard than others.

I kind of see us all as equal. [huh]

Nice try but it is not What I like or want but what is respectable to others and the venue in social situations that require it. If you don't have standards then just say so and we'll leave it at that.

Secondly, holding yourself to a higher standard is not subjugating others it just means you don't want to look like a bum. Self respect is shown and you show that you are respecting others by not causing sight polution.

Nice try again but actually you are respecting others by not showing up and offending them by the way you look, smell or act.

Last edited:

PoohBang

Suspended
Whole lotta of twistin goin on...
images

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
To be fair, the guy who wore Converse to my sister's prom was a moron, too lol Maybe a theme?

Last edited:

rue

[video=youtube;qsu32ncvDyM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsu32ncvDyM[/video]

:rofl:

Tell me about it! She's moving on through the 80s into the 90s. I can only hope she'll become more interested in the vintage thing as the years progress :)
I second it being odd! My daughter is wearing flannel shirts just like I used to in college.

Ah yes, the flannels.... She hasn't gone there yet, but I'm waiting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR