Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is the vintage crowd the curmudgeon crowd?

mike

Call Me a Cab
Matt Deckard said:
I'm on the phone with a friend of mine in New York and he's complaining that the retro club he just left closed at midnight. Now midnight in New York to me is usually my second hour into the night.

That description sounds exactly the same as the Cicada Club really. Promoters everywhere need to work with venue's schedules to run events that aren't heaving by modern club/bar attendance standards. I'm thankful that there actually are venues that are willing to work with promoters looking to run vintage-based nights! No one's making money on this stuff, that's for sure.

People can complain till the cows come home or find exciting ways to live their lives, either way 2012 is quickly approaching! muwhahaha

mike

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
The Cicada Club closes at 11:00 pm because:

a.) It's held on Sunday nights, and most people have to work early on Monday.

b.) It's held in a restaurant and abides by the restaurant's schedule.

Well speaking as a person that runs a 20s/30s delta blues night on a wednesday night, we stay open if people are walking in the door till 4am. So takes all kinds I guess. But I always thought the Cicada Club closed far too early. It's virtually Shangra La! And then, it's gone in a flash! :eusa_doh: :p

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Might we be narrowing down the discussion too much here? I mean: "curmudgeon = early nighter"?

That French dude, Foucault, called this "taming the discourse" - avoiding topics that might offend or incite by keeping the conversation channeled and directed.

Now Foucault didn't much traffic in etiquette, whereas the FL pretty much depends on it. So forgive me if I push any envelopes here. But I wonder if we might be ignoring the tendency for many, but not all, curmudgeons to be - never you mind politically - but certainly culturally conservative...???

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
mike said:
Well speaking as a person that runs a 20s/30s delta blues night on a wednesday night, we stay open if people are walking in the door till 4am. So takes all kinds I guess. But I always thought the Cicada Club closed far too early. It's virtually Shangra La! And then, it's gone in a flash! :eusa_doh: :p

New York might be different, but I think the typical vintage crowd are not late night partiers. Nothing like a club or salsa crowd.

I don't mind going out late sometimes, but frankly, I wish things got started earlier. Not vintage, but generally clubs around Seattle don't really get any activity till ten. Why not start partying at eight and get home at a decnet hour.

I hear places like Brazil don't even start till midnight. When do they sleep?

Marc Chevalier said:
Or perhaps it's a euphemism for "dull".

Next we are going to hear words like elitist and having discriminating tastes. :rolleyes:
I think the whole point of The Lounge in the first place is to create and atmosphere of a gentlemen's club (accepting women of course;) ). Revelry and rowdiness are anathema to that. Big surprise that we are hearing the comments we are getting in this thread.
The vintage scene, in general, is based on the same kind of values and a kind of nod to the ways, in which, people behaved back then. When I think about that it reminds me of my father's old saying: "What can't you do at 10pm that you can do at 2am?" ;) :p That kind of encapsulates the reason why most people here generally share the same idea. People back then weren't dull. They just knew how to make the best of the time they had. ;)

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I for one, am not here for the gentility. As I have oft noted, my favorite aspect of the vintage life is the jazz hipster mileu. In other words, if i could, I would be in harlem at two AM listening to a late night jam Session just getting started. i won't look askance at any "squares" who are in bed by ten, but I hardly think that the modern day has a monopoly on late night partying.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
People back then were out at 2 a.m. ... at least in New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco.

If you haven't lived the answer to that question, then it can't be explained to you.

Kansas City, Seattle, St. Louis, Chicago, Oklahoma City etc etc etc,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL