Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there something you really want to wear but are chicken?

Michael Carter

One of the Regulars
I'd like to buy a proper Bavarian suit jacket for dressy occasions, but I rarely even have an occasion for a traditional suit.

In this small town they'd think I was from another planet wearing something like that.

The well-dressed man about town in these parts is wearing his best bib overalls with his best Sunday wife-beater shirt on under that.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I'm good with most stuff. And by that, I mean a lot more than other people. But I don't know how comfortable I'd be in tails (first of all, I'm never invited to anything requiring white tie, or even black tie for that matter), or a top hat. I really want to wear a top hat, but I don't know how I'd even manage to find a way to pull it off.

Pince Nez for everyday wear. That's if I could find someone who could fill the Rx.
A monocle. At any time.
Carrying a walking stick. I'm too young to look normal carrying one... Maybe when I'm 40.
Wide brimmed Western hats. I look like an umbrella with a brim over 2 3/4".

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I would really like to wear a morning suit, but I don't think the occasion will be presenting itself to me any time soon. Also a bowler.

I will, eventually, wear proper evening kit on a somewhat regular basis, but that will take a while before I am successful enough to be doing concert appearances.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
The garment that comes to mind first when thinking about this is a monk's robe.
MR-100298.jpg

They look so comfortable. But I dont think I could wear one in public.

Marla

A-List Customer
For a long time I've liked the look of vintage jodhpurs. They look very flattering on the figure and comfortable, and have nice color (especially the olive green ones). I've even come across vintage jodhpurs in my size, but didn't buy them because I couldn't fathom where/when I would have an occasion to wear them. They're really the absolute antithesis of my usual, polished style. The contradiction is that I like equestrian wear, but don't like riding horses.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Not exactly "vintage" unless you think '60s like Luciana Paluzzi in Thunderball, but it's been generally noted that PETA doesn't bother folks wearing motorcycle leathers... :eek: :D lol

----------------
Now playing: Bill Conti - Run Them Down/The Climb
via FoxyTunes

I am awaiting the day when animal friendly graffiti sprayers will have their take on my leather shoes - dead calves and horses. I will have to bite the hand back exercising my animal rights on humans protecting human rights of animals. I can't bear the thought of wearing plastic brogues.

I got one threnchcoat at the age of 19 - even then I felt like a sausage cut in half wearing it. White coats have the charm of ice bear looks.
Also too accentuated broad white pinstripes seem to have the flair of pyjamas. This means my next DB won't have stripes, most probably.

Cheers:

Tom

Last edited:

CigarSmokePhilosopher

New in Town
i'm always worried i'll look overdressed... I don't really dress vintage just a bit "dressy", I just share a yearning for the fashion sense of yesteryear to come back- for a time when a man would be looked at oddly for NOT dawning a coat and fine shoes for an everyday outing.

Going to walmart in a conservative jacket, nice shirt, and some 200 buck johnston and murphy's is as wild as I really get, but I still sometimes get odd looks, though not often.
I live in oklahoma.

But fuggem, I am who I am, I dress to fit my body and my personality and that's that. If they don't like it, they probably won't like me. C'est La Vie, mes amis.

Last edited:

CigarSmokePhilosopher

New in Town
I am awaiting the day when animal friendly graffiti sprayers will have their take on my leather shoes - dead calves and horses. I will have to bite the hand back exercising my animal rights on humans protecting human rights of animals. I can't bear the thought of wearing plastic brogues.

I carry a nine millimeter, and that will be the day I use it...

Berlin

Practically Family
I carry a nine millimeter, and that will be the day I use it...

:eek:fftopic:

In my country it's illegal to wear a gun. You get sentenced to jail for quite some time...let alone how long, when you used it lol

Ontopic:
Hmm. I am thinking. But thus far I can't think of anything, I wouldn't wear in public.[huh]

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I would really like to wear a morning suit, but I don't think the occasion will be presenting itself to me any time soon. Also a bowler.
Get yourself invited to a wedding in England. The only one I have been to so far had about half the men in morning suits. It was lovely!

For a long time I've liked the look of vintage jodhpurs. They look very flattering on the figure and comfortable, and have nice color (especially the olive green ones). I've even come across vintage jodhpurs in my size, but didn't buy them because I couldn't fathom where/when I would have an occasion to wear them. They're really the absolute antithesis of my usual, polished style. The contradiction is that I like equestrian wear, but don't like riding horses.

I agree! There was also someone on the Lounge (can't remember who) who posted a picture of herself in breeches and boots, and it looked like the BEST solution for winter outdoor wear, but I just do not have the courage (or the bottom) for them.

I'd also like to wear my crinoline more often. I have several dresses and skirts I can wear over it, but it always seems like a step too far, and I chicken out.

rue

Oh lord... there's so much that I won't wear living in this small town :rolleyes: Here's two though:

My cloche hat- I wear it on walks with hubby, but once I tried to wear it to a gathering with old home owners and they had on jeans and parkas, while I was wearing the cloche, a dress and a long wool coat with fox trimmed collar. I thought it was appropriate for a cocktail party and it was 20 degrees out. Guess not [huh] You should have seen their faces :eek:

Day dresses- I only have a couple, but I have yet to put them on, because it feels like too much to wear to the grocery. I already get stares because of my hair and make-up.

martinsantos

Practically Family
I enjoy using hats, have two. I think they go well with me, as use suits everyday. But usually I turn shy about hats, with people really looking to me as an alien when I'm with one of them by day.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
A full-on western wear look is something I definitely wouldn't mind sporting some days, but for now I think the Open Road is plenty for me without overdoing it at this point. I still need to try to give off the impression that I wear hats because I like them and it's a hobby, not just because I want to imitate Clint Eastwood or John Wayne in a particular movie. Apart from the western thing, I would like to dress a bit more like James Bond (in my opinion the most stylish fictional character in pretty much any film he appears in), and at the moment, I sometimes go for what he may wear more casually, when going out in public. I don't yet have a trilby hat to go with this aesthetic, though. However, I don't think I could quite pull off wearing suits and even the occasional tuxedo, just about every day. At most, I could pull off the sport coat or blazer look, with odd slacks or chinos.

MissMittens

One Too Many
I have a leopard cat suit on my wish list, but even for me that's kind of outlandish. It's only me that's holding me back though. No one in LA cares!

You're right there, no one in LA gives a darn about anything, except whatever is "cool" at that split second. I was there last in '91 when I was a teen, doing the whole *ahem* hairband thing........no one blinked or looked twice if you walked down the road with tight ripped jeans and more makeup than a professional streetwalker LOL. You should totally do it, and post a picture of course ;) :lol:

Alex

Practically Family
I was chicken to grease my hair and wear 50s style clothes but I got over that. Now I'm too chicken to wear an overcoat.. especially at school since they are synonymous with that whole Columbine ordeal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael