Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this a Buco J-82 or J-24?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Man… I was beaten to this jacket by someone who doesn't know what it is, and who we're helping to scalp it…

@JMax and @Will Zach I'd recommend removing the belt info before this becomes cause for further scalping.

Voorslag

New in Town
Man… I was beaten to this jacket by someone who doesn't know what it is, and who we're helping to scalp it…

@JMax and @Will Zach I'd recommend removing the belt info before this becomes cause for further scalping.
Haha-what a fool. Who says I'm looking to "scalp" it? I don't know the exact model, and that means I'm assuredly "scalping" it. Ill-advised and envious, and thus sad.

What’s the story here? It’s def an j-82. On eBay for $270? Frankly, that’s where they belong price wise in my opinion but either way in the “Tanaka age” it’s certainly a great deal. The belt is really something too. Congrats on the jacket. Does it fit? Let’s see some fit pics!

This hobby has certainly grown a broader audience and no doubt some prospectors but I’d be lying myself if I saw that for $270 and didn’t hit the bin, regardless of the size, to absolutely flip. Gotta strike while the iron is hot, and for reasons that elude me, these Buco’s carry disproportionate value.

I'm always reluctant to BIN on these suspiciously low priced Buco's 'cause I simply can't believe anyone would actually pay more for it than what it had originally been listed for. I've missed out on at least to J-100's that sold at approx. $200.
Okay, at $20, I would expect some profit but at $270... Yet there's always someone ready to drop a grand on one.

That's a nice jacket there, though. Sears Oakbrook D-pocket nice, which does put it at $250 range. The belt is funny.

It's an annoying phenomenon, I agree & a consistently imbecilic pricing for this brand. It's neither rare nor of any particularly outstanding quality. Cal has it beat by a long mile in quality, early Sears or Wolf or Knopf in rarity. We've all been lost in translation long enough. . .

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I am a Cal leathers and Californian person my self. This j-82 reminds me of the 50s last production D pocket HD. I like the simple lines and functionality. The steer used by Buco is a cool looking leather. The best feature of the hide is the way in which it was finished. The patina develops very nicely. As a big fan of CR style jackets, I think the j100 from Buco, is one of the most practical but the most overpriced reproduction in the market. The J-82 is a worthy sample to be reproduced.

Last edited:
I am a Cal leathers and Californian person my self. This j-82 reminds me of the50s last production D pocket HD. I like the simple lines and functionality. The steer used by Buco is a cool looking leather. The best feature of the hide is the way in which it was finished. They patina very nicely. As a big fan of CR style jackets, I think the j100 from Buco, is one of the most practical but the most overpriced reproduction in the market. I think the J-82 is a worthy sample to be reproduced.

A couple of years ago I considered having Vanson make me a grey padded j-82. Even talked to Constantine about sourcing some Shinki that he liked. He was going to have Vanson build him a jacket too. And….it never happened. Don’t recall why. Maybe I was drawn to the LW LT B that was a new offering. I can’t recall. Woulda been cool. I do love me a clean D pocket and tasteful stud work.

A couple of years ago I considered having Vanson make me a grey padded j-82. Even talked to Constantine about sourcing some Shinki that he liked. He was going to have Vanson build him a jacket too. And….it never happened. Don’t recall why. Maybe I was drawn to the LW LT B that was a new offering. I can’t recall. Woulda been cool. I do love me a clean D pocket and tasteful stud work.

If you can, give RMC J-82 a try. Seriously, among the best jackets I've ever handled. Having really handled everything noteworthy there is, I can tell you for a fact that leather jackets can't get any better than that. I mean, don't get me wrong, we are talking Vanson Chopper grade jacket here but that's as good as it gets in general so yeah... Go check it out, regardless of a $3K price tag.

If you can, give RMC J-82 a try. Seriously, among the best jackets I've ever handled. Having really handled everything noteworthy there is, I can tell you for a fact that leather jackets can't get any better than that. I mean, don't get me wrong, we are talking Vanson Chopper grade jacket here but that's as good as it gets in general so yeah... Go check it out, regardless of a $3K price tag.

I have always liked that RMC. Hopefully I can find one to check out. It really is a stunner.

Now I’m thinking about a gray jacket again. Dammit. Vanson E nightmares inbound.

Aloysius

Still expensive but with the current yen it's $1800. Good time for someone who was planning to get one to buy it.

Voorslag

New in Town
Thanks to everyone for chiming in. For those curious, what got me the jacket was incessantly calling the owner by phone. I found his business number. Anyhow, it's quite snug on me (I'm commonly a 40 and this is snug at 42) and I've never thought I looked right in a biker jacket. I chiefly collect the old Grizzly jackets and occasionally a plain bomber. What's odd is, when I got the jacket, I reached out to several makers of repros, and they have all given me different answers as to what it is, namely, J-24 or J-82. Just this morning, The Armoury said they thought it was a J-24. You folks seem positive about it being a J-82.

Cheech

A-List Customer
It’s definitely a J82. Here’s my RMC repro. Incidentally, I sold this a year ago but ended up trading back for it a few months ago. This current iteration has the quilted padding on the shoulders and elbows, but RMC has made a version like yours without the padding.

A734A166-B5FF-4C5B-A7BA-9A02D339B1C7.jpeg

Blackadder

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk