Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this custom only?

Oldsarge

One Too Many
In his blog, A Suitable Wardrobe, today Will Boelke sings the praises of the midnight blue hat for occasions after six. It certainly seems logical, given that midnight blue makes for better evening wear than true black does. The question is, where do you get one? Does anyone know of a maker of midnight blue homburgs, lords' hats or even fedora that are fur felt and of good quality? Or is this something for the man of such rarefied taste that only bespoke will do?
Thanx,

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My guess is that blue as a color is not sufficiently popular for the major hatmakers to bother with--Borsalino, Hatco, and others. You may find the odd one in a Borsalino lineup from time to time, perhaps, but I wouldn't count on it. These makers certainly don't make homburgs or lord's hats either. So your best bet is E Bay, where I woudn't hold my breath either, or a custom maker.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I have a Stylemaster from Akubra that is supposed to be dark blue (though I see no blue in it, I have to say--to my eyes, it's black).

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In his blog, A Suitable Wardrobe, today Will Boelke sings the praises of the midnight blue hat for occasions after six. It certainly seems logical, given that midnight blue makes for better evening wear than true black does. The question is, where do you get one? Does anyone know of a maker of midnight blue homburgs, lords' hats or even fedora that are fur felt and of good quality? Or is this something for the man of such rarefied taste that only bespoke will do?
Thanx,

Hi Sarge

O.K., not to be arguing, but I would have thought that Black is better after six, why is blue better? I wear blue suits, but not a blue tuxedo. I don't understand. I'd wear a navy blue hat, but it's not on my short list.

Thanks

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
There was a gorgeous deep blue fedora on Ebay a couple years ago, from Locke as I recall (that's the British hat maker, right?) Anyway my bid fell far short.

remotehat

New in Town
Thanx,

This Season (Fall 2012) Borsalino has a Dark Blue Fedora in Fur Felt
I got mine at Fedora Primo Hats, in Santa Monica, Ca I think they ship stuff all over

carldelo

One Too Many
Hi Sarge

O.K., not to be arguing, but I would have thought that Black is better after six, why is blue better? I wear blue suits, but not a blue tuxedo. I don't understand. I'd wear a navy blue hat, but it's not on my short list.

Thanks

I have a friend with a midnight-blue tuxedo -- it is gorgeous, and looks distinctive and rich when surrounded by black.

Any of Christy's fedora styles can be ordered in their navy color, e.g. from
http://www.topsecrethats.com/Trilbys-and-Fedoras/Fur-Felt-Trilbys-and-Fedoras

I had a Marlborough in navy that was quite a nice dark blue - the hat was a bit small, however, and I sold it. It also had a fairly tapered crown, although I am not necessarily opposed to that in every case.

PS Bencraft has a number of Borsalino fedora in navy, 3 on the first page alone - Alessandria, Anello and Astuccio:
http://www.bencrafthats.com/list.php?cattype=2&subcatid=4&subcname=Borsalino

PPS and one Stetson in navy, the Saxon:
http://www.bencrafthats.com/product.php?pid=255&subcname=Stetson

Last edited:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Hi Sarge

Thanks

Optically, dark to very dark blue actually looks blacker at night than true black does. I believe it was the Prince of Wales who either discovered or rediscovered this back in the '20's and truly knowledgeable gentlemen have worn midnight blue after six ever since to out-black the black tuxes.

-30-

A-List Customer
"Or is this something for the man of such rarefied taste that only bespoke will do?"
QUOTE, Oldsarge.

Custom only.

The colour: (Canadian spelling, LOL.)
http://leondrexler.com/New_Leon_Drexler_Website/Reference_files/Felt Colours.pdf

The hat:
http://leondrexler.com/New_Leon_Drexler_Website/Budapester.html

The website:
http://leondrexler.com/New_Leon_Drexler_Website/Home.html

The hats that Leon Drexler "construct" are of superior quality in comparison to that (POS) Borsalino I had bought

this past summer and priced at $380.00 + tax Cdn. Leon Drexler's (Stephen Temkin) are slightly more expensive,

at $425.00 Cdn, but over time will show their total worth if for nothing else than with pride of ownership.

I ordered a new fedora from this gentleman a week and a half ago and will "patiently await the delivery".

Regards.

Last edited:

Mulceber

Practically Family
Also, Art Fawcett has some very nice Midnight Blue hats and his work is of course proverbially excellent. Probably a little outside of what you're looking for, but worth the mention. -M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ