Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this custom only?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Or is this something for the man of such rarefied taste that only bespoke will do?
I don't believe there is such a thing as a bespoke hat where as with suits and shoes unique patterns and lasts are made of the individual's dimensions. I'd say it's more of a MTM (made to measure) process where the hatter works of measurements. Or even MTO (made to order) where you are fitted to a standard size but choose the block, color, ribbon, etc....

carldelo

One Too Many
I don't believe there is such a thing as a bespoke hat where as with suits and shoes unique patterns and lasts are made of the individual's dimensions. I'd say it's more of a MTM (made to measure) process where the hatter works of measurements. Or even MTO (made to order) where you are fitted to a standard size but choose the block, color, ribbon, etc....

Custom hatters who use a conformer (e.g. Art) are generating a template based on the actual noggin of the customer - I believe this qualifies as 'bespoke'. Others who are making hats to a specified pattern and size are doing MTO as you say.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Optically, dark to very dark blue actually looks blacker at night than true black does. I believe it was the Prince of Wales who either discovered or rediscovered this back in the '20's and truly knowledgeable gentlemen have worn midnight blue after six ever since to out-black the black tuxes.

Thanks Sarge, that's not something that's "obvious" you'd have to test if.

later

carldelo

One Too Many
I like the hat, but hate the ribbon treatment. I'm guessing the felt is nice from the high price.
One thing I like a lot is the lining - this is from http://www.villagehatshop.com/stetson-tehachapi-loop.html

large_130695StetsonTehachapiLoop6.jpg

Glenzo at Sixty One

New in Town
I own one. The photo is a poor representation of the actual hat. The colors are all off. The hat is exquisite in both hand and hue. I've never posted anything in the forum before though I've been lurking around for a while. Now is as good a time as any to post so here's a quote for all you otherwise inconsequential galoots out there whos coronals have come not bestowed, but gathered as spent cast offs of humbler men from another time. It hung above the sink in my grandmother's kitchen. "Be careful of the words you speak. Keep them short and sweet. You'll never know from day to day which ones you'll have to eat."

-30-

A-List Customer
"here's a quote for all you otherwise inconsequential galoots out there whos coronals have come not bestowed, but
gathered as spent cast offs of humbler men from another time."
QUOTE: Glenzo at Sixty One.

Is this the start of a sub for the "Is this custom only" thread:
Inconsequential Galoots.

-30-

frussell

One Too Many
I had one blue hat about a year ago, deep midnight blue with a crimson edge binding and ribbon. It was the sharpest hat I've ever seen in person, but was too tight so I passed it on. Someday I'll get Art or Tony to make me one just like it. I think it was a Borsalino, but I've blocked the memory because the disappointment was too much when it didn't fit. Damn, that was a good looking color combo, even though it was way flashier than my taste normally runs to. Frank

-30-

A-List Customer
My thought is that it looks too "busy", especially with that Stetson "tab", although it can be removed as it is not sewn but only held as a stickey.

Regards,
-30-

Last edited:

carldelo

One Too Many
My thought is that it looks too "busy", especially with that Stetson "tab", although it can be removed as it is not sewn but only held as a stickey.

Regards,
-30-

Agreed - the silly tabs come off quite easily, but the ribbon.....
It might be OK in person, I may go look it over in person soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran