Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this jacket too short?

That jacket is

• Total voters

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi FLers,

This is still bugging me. Its my LVC/Aero Blue Black Goat Speedway. My recent acquisition of the DD cropped Buco J-100 has made me re-evaluate what I consider the "correct" length for a jacket and I'm starting to think that maybe the LVC jacket might not be too short......it does cover my belt which seems to what a lot of people consider long enough. I see pics on the internet (especially Insurrections pics) and people seem to look fine with a jacket this short, I guess I'm just not used to me being the person wearing such a short jacket.

Anyway, please vote in the Poll either too short or long enough. Appreciate all opinions on this.

Thanks

*Apologies for the selfies, the wife is out atm and besides I'm not sure I can stand another eye roll session if I ask her to take more pics of me in a jacket ;)

I prefer them longer.
To me, it should hit just below that point (in the middle) above the pockets.
Others will probably differ....
;-)

Chi-Town Co

Familiar Face
The back looks short to me. I prefer a longer jacket as well. The length may be good if you use this jacket for riding..

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I actually prefer jacket on the fitted side and hate super long sleeves and bodies.
To me the front looks good, the back looks ok but could do with maybe an extra inch if you really want to be critical.

If it was mine i would wear it.

I'll be honest with you. Looks like there is some extra leather across the chest and back with the side buckles cinched very tight to take in the extra mass. I think the body and sleeve length may be borderline...but then I wear my leather jackets with what looks like 1 or 1 1/2" more length in both areas.
HD

Jeigernaut

New in Town
Does look a bit big. Length would prolly look ok if it were slimmer. Looking back on your j-100, id say the fit looks good on it. Its shorter than is typical but it looks great like it is.

ProteinNerd

I really appreciate the honest appraisal guys. Its interesting you think it looks big...I can only just squeeze my shoulders into it but then, as usual I have to cinch the crap out of it to compensate for my slim waist....

Maybe the slim half belt style just doesn't suit my body type?

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Length is fine. Not too short. The problem is with the low-waisted trousers.
These jackets, particularly in the shorter 1930's pattern, need higher waisted trousers. Give it a try!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Is it short? Yes. But there is a difference between having a short jacket and having a short jacket that looks goofy. You don't look goofy. In person you probably pull the look off well.

technovox

One Too Many
I agree with nick.

And at first glance, the back seems to be a bit on the short side. But perhaps that is the way it is intended be cut. Especially, if one were to think of it in terms of a Rock and Roll jacket, ala Keith Richards, Steve Tyler. And even the famous (and extremely collectable) East West jackets were often cut and worn a little shorter.
As long as the rest of it feels correct. Does it feel too short in the sleeves as well? Too tight in the shoulders? If so, then that would be an indication that it's too small. You're the ultimate judge.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
If someone told me my jackets looked rock n' roll I'd be over the moon. Highest compliment anyone can give out IMO!

Lone Starr

New in Town
The cropping of the front photo makes it a little hard to judge how it lays on the shoulders. The sleeve length is just right. Having the straps pulled so tightly really increases the appearance that it is riding too high and accentuates the feeling that something is off. Possibly have a professional tailor take your measurements and confirm you are in the appropriate size. Maybe you'd fit better in one size smaller in long? I think if it were loosened a bit at the sides, well worked in and shaped to your body it would look more natural on you. Good luck. How about an Aero Café? They're inherently slim.

ProteinNerd

Thanks for the suggestions lone star, I've loosened the side straps and it does look a little better.

Sadly the light has gone bad here but I'll update with another pic tomorrow, I'll make sure not to crop the shoulders.

There is no doubt that a slightly longer one would probably be better, its just judging whether it will be worth the $600 difference between selling this one and buying a new one.

As for the cafe racer...already got a few of them :D

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I think it is just a bit too short, especially in the back. Although, that is possibly due to the fact that it appears more baggy in the back.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
For me it would be too short but it really comes down to if you are comfortable in it.
The fact your posting this thread suggests maybe not?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Looked at it a couple of times, and it's really down to you. I don't think it looks too short but it does sits right on the cusp, where it comes down to how you feel. I've got a couple of jackets that are like this and nobody's ever said 'that's too short!' Maybe people are more polite than I thought! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner