Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this Schott defective?

Booneville

New in Town
Came across on eBay this Schott jacket with dry and cracked leather. I remember Schott selling a similar jacket as defective.

Can this be fixed with a leather conditioner?

thanks

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 148

Observe

One Too Many
I'm having a hard time making out anything from that picture. Conditioner will not fix cracks but it will make the leather softer and more flexible which may prevent further damage. Some stuff is beyond saving, however.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Since the OP has no experience with quality leather, I'll elaborate. The part of hide that is grained like that, is outermost, and also tends to be the strongest. It is the most desirable due to its strength and unique character - hides have different grain depending on the animal and even their location on an animal. Tanneries may remove the topmost layer when they process the hides and sell it for more, and sell the smooth, lower layers for less - they are typically somewhat weaker and have no grain. Some tanneries will actually print or emboss grain on those smooth layers to make them look like the topmost layer!

Booneville

New in Town
Since the OP has no experience with quality leather, I'll elaborate. The part of hide that is grained like that, is outermost, and also tends to be the strongest. It is the most desirable due to its strength and unique character - hides have different grain depending on the animal and even their location on an animal. Tanneries may remove the topmost layer when they process the hides and sell it for more, and sell the smooth, lower layers for less - they are typically somewhat weaker and have no grain. Some tanneries will actually print or emboss grain on those smooth layers to make them look like the topmost layer!
thanks

OK. Maybe that's my lack of experience with leather. Maybe the correct word was "creases" or "wrinkles". But looks like from the other comments, the jacket is fine.

Leather that is dry & cracking looks exactly like that. You can't really mistake it for anything else; The surface will literally be cracked and it won't look good. I understand that you may not have much experience with this but once you do see a leather that's cracked, you will not have any doubts about it.

This kind of texture, so to call it, what you're seeing here on the photo you posted is entirely characteristic of good leather and it is in fact any perfectly smooth or uniform looking hide that should worry you. Well, not worry but that's not what a product made of leather should look like. Part of the charm of leather is its unpredictability that makes each leather garment unique, to an extent.

It is good to ask, though, if you're unsure. That's why we're here.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112