Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this the worst color Flight Jacket ever? Tan / Gold CWU 36 - P

calderoni

New in Town
Dear bn 1966,
question for you: i saw u got an XL, but usually for beands like ralph Lauren or Nike what's the size you s
usually wear for a jacket?
I tryed a nomex L and the sleeves were ok for the lenght but it was vey short!
What about the length of an XL? I,'. 191 cm

thx

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I know two guys from another forum who are serving US personnel who said that they dumped the tan ones as soon as they got them and pulled out their old sage CWUs.

One thing in its favour as they pointed out, you might just have a window of opportunity to leg it and escape if you happened to be shot down, whilst the muj were laughing at your jacket's colour ;)

Last edited:

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tan / Gold could certainly have a tactical distraction value Smithy :p. I like it for the novelty value. It's the sage I wear during daylight hours. Gold for after dark. :cool:

bn1966

Hi Calderoni, I usually wear a size XL in modern jackets..never an XXL (well, maybe on Japanese jackets E.G Buzz). The thing to remember about the CWU nomex flight jackets is that they were never intended to be paired with jeans etc. CWU's would so I'm, told be worn over a flight suit & some may find them rather short for civilian wear (I like quite a short jacket myself). There is variation within the various manufacturers with jacket length. Propper & Valley I have found quite short, whereas Ashland & Gibraltar jackets seem to come up a bit longer & that extra:D inch or so can make all the difference :D

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I agree. Valley runs small, generally. A well-made jacket, but skimpy. I had to give my Valley CWU-45P to my brother in law...which hurt my feelings because that jacket was absolutely mint when I scored it from eBay. Oddly enough, I have a Valley USN deck jacket that is huge for its size. (Cool jacket, though. It came off the USS Ronald Reagan.)

My Alphas are spot on size wise and are plenty long for me. Both of my Isratex jackets have a somewhat generous cut, I would say.

AF

bn1966

I hope you get a great CWU real soon. I like the fact that most of these jackets are still cheap to buy & offer affordable style and quality. My current ambition is to purchase an early bi-swing back version. I have enough late CWU 36 P jackets for now (2 keepers) and a couple to sell on. Keeping my favourite two: the Ashland Tan & Gibraltar Sage (both XL & on the generous side) :cool:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Maybe not the most attractive shade whilst waltzing down the high street but functional in desert areas.

Tan is all the go at the moment, there's been a fair bit of footage here of aircrew off to do the biz in Iraq and they're all wearing tan flight suits. The G-suits are still green but the zoom bags are desert tan.

It's a sign of the times ;)

Big J

Call Me a Cab
What you really want is for the RAF to make cold weather flying jackets in that lovely desert pink color they painted their aircraft for the iraq war.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner