Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this the worst color Flight Jacket ever? Tan / Gold CWU 36 - P

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just scored this NOS CWU - 36 P Nomex Flight Jacket from the Bay. The Tan is more like a Gold, wife laughed, when can I wear this thing? Will it "tone" down with wear & weather? Has anyone any experience with this color? Can I wear it out in broad daylight? The fit is absolutely fantastic, has the elastic strap across the back.

IMG_0368(1).jpg IMG_0364(1).jpg

bn1966

Note: The "Tan" does look more "Gold" & is shiny under bright light. This jacket is best viewed in low light conditions. Think it's a keeper & conversation piece :cool:Sunglasses needed to appreciate this beauty!!

bn1966

Champagne / Gold! Maybe! On the VLJ there are concerns about where you could wear this colour from fellow CWU Tan owners. I don't want to be looking at a divorce. Mind, this color is so extreme it's kind of cool....photos don't do the Gold tone justice. Viewers have said "yuk" & then said "keep it"!!! :cool:

Stand By

One Too Many
Eeesh. My first thought was that it looked a bit 1970s sci-fi - like Buck Rogers In The 25th Century.
So I had a quick Google ... and Oh, sweet Jesus, here he is! :eeek:

PS. And I'm so sorry, but yes is the answer to your question ...

Attachments

• Gil Gerard.jpg
    Gil Gerard.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,365
Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Your jacket might be related to the SUMMER SHADE 193. Better known as the Silver Tans. I have also heard it referred to, as Sun Tans, probably because of the metallic gold color. A friend of mine that I worked with at an FBO in the 90s, was a retired Korean war fighter pilot and Lieutenant Colonel, he had a set he wore to a party, really sharp looking. The Air Force should bring these back and the Ike jacket!

http://usafflagranks.com/usaf_summer_service_dress_coat.html

bn1966

Thanks for the comments & links guys. Does anyone know if the Ashland Sales & Service Co made CWU's in green?

Deacon211

One Too Many
Maybe the pics do not quite capture the color, but that looks like a pretty standard desert flight jacket.

I don't know who made mine, but it was light tan like that and didn't look too different from the flight suit, though the sheen is a bit different since Nomex is shiny...just be glad it isn't nylon (or Flight Satin as some people call it), then you'd really look like Buck Rogers! :)

Depending on where you wear it, it'll dirty up and fade a bit. I also think that Nomex loses its shine after awhile.

Deacon

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Maybe the pics do not quite capture the color, but that looks like a pretty standard desert flight jacket.

I don't know who made mine, but it was light tan like that and didn't look too different from the flight suit, though the sheen is a bit different since Nomex is shiny...just be glad it isn't nylon (or Flight Satin as some people call it), then you'd really look like Buck Rogers! :)

Depending on where you wear it, it'll dirty up and fade a bit. I also think that Nomex loses its shine after awhile.

Deacon

I'm with Deacon on this one. It look likes a standard desert tan Nomex jacket. I've only seen Marines wear these. I am not sure about the fixed wing guys, but Navy helo guys don't get em.

Deacon211

One Too Many
I only got mine in 2009 or so. I don't know who was going to get them eventually. I just assumed they were beginning to make the rounds around the desert deploying squadrons. Interesting that they aren't widespread now.

hatguy1

One Too Many
Your jacket might be related to the SUMMER SHADE 193. Better known as the Silver Tans. I have also heard it referred to, as Sun Tans, probably because of the metallic gold color. A friend of mine that I worked with at an FBO in the 90s, was a retired Korean war fighter pilot and Lieutenant Colonel, he had a set he wore to a party, really sharp looking. The Air Force should bring these back and the Ike jacket!

http://usafflagranks.com/usaf_summer_service_dress_coat.html

+1

Stand By

One Too Many
Interesting comments here, guys.
Now I look at the jacket again, and reading the desert-related comments, now I can see that the colour looks a bit like one of my all-time favourite camouflage colours, namely the "desert pink" colour that the USAF XII/XV B-25s used to sport in the early years of the MTO ... and if it was matt/satin and fades out, I reckon I could go for that in the Summer months ...

So if that's the case, that would change my answer to the title to No.

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
Well, I'm glad you said it out loud, Aerojoe, as that too was my first reaction - that I wouldn't want to wear it downtown in a certain neighbourhood (I imagine me being chased like a chase scene in Benny Hill with me at the front with it on and a flock of fellas behind!) ... but then again, focusing on the jacket itself, I'm thinking it could be hard to actually judge the colour and material (for the sheen) from the photos alone. I wish I could see it being worn in natural light to judge it fairly.

Last edited:

bn1966

Wore it to a family meal Saturday where it caused quite a stir (to the house, took it off for dinner). I need to get it a bit dirty: some rain , some sleet ,some snow & do the breaking in on dark nights when no-one else is about. :cool:

Deacon211

One Too Many
Hehe,

Don't worry, it'll dirty up soon enough. I always liked my Nomex jackets for being fire retardant....and that's it. I guess they couldn't apply anything to it to make it stain or water resistant, because that thing soaked up rain like a sponge and got grimy in a hurry.

Not exactly what I would prefer to wear if I got shot down and had to survive...except to use for catching rainwater. ;-)

The sheen comes off it pretty fast too if my green jackets are anything to judge by. I didn't wear my desert very much, but Nomex seems to dull much faster than nylon.

Mine does look a bit goldish pink too if that's any consolation. :)

Deacon

bn1966

Thanks Deacon, goldfish pink is preferable to disco gold. Will try the dirty approach as far as this jacket is concerned. Did consider selling it on (these can fetch good money sometimes)...but I fancy a challenge! :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic