Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Veal for dinner?

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
I think of Veal as quite the goldenage meal.
whether it was VealChop, Veal Parmagiana or Wiener schnitzel

It hasnt been popular the last few years, but its making a comeback.

Veal to Love, Without the Guilt
18veal600.1.jpg

Shearer

Practically Family
I once ate veal three nights in a row while I was dining on a corporate credit card at some fine establishments in DC. Unintentional, but there you go.

My friend in Greenpeace didn't think to highly of me for it.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The Calf's Head Club

Mrs. Isabella Beeton's Book of Household Management said:
When the restoration of Charles II. took the strait waistcoat off the minds and morose religion of the Commonwealth period, and gave a loose rein to the long-compressed spirits of the people, there still remained a large section of society wedded to the former state of things. The elders of this party retired from public sight, where, unoffended by the reigning saturnalia, they might dream in seclusion over their departed Utopia. The young bloods of this school, however, who were compelled to mingle in the world, yet detesting the politics which had become the fashion, adopted a novel expedient to keep alive their republican sentiments, and mark their contempt of the reigning family. They accordingly met, in considerable numbers, at some convenient inn, on the 30th of January in each year, -- the anniversary of Charles's death, and dined together off a feast prepared from calves' heads, dressed in every possible variety of way, and with an abundance of wine drank toasts of defiance and hatred to the house of Stuart, and glory to the memory of old Holl Cromwell; and having lighted a large bonfire in the yard, the club of fast young Puritans, with their white handkerchiefs stained red in wine, and one of the party in a mask, bearing an axe, followed by the chairman, carrying a calf's head pinned up in a napkin, marched in mock procession to the bonfire, into which, with great shouts and uproar, they flung the enveloped head. This odd custom was continued for some time, and even down to the early part of this century it was customary for men of republican politics always to dine off calf's head on the 30th of January.

More about Mrs. B.'s Book of H.H.M.
Mrs. B.'s Veal Recipes

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
As glorious as that all sounds... I can't eat chicken or anything straight off a bone... I don't think I could eat a head. *I sure hope I read that right so I don't come off like a moron.* *too late*

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Shearer said:
I once ate veal three nights in a row while I was dining on a corporate credit card at some fine establishments in DC. Unintentional, but there you go.

My friend in Greenpeace didn't think to highly of me for it.

But you perpetually impress me.

You should be on the cast of Heroes....

I bet if you were on LOST, they'd parachute dharma veal in for you. Watch out for Hugo...

Shearer

Practically Family
MrBern said:
But you perpetually impress me.

You should be on the cast of Heroes....

I bet if you were on LOST, they'd parachute dharma veal in for you. Watch out for Hugo...

Why do I think Dharma veal would be greenish grey in colour? :eek:

You ain't seen nothing til you've had my Saltimbocca. Then you can die happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner