Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

is wearing a shirt without an undershirt improper for the golden era?

AntonAAK

Practically Family
With regard to the original question I would imagine that the views of those in the 'golden era' would differ in a similar way to the views here. Some people would have preferred to wear one, others not. Personal preference.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I always wear an undershirt. In South Florida, it's typically over 85 year-round. The cotton undershirt keeps my dress shirt from sticking to my sweaty (although handsome) body. Avoids embarrassing underarm stains, too. In my opinion, there's nothing more distasteful than seeing a man's sweaty, hairy chest through his dress shirt.

The same could be said of me here in Southern California. However, when it really gets hot, I prefer an athletic t-shirt, even if it doesn't absorb underarm sweat. During the winter, though, I prefer crew-necks (sometimes v-necks). I presently use Stafford and Jockey, and find them comfortable and long-lasting.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
My drill instructor also beat it into us that a Marine always wore an undershirt (although not technically required by the uniform regs). Let's just say he was a very persuasive individual.

The same here (Army), even with fatigues, even in the desert...On another note, I still sometimes wear my old (but still serviceable) brown briefs from time to time...

AntonAAK

Practically Family
I've been thinking about this and have realised that one factor might influence why people might choose not to wear an undershirt (or vest as we call it). I almost never remove my jacket in public so to me the shirt is underwear. I can see how if you are just wearing a shirt it might make it look and feel better to have a layer between it and your skin. But I always have a layer on top so the shirt is the undershirt and only the collar, cuffs and a small portion of the front are visible.

Does that make any sense?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I always have a layer on top so the shirt is the undershirt
But in very warm weather don't you sweat right through to your suit/sport coat? That's why I wear undershirts; to keep my jackets dry in hot weather.[huh]

8b32183v.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
It may last longer stinky but it is still stinky. :p
Wearing an undershirt will keep your jacket perspiration free; no sweat, no odors. I have garments (mostly Fall/Winter) that haven't been dry-cleaned in several years and smell perfectly fine because they haven't been sweated in. I just give them a good brushing and air them out after a wearing. Most times I visit a dry cleaner to have them deal with a stain.

Wearing an undershirt will keep your jacket perspiration free; no sweat, no odors. I have garments (mostly Fall/Winter) that haven't been dry-cleaned in several years and smell perfectly fine because they haven't been sweated in. I just give them a good brushing and air them out after a wearing. Most times I visit a dry cleaner to have them deal with a stain.

You mean YOU don't smell anything. lol lol lol

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
No, he doesn't. If the jacket isn't full of sweat it doesn't stink. On the other hand, if it reeks of sweat dry cleaning will be of no help at all, as sweat is water soluble.

No, he doesn't. If the jacket isn't full of sweat it doesn't stink. On the other hand, if it reeks of sweat dry cleaning will be of no help at all, as sweat is water soluble.

I have never had the problem but I have never had a problem dry cleaning clothing either. There is also a water based dry cleaning process over here if that were a problem.
There must be plenty of stinky dudes that I have never come across over here. I have never sweat through a regular shirt but I certainly would with a t shirt under it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24