Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

is wearing a shirt without an undershirt improper for the golden era?

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
If it's water based it's not dry cleaning but wet cleaning, as far as I know. Dry cleaning is always bad for the garments, so you should limit it to the absolute minimum.

Before dry cleaning was available they used spot cleaning for spots and aired the clothes out regularly. Sometimes they brushed them with coffee to get out the funk.

If it's water based it's not dry cleaning but wet cleaning, as far as I know. Dry cleaning is always bad for the garments, so you should limit it to the absolute minimum.

Before dry cleaning was available they used spot cleaning for spots and aired the clothes out regularly. Sometimes they brushed them with coffee to get out the funk.

Whatever the case, you have several choices.

Geez, thank God for modern conveniences! No wonder when I get new to me suits dry cleaned from back then the guy complains that he had to change the fluid because it got so clogged up with dirt. All that airing and spot cleaning didn't get everything. lol lol lol

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Of course it didn't. Neither does wet cleaning. Or dry cleaning. Each cleaning method has its strengths and weaknesses. All I'm saying is dry cleaning is completely ineffective when it comes to getting rid of the stink.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I have never sweat through a regular shirt but I certainly would with a t shirt under it.
No you wouldn't. I know it sounds incongruous that an extra layer would keep you cooler but it's a fact. I was advised by a native Houstonian to wear an undershirt on my first summer in that hellhole. I was very skeptical of the advise but low and behold it worked like a charm.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
All I'm saying is dry cleaning is completely ineffective when it comes to getting rid of the stink.
And a garment can actually acquire odors in the process if the establishment is not diligent in changing it's dry cleaning fluid on a regular basis. The overwhelming majority of establishments are negligent in that area. That's where they cut corners.

Just not ruining expensive dress shirts makes it worth while to me. And I don't have to clean them after just one wearing. Otherwise, my shirts die sooner. I might feel differently in Daytona Beach FL though.

green papaya

One Too Many
Just not ruining expensive dress shirts makes it worth while to me. And I don't have to clean them after just one wearing. Otherwise, my shirts die sooner. I might feel differently in Daytona Beach FL though.

wearing undershirts does help keep your shirts cleaner and you can wear them a couple times before washing, depending on the weather conditions

in places like San Francisco where it get cool and breezy often, a undershirt helps keep me from getting cold and I dont need to carry a jacket most of the time

KenDale

New in Town
I wear A-shirts (tank style) undershirts and must agree that an undershirt does help to protect your dress shirt. During the golden era, this was the preferred style of undershirt. Fortunately, I do not sweat profusely so the lack of underarm coverage is not a problem. Too, as long as the armholes are not cut too deeply do you have some absorption of underarm sweat.

No you wouldn't. I know it sounds incongruous that an extra layer would keep you cooler but it's a fact. I was advised by a native Houstonian to wear an undershirt on my first summer in that hellhole. I was very skeptical of the advise but low and behold it worked like a charm.

Yes I would. Hawaii was plenty warm in a wool three piece suit with a T shirt on. I sweat right through it. The next day---no t-shirt. I was fine. It doesn't work for me but if it does for you then fine wear them. :p

tealseal

A-List Customer
I suppose you burn the stinky ones then?

As an aside here, does anyone here know of anti-perspirant? lol lol lol
Oh yes. That's the stuff with the zinc that turns the underarm area of your shirts yellow. Thing about a white cotton undershirt is that they can be laundered in hot water with bleach, something I refuse to do with my expensive dress shirts!

Oh yes. That's the stuff with the zinc that turns the underarm area of your shirts yellow. Thing about a white cotton undershirt is that they can be laundered in hot water with bleach, something I refuse to do with my expensive dress shirts!

Uh, they make anti-perspirant without zinc as many people, such as myself, are alergic to zinc.
I don't get it. If you don't wash your shirts then what do you do. They aren't goiong to last forever no matter what you do. Mine cost me about $100 each and they still get laundered every wearing. They last me twenty years. That is likely more than I should ask. :p

tealseal

A-List Customer
Uh, they make anti-perspirant without zinc as many people, such as myself, are alergic to zinc.
I don't get it. If you don't wash your shirts then what do you do. They aren't goiong to last forever no matter what you do. Mine cost me about $100 each and they still get laundered every wearing. They last me twenty years. That is likely more than I should ask. :p
I didn't say I don't wash my dress shirts. I said that I don't use hot water and bleach on them. Dealing with sweat stains on cheap cotton T shirts is what I prefer to do. I also prefer to not have sweat visible on my back or under my arms (is there a chest and back antiperspirant that I'm not aware of?). Living in a place where the temperature is almost always over 100F means sweat happens.
The undershirt for me is an essential component of how I like to present myself, as well as temperature regulation. Men that can go day-to-day without visible sweat on their shirts, who find undershirts uncomfortable, or who can afford to have things dry cleaned weekly, can certainly ditch it. I'm just not one of those men.

I always wear V-Necks with my shirts. They don't show with an open collar, and they keep the sweat off my good shirts, and are easily washed and bleached, which was all mentioned prior in this thread.

I think it's important to consider what kind of shirt you're wearing if you're not going to wear a shirt underneath, if the fabric is too light, you may show more than you wish to. I see it all the time and it makes people look sloppy. That's just my opinion, take it for what it's worth. (not very much lol)

jkingrph

Practically Family
I always wear a white cotton undershirt. For me it does two things:
1) It keeps a clean, trim look, especially if you follow Matt Deckard's suggestions about tucking it into your undershorts

2) More importantly, with the temperatures here sitting pretty at 100+ degrees, I tend to sweat. If I'm wearing an undershirt, I sweat into it and don't sweat on my dress shirt. This means that there aren't any visible sweaty spots in my armpit and back area. Plus, a white undershirt is MUCH easier to launder than a dress shirt; if you do get sweat stains on it, or if the zinc in your antiperspirant stains your shirt's underarm yellow, you can use bleach and hot water wash.

From your description you are wearing a white cotton t-shirt as a undershirt. Thats what I do because I agree about protecting the armpit of my dress or sport shirt. When I hear the term undershirt, I think of the old stule ribbed knit shirts with no sleeves, only narrow shoulder straps.

jkingrph

Practically Family
My drill instructor also beat it into us that a Marine always wore an undershirt (although not technically required by the uniform regs). Let's just say he was a very persuasive individual.

I was USAF, enlisted for very brief time, basic and two months hold for OTS, then officer for remainder of my time. We were required to wear t shirts under summer open collar uniforms, depending on commanders, crew neck or v neck. Some wanted t shirt collar to show, others did not. Go figure.

In basic and OTS, in fatigues, white t shirts. Later in BDU's, t shirts ranged from black to brown to OD. At one time I had all 3 colors plus my white for wear under dress uniform.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24