Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is "yanks" an offensive title

Doublegun

Practically Family
Have never heard of that...why Hoosiers?

There are a handful of stories about the origin of "Hoosier." However, the most reasonable is that back in the 1800's there was a lumberman named Hoosier who cut timber throughout southern Indiana. His men, who had the reputation of being tough men, were referred to as Hoosiers men, which was shortened to Hoosiers.

I was born and raised in eastcentral Indiana and am proud of where I come from and am proud to be an American. I find no offense in being called a "Yank."

MissElainey

Familiar Face
Where someone from the southern part of the US may be offended by it or by "Yankee" on occasion, I don't think most of the rest of the US even thinks about the term anymore. As a previous poster said, I associate "Yanks" with something the English would call us, but certainly not offensive. More on the level of buddy or chap, like a little brother, LOL.
Definitely not a nationalistic slur like some mentioned earlier, no. Although as an American of Irish descent, I would personally have a problem if someone used "Mick". But that's just me.

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
A humorous aphorism attributed to E. B. White summarizes these distinctions:

To foreigners, a Yankee is an American.
To Americans, a Yankee is a Northerner.
To Northerners, a Yankee is an Easterner.
To Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander.
To New Englanders, a Yankee is a Vermonter.
And in Vermont, a Yankee is somebody who eats pie for breakfast.

I don't know what's wrong with eating pie for breakfast (so I guess I'm a yankee), but apparently it was quite a faux pas to Mr White.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
Same here. My dad served in WWII and I remember when I was young he occasionally used the terms "limey", "frog", "kraut", etc. when referring to other nationalities. I assume other members of his generation used the same terms without meaning any offense - just part of their times and culture.

Yep. I have an elderly aunt who still refers to the Japanese as "Japs". I'm sure she's never bothered to think about whether or not the term might be offensive in this day and age.

(to any of our Japanese members, tell me, does the term "Jap" offend you? I'm honestly curious.)

To that end, Yank doesn't offend me. Although I've never had the term applied to me....most Americans would never refer to themselves as "Yanks", except perhaps folks in New England, and then it would be "Yankee" instead of the shortened version (guessing here as I've never been to New England).

I am, however, a Nebraskan, and to that end, a Husker! :)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
There are a handful of stories about the origin of "Hoosier."
OT....I'll never forget when Indiana basketball coach Bobby Knight chastised the Northwestern students for chanting Who's your daddy? at a IU/NU game. He thought it was a taunt directed at his black players, some of whom were raised without their fathers. When he was told later at the post game press conference that the term is an expression of domination (NU was winning the game) he just shrugged and left the room. Gotta' love the General.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There's still a magazine called "Yankee," which used to be published by and for genuine born-and-raised Northern New Englanders -- but is now a publication aimed pretty much entirely at people from away. Which kind of shows you where the term stands nowadays.

Marlin Fan

Familiar Face
Treat others the way you want to be treated!!

Yank wouldn't bother me at all. Something like "four eyes" or some four lettered word followed by the word "head" might bother me a little. Even then, the intent and source would be more important than the words themselves.

Some people are overly sensitive. Bottom line: treat others the way you want to be treated!!

Some people don't get it.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Yank wouldn't bother me at all. Something like "four eyes" or some four lettered word followed by the word "head" might bother me a little. Even then, the intent and source would be more important than the words themselves.

Some people are overly sensitive. Bottom line: treat others the way you want to be treated!!

Some people don't get it.

Agreed.

But I look at it this way. Sure folks are overly sensitive. But judging by the selection of people here, there are at least -some- folks who dislike the term and at least cringe a bit inside (even if they don't express it to the person using the term)

Just like any term for people that is slightly derrogatory in nature, (and when you look up the term it comes up as of derrogatory origin in dictionaries) I would personally just steer clear of it, because why accidently insult someone if it can be so easily avoided?

Just like most slang terms there is always an alternative. Why not take the road of most politeness to all others, just like you would wish not to be called something that made you feel odd.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I hadn’t given a lot of thought to it, but the speaker really will affect the weight of the term. A Southerner calling me a Yankee usually doesn’t mean it affectionately. A British subject or someone from the Commonwealth probably intends it differently.

In South America and the Caribbean, Yankee (Yanqui, I sometimes see it spelled) hasn’t ever really been a friendly term for us - Monroe Doctrine and all that, you know.

Funny thing is, I recently skimmed a history of “Yankees in Michigan”, because a lot of this state was settled by New Englanders and New Yorkers. The basic premise was that despite a name change to “Midwesterner”, the Michigan Yankee is a direct descendant of the 19th Century New Englander. So I guess I really am a Yankee.

-Dave

Gromulus

Practically Family
A humorous aphorism attributed to E. B. White summarizes these distinctions:

To foreigners, a Yankee is an American.
To Americans, a Yankee is a Northerner.
To Northerners, a Yankee is an Easterner.
To Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander.
To New Englanders, a Yankee is a Vermonter.
And in Vermont, a Yankee is somebody who eats pie for breakfast.

I don't know what's wrong with eating pie for breakfast (so I guess I'm a yankee), but apparently it was quite a faux pas to Mr White.

That really narrows it down!

Gromulus

Practically Family
Yep. I have an elderly aunt who still refers to the Japanese as "Japs". I'm sure she's never bothered to think about whether or not the term might be offensive in this day and age.

(to any of our Japanese members, tell me, does the term "Jap" offend you? I'm honestly curious.)

:)

I worked for a Japanese owned company for a short period of time and actually have a Japanese Ex-Patriot working for me now. Gotta make sure I never let him know I play "Medal of Honor" at home!

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars
So here I am a Brit with a great deal of affection for you guys across the pond,huge appreciation for what you've given us,I mean most of our lives are defined by what you've created in hollywood and what you've written over the last 50 years,my brother is a very succesful author just publishing his 10th book, born in England but all his books set in the us.Yet we are different,for christs sake we go to war together,regardless!But what are we supposed to say?C'mon,how the hell are we supposed to get all the subtle nuances that you only get if you live there.Would you realise that I ,coming from Cornwall am a celt as opposed to an anglosaxon or a gael.I wouldn't expect you to,but I wouldn't get offended by being called English even if you didn't understand the subtleties,ignorance?How deep do you want go? In the mean time you're yanks and we're Brits,lets keep it simple shall we?We speak the same language,along with the aussies,kiwis,kanuks,etc.Get over yourself!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
But see....why does it necessarily have to be a nickname? American works just fine. As does any other actual nationality term.

And trust me, I have met enough Scots and Irish who would be quite offended at being called English, so its not about getting it -wrong-, its about always picking a slangy term laden with meaning beyond the obvious.

Just as easy to not do that. ;)

Put it this way, those who are offended have probably never told folks so because they do understand the speaker just doesn't know any better. But that doesn't mean they are not still offended deep down, just like you would excuse someone who called you English. You might still not like it.

Why not learn and then not use something like that...rather then just telling others to get over what for them is an actual issue. Tolerance does not consist of saying 'get over yourselves'.....but instead helping that person along, in hopes he helps you along someday when its you who has the issue and he doesn't kick you when you are down.

Last edited:

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars
But see....why does it necessarily have to be a nickname? American works just fine. As does any other actual nationality term.

And trust me, I have met enough Scots and Irish who would be quite offended at being called English, so its not about getting it -wrong-, its about always picking a slangy term laden with meaning beyond the obvious.

Just as easy to not do that. ;)

Put it this way, those who are offended have probably never told folks so because they do understand the speaker just doesn't know any better. But that doesn't mean they are not still offended deep down, just like you would excuse someone who called you English. You might still not like it.

Why not learn and then not use something like that...rather then just telling others to get over what for them is an actual issue. Tolerance does not consist of saying 'get over yourselves'.....but instead helping that person along, in hopes he helps you along someday when its you who has the issue and he doesn't kick you when you are down.
This is fascinating,I really joined the FL because I thought this is what was going on.I mean I love hats,I never leave the house without one on my head,and my hats are great,my vintage watches are something my 13 year old son just wishes I would die so he can inherit,My collection of leather isn't in the league of '58panhead',but it's respectable and whenever I googled areas of interest this site just kept coming up.I have found it really hard to get into a proper conversation,but I've got to say this is one,but REALLY,we don't have an alternative,american is a copout,it's supposed to be short and pithy.C'mon give us an alternative!

Last edited:
This is fascinating,I really joined the FL because I thought this is what was going on.I mean I love hats,I never leave the house without one on my head,and my hats are great,my vintage watches are something my 13 year old son just wishes I would die so he can inherit,My collection of leather isn't in the league of '58panhead',but it's respectable and whenever I googled areas of interest this site just kept coming up.I have found it really hard to get into a proper conversation,but I've got to say this is one,but REALLY,we don't have an alternative,american is a copout,it's supposed to be short and pithy.C'mon give us an alternative!

It seems that you have picked the term 'Yanks' to refer to Americans. To us living in America..we are 'Americans' living in the United states of America(all of us). As far as I know..'we' never(or very rarely) refer to ourselves as 'Yanks'..or much of anything else...except perhaps New Englanders...Midwesterners...Southerners...or Westeners. If we do..certain slang seems to generally have a derogiatory reaction. Those of southern state heritage using leftover Civil War slang really doesn't mean much now in modern U.S. reality. It seems in your country..regional..historical differences hold much more important 'age old' meanings. Perhaps that's why some of us Americans may have a more difficult time figuring out how to actually address your Nationality...unless "Brits"..pertaining to Great Britian.
To us being Americans and prefering to be called just what we are..is not a copout. In this country..we have a tendacy to look at ourselves as just that...no matter our differences. There just is no alternative..unless you must call us 'Yanks'. Since that label has been used for so long by those of Great Britain and elsewhere..we do know that it is a 'pithy' word for only Americans..whether we like it or not. Some do (probably most)..some may not. Although our nations are probably more alike than not...there are still cultural differences that can cause us to look at things differently. Some more dramatic that others. Some music..food...at times humor...and even slang. Havent you noticed?

While I myself rarely use salty language, I'm not offended by much in the way of "foul" language unless it's in ridiculous amounts [as in using them every other word]. Though, I don't particularly care for phrases like Gd. I REALLY don't find what everyone else seems to find offensive about the "other" word for having sex or "bug" off. [huh]

Cursing is very often the one thing that distinguishes a native speaker from a non-native speaker in any language. One might be fluent in another language and know all the swear words but it seems that only a native speaker can curse with that certain vehemence.

HoosierDaddy said:
Although our nations are probably more alike than not...there are still cultural differences that can cause us to look at things differently. Some more dramatic that others. Some music..food...at times humor...and even slang. Havent you noticed?

As an American I've never had much difficulty in deciphering Britspeak. By applying a bit of intelligent guesswork I've found seemingly unfamiliar(to Americans) British slang and cultural references to be quite understandable -- and this was back in the pre-Google days!

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
To us living in America..we are 'Americans' living in the United states of America(all of us).
A Canadian once told me that he thought it arrogant of US citizens to call themselves Americans as there are over a dozen countries in the Americas.

My response.......

2159529314_46639041cc_o.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Oh my goodness. I just read a few posts here. For myself, 'Yanks' is an absolutely harmless, jaunty, fun term with which I have no problem at all. And even if I did - if I were offended - well, them's just the breaks now ain't they? Going through life without being offended and making others speak the way I want them to is not among my rights as a human or an American or a Yank, if you will.

Packin' Heat

One of the Regulars
Some Southern people might take offense, that is those who would prefer to be considered "rebels" or "Dixies," and not part of the Union. Other than that, speaking as a Yank myself, I'm not offended by the term nor have I ever met someone who was (other than an uptight guy from Georgia).

But if you do want to use something that apparently does offend a lot of the folks here (not me), try "USian." :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy